HFBoards Top 31 NHL Centers

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You keep saying Eichel has never had a 70 point player to play with. That's true of many teams, and many other players. In fact - Eichel himself has only been a 70 point player once in his career before this year, so it's a weird benchmark to be referencing.

And obviously I know you weren't talking about 56 points exactly - but you keep touting 24 goals and 32 assists as if they're some huge milestones. They're really not. Not for a top 10C in the league.

As to the ranking of players above Eichel:

McDavid - self explanatory. Above Eichel.
Crosby - self explanatory. Above Eichel. (but in case it's not, 100 points, track record, playoff record - he's definitely the better center going into this season then Eichel)
Mack. Should also be self explanatory, but just in case, seasons of 97 and 99 points (hart finalist, and top 6 finish). Better than Eichel going into this season, whose never sniffed such an award nomination, nor ever exceeded 82 points, let alone approach 100.
Barkov. Coming off a 96 point season, and back to back top 5 selke finish. Makes sense to have him above Eichel going into this season too
Bergeron. Seen as the best 2 way/defensive center in the game, for years. Offensive level very comparable to Eichel past 3 years, certainly for pace at least. Easy to see him above Eichel going into season
Malkin. Track record. A bit of a slower season last year, but hit 98 the year prior. Clearly, with his resurgence this season, having him above Eichel made sense too.
Matthews. Matthews has been as good or better than Eichel head to head in pretty much every season. This is the first season where it's really up for debate (and even then, this year with his goal-scoring it might still be Matthews). But going into this season, it made sense to slot Matthews ahead.
Scheifele. To be honest, i'm not as high on him as most, and never have been. I probably would have slotted him a few spots lower. Production-wise the past 2-3 years, very comparable to Eichel. Not exactly egregious to have him above Eichel, but again not a player i'm exactly super high on myself.
Tavares. Track record, coming off back to back 84/88 point seasons (last one with 47 goals). He's simply had better seasons 2 years in a row (well, more then that) and makes sense to slot him higher.
Stamkos. Same as Tavares, track record + production. He's coming off 86/98 point seasons. He does get to play on a good team, but you can't ignore the production.

There you go. There's maybe one player in the 10 ranked above Eichel where it might make sense to bump Eichel up a spot, but that's it.

His placement going into this season was fine. Quit being such a narrow-minded homer in every post. Eichel is having a fine season - i'm sure he'll rank higher going into next season.
Last season Eichel was playing with Jeff Skinner when he scored 40 goals. So he can't say how Eichel hasn't played with anyone good.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
You could just admit you're mad that he's ranked ahead of your player instead of spouting off nonsense that proves that to be the case anyway.
Anyone who doesn't realize Point has been our 1C for two seasons now is just willfully ignorant. Stamkos makes for a great 2C/LW, but Point is clearly better now

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You guys need to watch Mika Zib a little more often. Hes hilariously low on this.

This list was made in the off season. Going into this season, Zibanejad had only one season of scoring over 51 points. He's having a good season this year, but his placement going into the year was fine. If anything - it was a bit too high.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Last season Eichel was playing with Jeff Skinner when he scored 40 goals. So he can't say how Eichel hasn't played with anyone good.

I didn’t say that. I said he hasn’t played with a superstar. Skinner is a star. Not a superstar or elite. Anders lee scored 40 goals once too with Tavares. Skinnner scores 40 goals too with Eichels. Never had before even though he was always a good sniper albeit inconsistent before.

this year now that he’s paid and not with eichel, he’s been pretty bad to say the least. So I’m not sure what this had to do with anything. There’s a huge difference between a 90 point set up man playing with you when your a sniper like marner and Matthews and a career high 60ish pt guy in skinner who has an off year every second season.

Anyone who doesn't realize Point has been our 1C for two seasons now is just willfully ignorant. Stamkos makes for a great 2C/LW, but Point is clearly better now

You’d be expecting too much from people. They’d actually have to watch your team to know that. Can’t you tell from most posts that people just stat check ? Lol

PS I love points two way game. He obviously gets to play around a lot of great players, stacked powerplay unit but he holds his own and is going to be an elite player for a long time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn’t say that. I said he hasn’t played with a superstar. Skinner is a star. Not a superstar or elite. Anders lee scored 40 goals once too with Tavares. Skinnner scores 40 goals too with Eichels. Never had before even though he was always a good sniper albeit inconsistent before.

this year now that he’s paid and not with eichel, he’s been pretty bad to say the least. So I’m not sure what this had to do with anything. There’s a huge difference between a 90 point set up man playing with you when your a sniper like marner and Matthews and a career high 60ish pt guy in skinner who has an off year every second season.
You forgot that it was only this past December when Sheldon Keefe out Matthews and Marner on the same line together at 5v5.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
You forgot that it was only this past December when Sheldon Keefe out Matthews and Marner on the same line together at 5v5.

Didn’t forget that.

That’s still half the season to this point, I’m not suggesting he has to be carried by teammates, that would be ridiculous merely pointing out just like people do Eichels increases ice time that Matthews has increased ztsr power at least to a higher degree then eichel anyway and both influence.

It happens my man, there are a lot of players to keep track of. You do make a solid point. It is funny that we never hear it about Jack and yet we always hear Matthews is injury prone.

I guess the good news is @TheJackAttack can never use this one in his endless crusade to convince HF of Eichel's superiority. He'll have to stick with saying Eichel is better but because Buffalo is **** Matthews has better production.

You do realiZe, I’m not on a crusade but due to the large volume of leaf fans, mixed with how few people watch eichel, I was just stating the ovcious. Ps- getting involved in two freak accidents spraining your ankle doesent make you INJURY prone. There’s a difference.

And I don’t even call Mathews injury prone, never have in my entire life.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Brayden Point is better than ROR?
I never said anything about that. I don't care where people on HF boards rank players lol. You've very obviously got an issue with him being ranked ahead of ROR (and yeah, I'm pretty sure it's cause one of those two is a player on the team you cheer for), but also turn around and prove you don't actually know Point's role on his team. So I just don't put much weight into your issue with this ranking because you haven't done much work to actually know about the other guy you're trying to discredit.

So enjoy doing all that my man.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
You guys need to watch Mika Zib a little more often. Hes hilariously low on this.

How is Toews that high? It’s not 2010 anymore. He’s been pretty average a while now.
Above Barzal Couture and Larkin?

Only 1 behind EP?
Brutal

Is nobody reading when the list was made? their seasons last year looked different from this year.

Also one year shouldn't make or break a player.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Zibanejad is 17th in points for centers, missed 11 games and is 7th in points per game for centers. Had 30g and 77pts last year. Our top PKer, playing 20+ minutes a night, 50% on draws, 60+ blocks a year. 7th in points per game, does not play with Panarin, barely top 30 at HF.

He is severely underrated. As an Islanders fan, I was cringing when Ottawa traded him to the Rangers for peanuts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Instead of the usual criticism of the ranking post, I'm curious to hear who everyone thinks is the biggest riser/faller is from the list?

-Pettersson or Zibanejad would probably be my biggest riser(s)
-Tavares would probably be my biggest faller

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Wouldn't be surprised to see Zibanejad in the top 10-15 on this list next time around. Since the start of 18-19, he's averaged a point per game while being an elite defensive player and penalty killer. The Rangers' version of Bergeron pretty much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad