OT: HFPens Community Lounge: A Pocket Full of Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Thought I’d move my Pine Gap story here @End of Line @KIRK

I used to live in Alice Springs which is close to Pine Gap. I knew someone who worked there. His computer froze one day and a minute later security came down with his final payout and they drove him back to town. No reasons given.

I’ve got more to the story but on my iPad HF suddenly stops sometimes and I lose what I wrote. I’ll write the rest later. Can’t be ****ed typing it all again for the 3rd time

I’m surprised that person even divulged they worked there. One of those sites that exists but technically doesn’t exist. Can’t say I’m surprised either how they let him go. When you’ve got a security clearance that’s above TS/SCI and you screw up even a Nanometer you’re gone.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m surprised that person even divulged they worked there. One of those sites that exists but technically doesn’t exist. Can’t say I’m surprised either how they let him go. When you’ve got a security clearance that’s above TS/SCI and you screw up even a Nanometer you’re gone.

There were quite a few Americans in Alice Spings it’s the only town near Pine Gap.

The US paid for the American workers houses to be refitted with 110 volt outlets (Australia is 240 volt) and they flew in all appliances from the US. Huge planes flew in at night probably once a month full of goods (like non-perishable foods) you can only get in the US.

When they were moving on they’d have yard sales. One thing I noticed at pretty much every one of their yard sales was a stack of L. Ron Hubbard books.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just saw that Cities:Skylines was on sale so I finally bought that. I probably screwed up with getting a bundle instead of just the base game, but it was only like a $20 difference so I don't think it's a big deal.

This is the exact kind of game I like to play, those real life management simulators. I already love Planet Zoo and Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I imagine Cities:Skylines is in that group.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Same. Really liked it though.

Now that I think about it, it is really impressive writing / direction to go from torture, pain, misery, maiming, revenge, deceit, and whatever else I missed as the plotlines to a few different key players... and still have them all redeem themselves in a positive way, to some degree or another.

Not really sure how dracula and wifey managed to just be free after they died (again!) when brought back to the hermaphrodite body. Either I missed it or the writers just figured, ehhh it's easier to just have them alive and well' kinda deal.

You're right though, Isaac had a kick ass story line. Probably one of my favorite characters in the show outside of the main 2 or 3 players.

Crazy how that show went from experimental - not too risky on the episode count - short short season 1 to one of the best anime's on netflix.
I watched it from the first day it released and I guess so did a lot of other people.

I really enjoy F is for Family and either the show is reached its limit for how many seasons it can carry or it's just not popular... but this is its final season... 3 or 4 or 5 seasons...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
This week I ordered a nikon p900 for wifey, and myself of course, but mostly for her.

I am beyond excited to get this thing... anyone have any experience with it?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
not looked at cameras for a while now. only really used at the tennis. i have a fujifilm

Yeah we got it for several reasons, but I can't wait to see the x83 optical zoom in personal experience.... can zoom all over the place... not to mention check out the moon!

Just shipped... cant wait!!!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
not looked at cameras for a while now. only really used at the tennis. i have a fujifilm

Which one? I got a X-T3 just in time to not be able to use it.

This week I ordered a nikon p900 for wifey, and myself of course, but mostly for her.

I am beyond excited to get this thing... anyone have any experience with it?

No experience with Nikon other than knowing that they're quality cameras and wishing Fuji was half as flexible when it came to lenses. Happy shooting, my friend.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Which one? I got a X-T3 just in time to not be able to use it.

No experience with Nikon other than knowing that they're quality cameras and wishing Fuji was half as flexible when it came to lenses. Happy shooting, my friend.

Thanks man. Should be here on my birthday... middle of the week this week.

I'll be sure to post a pic or few showing what 83x optical zoom means.

Now I'll be curious what the 120 something x optical zoom will be of the p1000 =O

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
S4080, 30x optical zoom. It is years old now, at least 10 as I bought it back home in the UK.

You mentioned optical zoom so I'm just going to quote you but ask out to anyone:

How do you find a zoom on... say, binoculars.

These are hung honkin' binoculars and it says, 20x80 - 168 feet at 1000 yards ( 56M at 1000M for you metricals)

Is there a way to translate that into what the optical zoom is? Or IS that the optical zoom?

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Not going to lie, I don't know much about the zoom. I went for the largest at the time purely for getting decent tennis shots.

I do remember reading though that the more you zoom in the less clear your photo will be when using a DSLR camera and that is something I did notice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh boy I get to dog sit for my sister's blockhead of a dog. He's an awesome dog and he grew up with cats, so I'm not worried about him staying here, but I'm curious to see how my cats react.

The last time I introduced him to them, I only had 2 cats and they were pretty okay with him. One sniffed him and then just casually walked to under my bed until he left, and the other was terrified but eventually got over it. My third one is super social so I actually think she may be the best out of all 3 cats.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Going out to eat in an indoor restaurant for the first time in a year + tonight. Kinda nervous since I have a 3 year old, but my girl wants to and we are in the middle of nowhere in Utah.

We haven't gotten to open restaurants yet, but me and my GF went to a supercrowded farmer's market on the weekend and it felt hardcore. :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh boy I get to dog sit for my sister's blockhead of a dog. He's an awesome dog and he grew up with cats, so I'm not worried about him staying here, but I'm curious to see how my cats react.

The last time I introduced him to them, I only had 2 cats and they were pretty okay with him. One sniffed him and then just casually walked to under my bed until he left, and the other was terrified but eventually got over it. My third one is super social so I actually think she may be the best out of all 3 cats.

Lol I'm taking my sister's dog to a bachelor party this coming weekend :laugh:

My friend is having a small get together as a "bachelor party" for another one of our friends, so I asked my sister if I could take him and her response was "personally the idea of my dog attending a bachelor party is hilarious". So we'll see if my friend lets me bring him there.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lol I'm taking my sister's dog to a bachelor party this coming weekend :laugh:

My friend is having a small get together as a "bachelor party" for another one of our friends, so I asked my sister if I could take him and her response was "personally the idea of my dog attending a bachelor party is hilarious". So we'll see if my friend lets me bring him there.

Curious choice of dates . . . :razz:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Getting a new beagle pup...picking him up Thursday...named Geno, lol...

upload_2021-5-25_19-57-53.jpeg

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Getting a new beagle pup...picking him Thursday...named Geno, lol...

View attachment 439182

He's adorable, good for you! That puppy simultaneously looks old and young at the same time :laugh:

This weekend is going to be a good examination for me for whether I want to adopt a dog. If my cats hate being with a dog, it's an easy answer. If they like him and I can handle the responsibility, then it becomes interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD and Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just checked the shipment and my p900 isn't coming today!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It said May 26 - June 01 sooooooooo I JUuuuuuuuuuuuuuusst asssssssummmed todayyyyyyyyyy

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

DAMNIT and now I'm going to have to wait another entire month for the full moon.... f f f f f F!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I just checked the shipment and my p900 isn't coming today!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
It said May 26 - June 01 sooooooooo I JUuuuuuuuuuuuuuusst asssssssummmed todayyyyyyyyyy

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

DAMNIT and now I'm going to have to wait another entire month for the full moon.... f f f f f F!

And a happy birthday to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad