GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/23/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Hathaway has had a few questionable plays this year, but opposing fans would be extremely hard-pressed to find anything dirty in his play this year. But a reputation takes a while to change.

I'm assuming you're referring to this questionable play from three weeks ago?

I think he's playing his role with the Flames well. He's a hardnosed player, I would have preferred the refs to have given him a charging penalty on his hit on Motte where he came from a long distance to hit him or on his stickwork on Horvat after his hit on Gaudreau. But he's a solid depth player and he'll thrive when referees put away their whistles.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You don't know why I'd discuss a play from the game today in the game day thread? :huh:

Kelly Hrudey can't "admit" things about Mike Smith, all he can do is speculate. He doesn't have any insight into that. But seriously, all you have to do is watch the replays. That same play had happened twice before in the game. Mike Smith played the puck and shielded off a Canucks player who could do nothing about it. On those plays, Smith accepted and absorbed the minimal contact that he fully initiated by playing the puck, and didn't go down. The Edler play was different because he throws his hip through him and makes sure he knocks him over. Like I said, it's likely frustration at the prior two plays.

Find other examples, though. The fall you see from Smith there is a carbon copy of literally every similar collision. There is no other outcome. If you run a goalie, he's not staying on his feet, and his helmet likely isn't staying on his head.
Goalies should not be allowed to play and protect the puck like that if you arent allowed minimal contact, which edlers was, Smith should be getting a fine for that dive.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I'd love the Canucks to make the playoffs sooner than later. However, I didn't think that with the amount of teams they needed to overtake and the point gap they needed to close that they had a good chance of doing so. Usually I like it when more Canadian teams make the playoffs as I want to see a Canadian team win the cup (Jets have the best chance in my mind).

It's hard to cheer for the Flames when their goalie embellishes like Smith has done throughout his career.

But I am sure you are OK with Markstrom chopping Tkachuk at the end?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Smith is half goalie, half actor. He should receive some kind of job after his goaltending career is over because of how much he flops.

Markstrom is a piece of **** for slashing Tkachuk like that.

Aug 3, 2010

Ah yes, flopping goalies. Nobody's saying Smith's a saint, but it takes one to know one.

Reactions: No Draft

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Goalies should not be allowed to play and protect the puck like that if you arent allowed minimal contact, which edlers was, Smith should be getting a fine for that dive.

There's just no credibility in that claim. Every time a goalie gets run, there's an army of people crying "dive" because of how goalies are un-equipped. Goalies who play the puck often get accused more often because they get hit more often.

If you have issues with the goalie-protection rules, that's a different discussion. Right now, Smith is aware of what the rules are and plays to those rules. Any player who wants to take a run like that is just going to cost his team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

So you're saying Smith should just do what Bishop did to Landeskog not too long ago?

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
You don't know why I'd discuss a play from the game today in the game day thread? :huh:

Kelly Hrudey can't "admit" things about Mike Smith, all he can do is speculate. He doesn't have any insight into that. But seriously, all you have to do is watch the replays. That same play had happened twice before in the game. Mike Smith played the puck and shielded off a Canucks player who could do nothing about it. On those plays, Smith accepted and absorbed the minimal contact that he fully initiated by playing the puck, and didn't go down. The Edler play was different because he throws his hip through him and makes sure he knocks him over. Like I said, it's likely frustration at the prior two plays.

Find other examples, though. The fall you see from Smith there is a carbon copy of literally every similar collision. There is no other outcome. If you run a goalie, he's not staying on his feet, and his helmet likely isn't staying on his head.

In this instance he actually can admit it.

I don’t see Edler throwing his hip through Smith. There is contact for sure, but it’s minimal. Smith does throw his arms in the air and kicks his legs out though.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Ah yes, flopping goalies. Nobody's saying Smith's a saint, but it takes one to know one.

I get that you probably feel like you "stuck it to" everyone accusing Smith of diving, but comparing his behavior to that of a teenager is not exactly flattering to him.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
There's just no credibility in that claim. Every time a goalie gets run, there's an army of people crying "dive" because of how goalies are un-equipped. Goalies who play the puck often get accused more often because they get hit more often.

If you have issues with the goalie-protection rules, that's a different discussion. Right now, Smith is aware of what the rules are and plays to those rules. Any player who wants to take a run like that is just going to cost his team.

I think that you can't hit goalies as hard as you want to. But if a goalie blocked an opponent from the puck as he tries to skate by, the goalies need to be called for interference. I seemingly remember Belfour getting a penalty for hitting someone behind the net, but goalies have gotten too much protection.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In this instance he actually can admit it.

No, he literally can't by definition. In order to admit something, he would have to know it. He can't know it because he's not Mike Smith. The only thing he can "admit" is his own feelings on the subject, which are not informed any more than your own. There's no authority to appeal to here.

I don’t see Edler throwing his hip through Smith. There is contact for sure, but it’s minimal. Smith does throw his arms in the air and kicks his legs out though.

No, minimal contact was what took place on the prior instances. Edler intentionally hits Smith on this play. He makes sure he knocks him over. What you're describing is a natural human reaction to being hit from behind and falling over.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No, he literally can't by definition. In order to admit something, he would have to know it. He can't know it because he's not Mike Smith. The only thing he can "admit" is his own feelings on the subject, which are not informed any more than your own. There's no authority to appeal to here.

No, minimal contact was what took place on the prior instances. Edler intentionally hits Smith on this play. He makes sure he knocks him over. What you're describing is a natural human reaction to being hit from behind and falling over.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
You thought that jump flop was natural

Reactions: Bizzare and 53or8

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

You actually can’t claim this, you did not feel how much contact there was between Edler and Smith. You also can not know what Edler’s intent was on the play.

By your own logic.

Aug 3, 2010
I get that you probably feel like you "stuck it to" everyone accusing Smith of diving, but comparing his behavior to that of a teenager is not exactly flattering to him.
My bad, you're right. These adults playing a children's game should never act immaturely, and the fans should have all gone to etiquette schools before being allowed to witness a game. These instances on example here were entirely isolated aberrations and we should all feel shame.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

This is a natural human reaction by Smith being hit by Kane (about 6:35 if it doesn't skip to where it needs to be). Notice how he doesn't jump up after contact? Smith embellished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad