Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Palat Dealt to Washington

AR-140419177.jpg

Ondrej Palat celebrates after scoring a momentous goal in Amalie Arena

The first deal of the offseason was announced earlier today - Ondrej Palat has a new home, taking his talents a few miles south, from Vancouver to Washington. Also going to Washington is the Plams' 2nd Round Entry Draft Pick, 18th overall in this year's draft.

Moving north from the Stealth to Vancouver are stud prospect William Nylander and hulking defenseman Dustin Byfuglien. Byfuglien's fate hangs in the balance though, as his position as a keeper is in the lurch in Vancouver, according to multiple sources.

We were able to reach the General Manager of the Washington Stealth, LatvianTwist, for an interview after the announcement of the trade:

Q - What is the purpose behind this deal, LT?

A - Well, Ondrej is a guy we've coveted for a while now. We're extremely high on the Triplets and are very happy to now possess two of the three. Adding him, someone who really adds a high impact in every facet of the game, statistically and realistically, is always a great move. The Entry Draft pick is also wonderful to acquire - several guys high on our list have fallen, and we were seriously interested in adding another pick to draft one of them.

Q - And why Nylander? Why was he moved, after such a great showing after his draft year?

A - You're right, William is a tremendous prospect who is going to make a very big impact in this league. He's not someone you move easily, he's one of those guys you hold on to if you can. But Ondrej is as well, and you've got to give to get. Adding Eichel and Rantanen in this draft put us in a position of strength up front prospect-wise and made Nylander possible to move. Ondrej is what we would hope William could progress into, so that one was a no-brainer.

Q - And Byfuglien?

A - Byfuglien was a throw-in for us - he's a great player, but we were going to be unable to retain him with the addition of Palat. He's got more flexibility in Vancouver and it's a better situation there, he's not the #3 RHD there that he was here.

Q - And finally, you said you were very high on the Triplets - does this mean you're looking to acquire Tyler Johnson as well?

A - Well, we like to take one step at a time. You'll have to wait and see if we choose to make anymore moves, but I can tell you that we're not done with deals this offseason. We've got some big plans in the works.

"Ultimately, we feel that this deal falls into our favor. The value may look slanted, but when you factor in the keeper aspect, Byfuglien was gone one way or another, so we're not really losing anything there. This is a deal that we'll look back on in 5 years and think 'Wow, we really thought ahead with that one'."

To recap:

Washington Stealth Receive:
  • Ondrej Palat
  • 2015 18th Overall Pick

Vancouver Plams Receive:
  • William Nylander
  • Dustin Byfuglien

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
When will Canada respect Washington? I've already held my press conference and sold 2500 Nylander jerseys.

Amateurs.

Pshh. We'll sell 25,000 League Champion shirts after we take it home this year.

Before the final game is even done.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Washington Stealth

Keepers
  • Tyler Seguin
  • Sean Monahan
  • Nikita Kucherov
  • Ondrej Palat
  • Radim Vrbata
  • Shea Weber
  • John Klingberg
  • Hampus Lindholm

Prospects
  • Brett Ritchie
  • Valentin Zykov
  • Alex Tuch
  • Damon Severson

Released
  • Patrick Sharp
  • Artem Anisimov
  • Ryan Callahan
  • Brandon Dubinsky
  • Sean Couturier
  • David Perron
  • Chris Kunitz
  • Cody Hodgson
  • Mike Ribeiro
  • Clarke MacArthur
  • Damien Brunner
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Patrik Berglund
  • Justin Williams
  • Tomas Hertl
  • Devin Shore
  • Dmitry Kulikov
  • Slava Voynov
  • Tyler Myers
  • Brian Campbell
  • Travis Hamonic
  • Jamie Oleksiak
  • Shayne Gostisbehere
  • Semyon Varlamov
  • Kristers Gudlevskis

Updated to reflect the trade. I'm leaving the prospect spot left by Nylander empty so as to pick up another prospect in the Normal Draft (4 kept, 3 in the Entry Draft, 3 in the Normal Draft - I'll have the same number as everyone else).

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
D3EccuCm.png

Keepers:

Steven Stamkos
Blake Wheeler
Kyle Okposo
Aleksander Barkov
Filip Forsberg
PK Subban
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Dustin Byfuglien

Prospects (lol)

Ryan Spooner
Vladislav Namestikov
David Pastrnak
Slater Koekkoek
William Nylander

This will likely change a bunch as I'm not happy with the core the last regime left me.

Edited to reflect the trade.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Since we're nearing the end of the Entry Draft, I'll start working on some rules for the normal draft...

Some notes:

You'll all have to draft at least 10 players. There will be 15 rounds.

One team (so far) will be automatically forfeiting their 15th round pick. Every other team can being forfeiting picks in the 11th round if they would so choose (not sure why you'd want to).

You'll end up with 9 forwards, 4 defenders, 1 goaltender, 6 bench spots (5 skaters, 1 goalie), and 10 prospects if you use all of your picks. So 20 roster players, 10 prospects. You should already have 8 roster players (keepers) and 6-8 prospects (keepers + entry draft picks) - the details of the draft order and picks in the later rounds will be unraveled as the draft unfolds. You can have no more than 10 prospects and no more than 20 roster players - if you go over, players will be removed to make your team valid.

The order will be the same as the Entry Draft, but snake instead of normal. So the Monsters have the 12th and 13th picks in the draft.

Any questions? Post them here or PM me.

Can we drop a prospect to select a new one during the draft?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Can we drop a prospect to select a new one during the draft?

Sure. You need to keep at least 3 prospects, though. If you keep three, you'll get two compensation picks at the end of the draft, if you keep four one, five none. If multiple teams do this, it'll be the same order as the draft.

You have to keep 8 roster players, though. Not budging on that one.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Going to release Oliver Bjorkstrand, meaning I have 1 extra prospect spot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Everyone's now received an invite to Fantrax.

donut, Machinehead, papershoes, and VanIslander still need to accept their invitations.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'll be going through prospects today and making sure that they're all under 60 GP.

If you wanna post your kept prospects and their number of GP, that'd save me a lot of time. Not necessary though.

I'll make a list of the kept prospects who are over that mark and post it here. I'll also individually send PMs to each GM who has any prospect over.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll be going through prospects today and making sure that they're all under 60 GP.

If you wanna post your kept prospects and their number of GP, that'd save me a lot of time. Not necessary though.

I'll make a list of the kept prospects who are over that mark and post it here. I'll also individually send PMs to each GM who has any prospect over.

Duclair -- 18 GP
Samuelsson -- 3 GP
Hishon -- 13 GP
Dumba -- 58 GP
Kerdiles -- 0 GP

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The following players were kept as prospects but were not eligible to be so:

• Mathew Dumba (SEA)
  • Curtis Lazar (LEM)
  • Petr Mrazek (NSP)
  • Nathan Beaulieu (ESN)
  • Martin Marincin (ESN)

Each of these GMs will receive a PM notifying them of such.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, since it apparently wasn't made clear...

If you don't keep 5 prospects, that's fine. You'll get a compensation pick for every slot you don't keep. These picks will be at the end of the normal draft, after round 15. You can only select prospects with this pick.

This is basically if your options for prospects are terrible and you believe that someone you could acquire in the draft, even that late, is a better option than what you've got.

PM me and let me know who you want to drop if you want this.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The following players were kept as prospects but were not eligible to be so:

• Mathew Dumba (SEA)
  • Curtis Lazar (LEM)
  • Petr Mrazek (NSP)
  • Nathan Beaulieu (ESN)
  • Martin Marincin (ESN)

Each of these GMs will receive a PM notifying them of such.

These have all been taken care of (I believe ESN just wants the comp. picks but I'm not 100% sure).

Thanks guys. :)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Also, once the entry draft is done, I'll do a small write-up for each team on how I think they did.

If any of you guys ever want to do one of these, just do it and post it. They're fun and generate a lot of great discussion.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'm very happy with how my draft turned out.

Eichel, Rantanen, and Merkley. :)

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Update for DD -- Didn't know Grigorenko exceeded games played limit. Will switch him with Bjorkstrand which means I still have 1 vacant prospect slot to be made up at the end of the draft.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Normal Draft thread is up and running. Still a bit of a work in progress, but its almost done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad