GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/23/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mike Smith plays on the contact and dives like normal. It’s a minor penalty, nothing more. Mike Smith’s dive was embarrassing though.
You're just trying to make yourself feel better, honestly. Edler knew what he was doing. He (and by the looks of it Travis Green) takes issue with the fact that Mike Smith can shield the puck and can't be hit, so with 1:36 left, he gives him a shot. It's beating a dead horse, but goalies aren't able to brace for impact like players can. There isn't really a concept of a dive on a player where he wouldn't be able to stay on his feet anyway. To a certain extent, I can understand Edler's frustration with Smith's puck-handling. But I think it's cowardly to wait until there's nothing on the line, there's no time left to fight after you get out of the box and you don't face the team again.

Markstrom's slash was just childish, though. No reason to go after Tkachuk just because he prevented you from covering a puck.

Reactions: cheechoo

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
You do realize the Flames have 101 points and the Nucks have 74 right. Congrats to the Nucks for beating the Flames 3 times, we'll be in the playoffs while you draft 7th.

Congrats on the Flames being in the playoffs, do you think they'll win the cup? Because I think all you'll get is a couple more weeks of hockey and draft 24th.

Reactions: nucks88

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Close game. Flames hung on for life the last half. Good game by the Canucks. Jhonny and SMith need to cut those diving antics out. Might not fly int he playoffs.
The Flames play the Kings next so I guess you'll be cheering for the Kings next game and providing your insightful unbiased Neutral Fan analysis on whats wrong with the Flames in that game too. By the way, how did your Oilers do tonight against the worst team in the league? I haven't had time to check out the out of town scoreboard.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Actually the Canucks have been playing pretty well lately. Prior to tonight's game they won 5 of their last six and Markstrom has been awesome all season (he had a .921 Sv% in the last 12 games). Canucks always play big against the Flames. Lots of rivalry there.
Yeah, it bugs me whenever I watch the Canucks playing non-Flames teams and they usually look so much worse. :laugh:

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
Yeah, it bugs me whenever I watch the Canucks playing non-Flames teams and they usually look so much worse. :laugh:

they are much worse. tonight was realistically the best they could play with their current roster. 3 regulation wins in 23 games

E40

Nov 18, 2018
Wow this thread has gone downhill fast lol

Anyhow, was hoping to see the boys make it in but it's for the best to get the better pick, recover and look ahead another season to build off. And the thought of Canucks "gooning"? lol I wish they had it in them that's a pretty funny concept

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Canucks = the sorest of losers.

brb we're a trash team so let's hit their goalie and slash their star players with a minute to go.
You dont think Hathaway or Tkachuk do the same thing when you're losing? Every team does that, you're delusional if you think they dont.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Well only 12 year olds watch one NHL team. Go to Instagram and be like all the other kids.

Says the person with the username that refers to only one team.

Where did you get the idea that I only watched one NHL team? I'm in an area where most Canuck games are blacked out so I watch more Oilers, Flames and Jets.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Congrats on the Flames being in the playoffs, do you think they'll win the cup? Because I think all you'll get is a couple more weeks of hockey and draft 24th.

hahaha...yet the Nucks would give anything to be in such position.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
You're just trying to make yourself feel better, honestly. Edler knew what he was doing. He (and by the looks of it Travis Green) takes issue with the fact that Mike Smith can shield the puck and can't be hit, so with 1:36 left, he gives him a shot. It's beating a dead horse, but goalies aren't able to brace for impact like players can. There isn't really a concept of a dive on a player where he wouldn't be able to stay on his feet anyway. To a certain extent, I can understand Edler's frustration with Smith's puck-handling. But I think it's cowardly to wait until there's nothing on the line, there's no time left to fight after you get out of the box and you don't face the team again.

Markstrom's slash was just childish, though. No reason to go after Tkachuk just because he prevented you from covering a puck.

Mike Smith diving doesn’t make me feel better. Even flame and goalie homer Kelly Hrudey admitted it. If you don’t think Smith could have stayed on his feet that’s your opinion. Even if you can’t stay on your feet you’re still capable of diving/embellishing.

Not sure why you’re bringing up Markstrom in a conversation unless you’re trying to make yourself feel better.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You dont think Hathaway or Tkachuk do the same thing when you're losing? Every team does that, you're delusional if you think they dont.

They don't and the Flames are losing most games.

But feel free to post any example of Hath or Chucky doing something dirty with 1:30 to go in a game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mike Smith diving doesn’t make me feel better. Even flame and goalie homer Kelly Hrudey admitted it. If you don’t think Smith could have stayed on his feet that’s your opinion. Even if you can’t stay on your feet you’re still capable of diving/embellishing.

Not sure why you’re bringing up Markstrom in a conversation unless you’re trying to make yourself feel better.
You don't know why I'd discuss a play from the game today in the game day thread? :huh:

Kelly Hrudey can't "admit" things about Mike Smith, all he can do is speculate. He doesn't have any insight into that. But seriously, all you have to do is watch the replays. That same play had happened twice before in the game. Mike Smith played the puck and shielded off a Canucks player who could do nothing about it. On those plays, Smith accepted and absorbed the minimal contact that he fully initiated by playing the puck, and didn't go down. The Edler play was different because he throws his hip through him and makes sure he knocks him over. Like I said, it's likely frustration at the prior two plays.

Find other examples, though. The fall you see from Smith there is a carbon copy of literally every similar collision. There is no other outcome. If you run a goalie, he's not staying on his feet, and his helmet likely isn't staying on his head.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They were there a few years ago and they'll be there in a couple years. Rebuilding takes time.

That's fine. Honestly I dont care where the Canucks are going to be ....just found it funny that someone downplay the playoff because their team didnt make it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They don't and the Flames are losing most games.

But feel free to post any example of Hath or Chucky doing something dirty with 1:30 to go in a game.
Hathaway has had a few questionable plays this year, but opposing fans would be extremely hard-pressed to find anything dirty in his play this year. But a reputation takes a while to change.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
That's fine. Honestly I dont care where the Canucks are going to be ....just found it funny that someone downplay the playoff because their team didnt make it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the Canucks to make the playoffs sooner than later. However, I didn't think that with the amount of teams they needed to overtake and the point gap they needed to close that they had a good chance of doing so. Usually I like it when more Canadian teams make the playoffs as I want to see a Canadian team win the cup (Jets have the best chance in my mind).

It's hard to cheer for the Flames when their goalie embellishes like Smith has done throughout his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad