HFBoards Top 31 NHL Centers

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He's a good center and definitely should have been an honorable mention but I don't really see anyone in the top 31 I'm taking out for him. Maybe Horvat.

Oh i agree with RNH not being on this list. That comment is more based on another forward ranking list that has been posted in the past few days. And the writer claiming that RNH is in another tier higher then hertl in more of a tier with couture and duchene.

Reactions: Machinehead

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
What is the logic for that? At least with different types of players (ie. snipers vs. two-way players) you can argue personal preference, but Bergeron and Barkov have a similar type of game.

They do have the same two-way style, but it's primarily about age. You know Bergeron's days are running low as opposed to Barkov coming into his prime.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
How come?

Because he's a beneficiary playing on the best regular season team that inflates just about anyone's points. I'd like to see how many points he generates playing a traditional #1C role going up against other team's top players on just about any other team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he play #2C behind the palat-stamkos-kucherov line allowing him to feast off of weaker defensemen?

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Couturier too high by about 5-6 spots.

Coots should be much lower than 14!

A Selke finalist with back-to-back 30+ goal 76 point seasons? Who do you have over him? No one below him scores significantly more and he's better defensively than all of them besides Kopitar.

What do you guys think about Mark Stone being ranked #6 in wingers despite only breaking 70 points once?

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
A Selke finalist with back-to-back 30+ goal 76 point seasons? Who do you have over him? No one below him scores significantly more and he's better defensively than all of them besides Kopitar.

What do you guys think about Mark Stone being ranked #6 in wingers despite only breaking 70 points once?
Mark Stone should fire his agent because Vegas took his money.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
There is a lot of good players in this list.

Some of the voting seems like trajectory as opposed to how they might fair against veterans/players whose
team has tanked a little.

How else do you explain why Getzlaf & Kopitar are so low, or Sebastian Aho ranked above so many good centers?

Reactions: b in vancouver

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Matthews 7th and Stamkos before Point are ones that stand out as really bad.

At least I can understand the logic behind Barkov before Bergeron.

Alright, I know better but I'll bite, who goes ahead of Matthews? And given that he "really stands out" at 7 I expect you to answer with multiple players who are clearly better. I get why people get mad when Canadian media outlets put Matthews at 4 but 7 is far from egregious. I can see an argument for Point? I'd disagree with it but I can see it, otherwise I'm honestly not sure.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Because he's a beneficiary playing on the best regular season team that inflates just about anyone's points. I'd like to see how many points he generates playing a traditional #1C role going up against other team's top players on just about any other team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he play #2C behind the palat-stamkos-kucherov line allowing him to feast off of weaker defensemen?
You’re wrong. He plays 1C with Kucherov

Stamkos is our 2C and I don’t think any lightning fans here think he should promoted back up

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
You’re wrong. He plays 1C with Kucherov

Stamkos is our 2C and I don’t think any lightning fans here think he should promoted back up
i'm not a lightning fan but i watch a lot of their games because they are just usually such a pleasure to see. anyways, i agree. point has been steadily better than stammer and it is a shame to see him so low. if you swap him with matthews i think this list makes a lot more sense. hard to justify that #7 spot when he's barely above ppg pace on an offensive juggernaut like toronto (even with his goal scoring). maybe one day he'll get there, it's just not today

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
i'm not a lightning fan but i watch a lot of their games because they are just usually such a pleasure to see. anyways, i agree. point has been steadily better than stammer and it is a shame to see him so low. if you swap him with matthews i think this list makes a lot more sense. hard to justify that #7 spot when he's barely above ppg pace on an offensive juggernaut like toronto (even with his goal scoring). maybe one day he'll get there, it's just not today

Point had a season of 66 than 92 points. The problem with him is lack of track record. Is he a 66 or a 92 point guy?

Not sure i buy into him being a 92 point guy yet. If he repeats he'll move up significantly.

Not that different from MacKinnon a year ago. No one had him #3 a year ago bc of lack of track record - but then he repeated his season and hes top 3 for all and some have him even higher.

Matthews - unlike Point - has the whole #1 OA hype/potential thing going for him and he's always been expected to be this good so its a bit easier to give him a bit of a pass for injuries that hurt his season.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Backstrom and Bergeron should be lower. Horvat should be on the HM list. Getzlaf should be off the list this aint 2015.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
What is the logic for that? At least with different types of players (ie. snipers vs. two-way players) you can argue personal preference, but Bergeron and Barkov have a similar type of game.
Barkov scored 96 points without top-10 wingers in his line. After last season, you can argue Barkov over Bergeron.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It sure is weird seeing guys like Crosby, Backstrom, and Kopitar north of 30.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
Few things that jumped out to me:

1) Auston Matthews ahead of Stamkos and Point. Man, for all the flack people get for being "Leaf Haters:, that' s some lofty praise.

2) I think people are sleeping on Monahan

3) I also think people are sleeping on Tyler Seguin

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Bergeron should definitely be ahead of Barkov, I’d place Malkin ahead of him as well. Not sure when or how Barkov went from being underrated to overrated.

Reactions: b in vancouver

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa

Kopitar? He's currently not close defensively to Coots

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad