HFBoards Top 31 NHL Centers

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
There is a lot of good players in this list.

Some of the voting seems like trajectory as opposed to how they might fair against veterans/players whose
team has tanked a little.

How else do you explain why Getzlaf & Kopitar are so low, or Sebastian Aho ranked above so many good centers?

I don't get how you explain Getzlaf being on the list at all.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Told people then Eichel not on the top ten was a joke, points in 33 of his last 38, you can make a case with the lack of support hes had he’s been a top 2-3 center this year. (Calm down, I just said a case could be made considering only MacKinnon has performed better with less as Rantanen and landeskog were out earlier in the year but even then I like the rest of his team better then the rest of the sabres.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You really gonna bump this 5 month old thread just so we can have another thread praising draisaitl?

also, drai was ranked #5 as a winger since that was what he played as last year

HFBoards Top 31 NHL Wingers

I still say 5 was the perfect ranking for him for winger going into this season. He hadn't done enough to surpass any of those top 4.

If we had to redo the rankings today, I guess we'd switch Drai up to center, and he'd pierce the top 4. McDavid still at #1 - than Drai, Mack and Crosby in some order for 2-4. I'd have Eichel, Matthews and Malkin in some order for 5-7.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Told people then Eichel not on the top ten was a joke, points in 33 of his last 38, you can make a case with the lack of support hes had he’s been a top 2-3 center this year. (Calm down, I just said a case could be made considering only MacKinnon has performed better with less as Rantanen and landeskog were out earlier in the year but even then I like the rest of his team better then the rest of the sabres.

Eichel would be one of the biggest risers - but he wouldn't be 2-3. There's no case to be made for Eichel above any of Drai, Mack or McDavid. I also think there's no case to be made for Eichel above Crosby - but I guess if you focus only on this season performance and nothing else, you could make such a case.

I think the highest Eichel can reach is 5th. More conservatively, he's in that 5-7 range with Malkin and Matthews, in some order.

Also, you "telling people Eichel not being top 10 is a joke" is fine - but based on what he had done to date after last season, I think it was fine. He only scored 82 points last year on a team that didn't do much. Lots of other centers had better seasons last year, along with better track records prior. This ranking was about top centers going into the season, not a prediction of where they'd be by year end. Not surprising to see some young stars like Eichel, Drai and others having breakout years at their age and rising up rankings.

Oil4life99

Oct 5, 2017
I still say 5 was the perfect ranking for him for winger going into this season. He hadn't done enough to surpass any of those top 4.

If we had to redo the rankings today, I guess we'd switch Drai up to center, and he'd pierce the top 4. McDavid still at #1 - than Drai, Mack and Crosby in some order for 2-4. I'd have Eichel, Matthews and Malkin in some order for 5-7.
Agreed, prior to this year I was hoping for a constant beast in Drai but am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Life as an Oiler fan.

Now I know he is the real deal. And jeepers that Kinnon is ridiculously good. Such raw talent and tenacity.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Let me guess. Any list that doesn't have the Caps' players higher is a joke?

Id actually move Kuzy down. He was one of the worst defensive forwards in the league last season. He’s improved this season but he’s still the worst forward on the team in terms of ice tilt. And he’s even losing PP1 time to Vrana now.

Backstrom is about right. Could argue to move him up but there’s arguments for everybody on the list to move up/down 5 spots.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't get how you explain Getzlaf being on the list at all.

Because his drop of started at 2:46am when you posted this. Not when the original ranking came out.

Then of course there's things like players having bad seasons (point production), and then there is of course entire careers of being a good player.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares shouldn't be top 20 anymore, Matthews top 5.

I don't know about that, but I've been saying he's not a Top 10 center. When you combine the "old guys" who are still better than him with all the young stars who have surpassed him, he's not in the top ten of centers at this point.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Pretty much this.

Anyone having Eichel not in their top 5 is questionable, having him ranked 11th is just flat out weak.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I don't know about that, but I've been saying he's not a Top 10 center. When you combine the "old guys" who are still better than him with all the young stars who have surpassed him, he's not in the top ten of centers at this point.
In no order
McDavid
Crosby
MacKinnon
Malkin
Draisatl
Matthews
Eichel
Pettersson
Barkov
Bergeron
Schiefele
Stamkos
O'Rielly
Aho
Couturier

Off the top of my head.... alright maybe got a little too crazy there, definitely somewhere in 15-20 though.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Eichel would be one of the biggest risers - but he wouldn't be 2-3. There's no case to be made for Eichel above any of Drai, Mack or McDavid. I also think there's no case to be made for Eichel above Crosby - but I guess if you focus only on this season performance and nothing else, you could make such a case.

I think the highest Eichel can reach is 5th. More conservatively, he's in that 5-7 range with Malkin and Matthews, in some order.

Also, you "telling people Eichel not being top 10 is a joke" is fine - but based on what he had done to date after last season, I think it was fine. He only scored 82 points last year on a team that didn't do much. Lots of other centers had better seasons last year, along with better track records prior. This ranking was about top centers going into the season, not a prediction of where they'd be by year end. Not surprising to see some young stars like Eichel, Drai and others having breakout years at their age and rising up rankings.

No it was always a joke to have him at eleventh if MacKinnon was going to be in the top few considering half of MacKinnon a seasons are worse then Eichels worst season. Eichels had a higher career points per game on a worse team and even this year has just four less points, you say he’s only hit 82 points once, sure. He was also on pace for 80 points or more in four of his five seasons he’s played, and has scored at least 24 goals and at least had 32 assists in every season he’s played, all five and that’s on a team that has had no 70 or scorers in his entire duration there.

Do you realize how insane that is? Clearly not. You just didn’t watch the player and wanted to believe he wasn’t as good as I ws saying he was, (as I remember your username quite well) even before this year Eichels production for where he was and what he had done was better then MacKinnons to that point in his career so to say that he has no business comparing to him is ridiculous, again he’s been just as good as MacKinnon this season too, especially when comparing teams. (And in his second year at 19 finished tenth in points per game, he’s missed half a season twice and when he missed two months that year he still out scored Nathan who was older and rich just played a full season) people need to get off this high horse about Nate if there going to devalue eichel, when Eichels produced just as good considering the circumstances.

also another thing that made eichel top ten before this year was his amazing underlying offensive zone possession, offensive zone entries and transition rush numbers, all first in the NHL at last look a month ago. (Well total offensive zone was third, other two was first) but two years ago he was top three in all too. I didn’t see a sabres tweet about it last year so I didn’t bother looking but if I had to guess based on two years ago and this year he would also be high then too.)

I mean I’m fine with Mack being put ahead and all of eichel but to say there’s no conversation for a debate is dodgy, obviously those hasn’t payed attention to both players or watched either for their entire careers.

Matthews and Eichelboth have better career points per game then MacKinnon and Barkov

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No it was always a joke to have him at eleventh if MacKinnon was going to be in the top few considering half of MacKinnon a seasons are worse then Eichels worst season. Eichels had a higher career points per game on a worse team and even this year has just four less points, you say he’s only hit 82 points once, sure. He was also on pace for 80 points or more in four of his five seasons he’s played, and has scored at least 24 goals and at least had 32 assists in every season he’s played, all five and that’s on a team that has had no 70 or scorers in his entire duration there.

Do you realize how insane that is? Clearly not. You just didn’t watch the player and wanted to believe he wasn’t as good as I ws saying he was, (as I remember your username quite well) even before this year Eichels production for where he was and what he had done was better then MacKinnons to that point in his career so to say that he has no business comparing to him is ridiculous, again he’s been just as good as MacKinnon this season too, especially when comparing teams. (And in his second year at 19 finished tenth in points per game, he’s missed half a season twice and when he missed two months that year he still out scored Nathan who was older and played a full season) people need to get off this high horse about Nate when Eichels produced just as good considering the circumstances.

also another thing that made eichel top ten before this year was his amazing underlying offensive zone oosesstion, offensive zone entries and transition rush numbers, all first in the NHL at last look a month ago. (Well total offensive zone was third) but two years ago he was top three in all too. I’m fine with Mack being out ahead of eichel but to say there’s no conversation for a debate obviously hasn’t payed attention to both players or watched either for their entire careers.

Lol i like how you remember my username. I literally dont remember ever talking down on Eichel as im pretty high on him. Would love for you to point out anything i said about him that was egregious.

Mack had a slow start to his career. Eichel had an ok start. Matthews had a great start. Im not sure how relevent each players career start is 4-7 years into their careers, nor how relevent are career averages vs past couple of seasons at this point.

Mack broke out 3 years ago now. This is his 3rd year playing at this level.

Eichel had somewhat of a breakout season last year (not as good as Macks 3 years ago) - but is really only breaking out more with a great season this year. He'll rank higher going into next season.

This season - you could probably have argued him above a couple of players, but not much more.

Also - why are you touting "at least 24 goals and at least 32 assists " as if they're some ungodly total. You know that only adds up to 56 points right?

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Lol i like how you remember my username. I literally dont remember ever talking down on Eichel as im pretty high on him. Would love for you to point out anything i said about him that was egregious.

Mack had a slow start to his career. Eichel had an ok start. Matthews had a great start. Im not sure how relevent each players career start is 4-7 years into their careers, nor how relevent are career averages vs past couple of seasons at this point.

Mack broke out 3 years ago now. This is his 3rd year playing at this level.

Eichel had somewhat of a breakout season last year (not as good as Macks 3 years ago) - but is really only breaking out more with a great season this year. He'll rank higher going into next season.

This season - you could probably have argued him above a couple of players, but not much more.

Also - why are you touting "at least 24 goals and at least 32 assists " as if they're some ungodly total. You know that only adds up to 56 points right?

There’s so much nonsense in this post, I don’t know where to begin.

When I was saying he put up “at least 24 goals and at least 32 assists in every season” the point there wasn’t as if those were milestones or even to add the two together and go wow that’s 56 points! isn’t to add those two numbers together and go WOW 56! (Even though that’s what a 18 yr old eichel got in his first and worst season and wasn’t even nominated for the Calder and that’s better then half of mackinnons career!) the actual point was to say that he reached each of those numbers in every season so there was never a number less on either side in any year even with significant time missed, hardest match ups, lingering effects from returning from devestating injury every other season and having no elite offensive talent beside Him.

So it can be 24 and 54 assists, for example, which he actually did hit 28 goals and 54 assists last year in just 77 games last year despite missing two weeks, it’s weird how you say he didn’t break our last year.

So that means If eichel didn’t break out with 82 points in 77 on Buffalo then I guess Matthews in Toronto Witt career high of 72 has never broken out yet?

[mod] saying he “sort of broke out” when getting 54 assists in 77 games last year (with his 28 goals) when he’s never had a 70 point player to play with EVER shows you just don’t want to give credit where it’s due.

He’s literally the highest scoring center in the east right now. He’s the most consistent player in the game today (at least since November) with points in 33 of his last 38. Maybe someone like Draisaitl has that or better possibly, but he not only has had a 70 or player he’s had a 100 or player. Five eichel just a 70-80 Pt winger then his 70 points he currently has could very well be 80.

this is what people who don’t watch the player and just look at total points don’t understand.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Zibanejad is 17th in points for centers, missed 11 games and is 7th in points per game for centers. Had 30g and 77pts last year. Our top PKer, playing 20+ minutes a night, 50% on draws, 60+ blocks a year. 7th in points per game, does not play with Panarin, barely top 30 at HF.

Reactions: Rullailija

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There’s so much nonsense in this post, I don’t know where to begin. When saying 24 goals and at least 32 assists the point isn’t to add those two numbers together and go WOW 56! (Eichels worst season when he was 18 which is still better then half of mackinnons career by the way) the point was to say that even with significant time missed, hardest match ups, lingering effects from returning from devestating injury every other season and having no elite offensive talent beat him, that in every deal. He’s still managed at least both those numbers.

So it can be 24 and 54 assists, (he actually hit 28 goals and 54 assists in just 77 games last year and funny how you say it was ale
What if a break out. Its just to show he’s never had fewer then either of those totals, it wasn’t to add them together or to think of them as a milestone number.

[mod] saying he “sort of broke out” when getting 54 assists in 77 games last year (with his 28 goals) when he’s never had a 70 point player to play with EVER shows you just don’t want to give credit where it’s due.

He’s literally the highest scoring center in the east right now. He’s the most consistent player in the game today (at least since November) with points in 33 of his last 38. Maybe someone like Draisaitl has that or better possibly, but he not only has had a 70 or player he’s had a 100 or player. Five eichel just a 70-80 Pt winger then his 70 points he currently has could very well be 80.

this is what people who don’t watch the player and just look at total points don’t understand.

You keep saying Eichel has never had a 70 point player to play with. That's true of many teams, and many other players. In fact - Eichel himself has only been a 70 point player once in his career before this year, so it's a weird benchmark to be referencing.

And obviously I know you weren't talking about 56 points exactly - but you keep touting 24 goals and 32 assists as if they're some huge milestones. They're really not. Not for a top 10C in the league.

As to the ranking of players above Eichel:

McDavid - self explanatory. Above Eichel.
Crosby - self explanatory. Above Eichel. (but in case it's not, 100 points, track record, playoff record - he's definitely the better center going into this season then Eichel)
Mack. Should also be self explanatory, but just in case, seasons of 97 and 99 points (hart finalist, and top 6 finish). Better than Eichel going into this season, whose never sniffed such an award nomination, nor ever exceeded 82 points, let alone approach 100.
Barkov. Coming off a 96 point season, and back to back top 5 selke finish. Makes sense to have him above Eichel going into this season too
Bergeron. Seen as the best 2 way/defensive center in the game, for years. Offensive level very comparable to Eichel past 3 years, certainly for pace at least. Easy to see him above Eichel going into season
Malkin. Track record. A bit of a slower season last year, but hit 98 the year prior. Clearly, with his resurgence this season, having him above Eichel made sense too.
Matthews. Matthews has been as good or better than Eichel head to head in pretty much every season. This is the first season where it's really up for debate (and even then, this year with his goal-scoring it might still be Matthews). But going into this season, it made sense to slot Matthews ahead.
Scheifele. To be honest, i'm not as high on him as most, and never have been. I probably would have slotted him a few spots lower. Production-wise the past 2-3 years, very comparable to Eichel. Not exactly egregious to have him above Eichel, but again not a player i'm exactly super high on myself.
Tavares. Track record, coming off back to back 84/88 point seasons (last one with 47 goals). He's simply had better seasons 2 years in a row (well, more then that) and makes sense to slot him higher.
Stamkos. Same as Tavares, track record + production. He's coming off 86/98 point seasons. He does get to play on a good team, but you can't ignore the production.

There you go. There's maybe one player in the 10 ranked above Eichel where it might make sense to bump Eichel up a spot, but that's it.

His placement going into this season was fine. Quit being such a narrow-minded homer in every post. Eichel is having a fine season - i'm sure he'll rank higher going into next season.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Because he's a beneficiary playing on the best regular season team that inflates just about anyone's points. I'd like to see how many points he generates playing a traditional #1C role going up against other team's top players on just about any other team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he play #2C behind the palat-stamkos-kucherov line allowing him to feast off of weaker defensemen?
You could just admit you're mad that he's ranked ahead of your player instead of spouting off nonsense that proves that to be the case anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->