GDT: HFBoards GDT | 3/23/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think that you can't hit goalies as hard as you want to. But if a goalie blocked an opponent from the puck as he tries to skate by, the goalies need to be called for interference. I seemingly remember Belfour getting a penalty for hitting someone behind the net, but goalies have gotten too much protection.

Goalies (including Mike Smith a few times this year) can definitely get called for interference for getting in the way when they don't have the puck. But when they do have the puck it's a bit of a loophole. They have all the same protections and can intentionally put their body in the way.

This is a natural human reaction by Smith being hit by Kane (about 6:35 if it doesn't skip to where it needs to be). Notice how he doesn't jump up after contact? Smith embellished.

And guess what, I bet you there were hordes of fans claiming it was a dive.

This is a play where he got spun by glancing contact. Edler's force was right through him. It makes sense that they look very different.

As you can see, Smith doesn't just flop whenever he feels contact. If a player drives through a goalie, though, he's going down and it's going to look spectacular.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even flames fans say it was a dive.. The slow-mo shows this clear as day as a dive
Pay special attention to his ankles on the jump dive.

I honestly have no idea what you think you're seeing on this replay. I get it's been a tough night, but still...

Love the salt from SN650, though.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Smith clearly sees them coming in those videos. I am a Flames fan, but he planned the reactions and it was clearly an embellishment penalty.

Reactions: canadianmagpie

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Goalies (including Mike Smith a few times this year) can definitely get called for interference for getting in the way when they don't have the puck. But when they do have the puck it's a bit of a loophole. They have all the same protections and can intentionally put their body in the way.

This is a play where he got spun by glancing contact. Edler's force was right through him. It makes sense that they look very different.

As you can see, Smith doesn't just flop whenever he feels contact. If a player drives through a goalie, though, he's going down and it's going to look spectacular.
You're really embarrassing yourself if you don't think he flopped there.

"drives through a goalie" hes slowing up and doesn't drive through anything.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My bad, you're right. These adults playing a children's game should never act immaturely, and the fans should have all gone to etiquette schools before being allowed to witness a game. These instances on example here were entirely isolated aberrations and we should all feel shame.
What

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're really embarrassing yourself if you don't think he flopped there.

"drives through a goalie" hes slowing up and doesn't drive through anything.

It's a take that is excusable watching it live, but on the video it's pretty sad that people are digging in their heels on the dive story.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I honestly have no idea what you think you're seeing on this replay. I get it's been a tough night, but still...

Love the salt from SN650, though.
It really hasn't, but it's funny how hard a lot of you seem to think Canucks fans are taking this loss. The season is just about done, we are not quite there yet. No one is getting worked up about the game to game results at this point. The game was actually fun to watch the the extra bit of emotion between the two teams.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

I'm sure there were because Smith's reputation of being a diver is well-founded. I'm not saying that Edler didn't touch him, I'm saying that Smith embellished the call. There is no rationale for why he needed to jump.

Smith=Avery

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
All the power to Mike Smith

It's the end of the game, and Vancouver is pressuring. Even Kelly Hrudey said it was a dive and a veteran move as the worst that happens is they call coincidental penalties.

smart move but ya'll people who think that wasnt an embellishment need to visit lens crafters. They have locations all over North America.

Reactions: canadianmagpie

Aug 3, 2010
Sorry, I will use shorter words.
Grown ups play kids games. Grown ups can act like kids too. Fans act like kids too. Everyone should act like grown ups but don't. Understand?

This is a natural human reaction by Smith being hit by Kane (about 6:35 if it doesn't skip to where it needs to be). Notice how he doesn't jump up after contact? Smith embellished.

Just pointing out these statements can be mutually exclusive facts. Just because one doesn't jump up from a similar hit doesn't mean a hit was better or worse - there are far too many factors. Rick DiPietro might have legimately died from one of those hits, whereas Hextall would just murder everyone and their family.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
All the power to Mike Smith

It's the end of the game, and Vancouver is pressuring. Even Kelly Hrudey said it was a dive and a veteran move as the worst that happens is they call coincidental penalties.

smart move but ya'll people who think that wasnt an embellishment need to visit lens crafters. They have locations all over North America.

That's how I feel too. The guy wants to win and will do whatever it takes.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
It's a take that is excusable watching it live, but on the video it's pretty sad that people are digging in their heels on the dive story.

Dude, you’re the one digging your heels in. . Yes, it was a penalty to elder. . Yes, it was also massive embellishment from smith. . It’s clear as day

Neutral fans agree it was embellishment, as do several flames fans

You’re welcome to your opinion on it, but calling the opposite viewpoint sad when you’re clearly in the minority is comical

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm sure there were because Smith's reputation of being a diver is well-founded. I'm not saying that Edler didn't touch him, I'm saying that Smith embellished the call. There is no rationale for why he needed to jump.

Smith wasn't in a position to jump, realistically. Prior to contact, his right skate had come off the ground while he was backhanding the puck. Then the contact happens while his left skate is taking his weight on his left, and people claim that from that position, he managed to jump to the left under his own power. That's not really possible.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's more of an Embellishment than a dive, he was probably going down anyways.
So then what are the elements that turn it into that? When does a goalie ever get knocked over in a graceful manner? Smith is off-balance, and as you say, he gets hit with more than enough force to knock him over. So what part of it is clearly embellishment? There's nothing that happens there that can't be the result of the impact IMO. If goalies got knocked over regularly with non-hilarious-looking results, that would be one thing, but it never really happens. They aren't equipped to take contact.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So then what are the elements that turn it into that? When does a goalie ever get knocked over in a graceful manner? Smith is off-balance, and as you say, he gets hit with more than enough force to knock him over. So what part of it is clearly embellishment? There's nothing that happens there that can't be the result of the impact IMO. If goalies got knocked over regularly with non-hilarious-looking results, that would be one thing, but it never really happens. They aren't equipped to take contact.
A swift breeze probably has enough strength to knock smith over though.

Reactions: kducks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->