GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/2/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is the problem. Good god. Just take physical contact out. Let stick checks remain, and hopefully all games will be 11-10 [mod].

Hitting cleanly requires skill and toughness. Hitting cheaply requires neither. I know which is worth respecting, and which deserves admonishment.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This Oiler/Coyotes game is awfully boring.
Have to try the rest of the Sharks/Avs game.
I agree but unfortunately I only have Sportsnet and TSN and that's the only game on right now.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I love the irony that they show an in-game shampoo commercial during downtime instead of letting Pierre McGuire ramble.

Reactions: Il Stugotz

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
This is stupid play of the Avs. I know what Ian Cole is trying to do, but they should have been doing it from the start of the game. This shit down 4-1 will only have the Sharks playing stronger, and will light up whoever the hell this new goalie is.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Ok I’ll explain it. Up by 3, 20 seconds left, in the sharks zone, a player who just passed the puck back behind his own net to basically kill the clock and surrender the game.

In what world is it considered a necessary hockey play to obliterate him with a borderline late high hit to knock him out with a concussion?

Can you run a guy and potentially alter his career and life in this situation? Apparently.

Should that actually be acceptable and encouraged by a league fretting over potential brain injuries? Hmm.

Is it ok to hit a guy with 1:30 left? 2? What’s the cutoff to laying out a guy with a clean hit?

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That's the way the league is trending for sure, just look at the new IIHF body contact rules, that's how you kill hitting.

I doubt it gets that bad though. The push back will be tough, even in the US where they still seem to see the game as barbaric. I just don't know when that happens, but we aren't there yet.
Negative. “Actual” attendance here at Iowa wild games is down probably 50%. My friend emcees there. And my company has club seats. “Paid” attendance is still good. Ive been to one game in 4 years (for free).. “attendance” was over 5500.. there were maybe 1000 people there. The only casual fans here want to see big hits, fights, scrums, etc. they have no clue what a toe drag is and are on their phone for the most part. The buccaneers games here are 1000x better, but still a joke, last game I went to they gave a game misconduct for, literally, a shoulder to the chest because it looked bad.

People from Canada don’t understand how bad it is. Carolina, Florida and Arizona are going to be the new norm in the US with the current rules. The league is a joke. Americans think of hockey as the last “tough sport” especially with what the NFL is now., a complete and total joke. Give them flags, especially the qbs.

Nhl won’t be far behind. How’s the junior pipeline on female players? 2022 probably.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Wow are Avalanche and Oilers destinies tied? they are catching the Oilers suck.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Is it ok to hit a guy with 1:30 left? 2? What’s the cutoff to laying out a guy with a clean hit?

1:30? Yup, cause the game isn’t over. Teams can score 3 goals and are usually still trying to do so.

Let’s not pretend the final seconds wind down sequence we’ve all seen a million times is some unknown unquantifiable thing now.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
The game was over. In other sports, there are unwritten rules as well. You don't dunk with 20 seconds left and the game outta reach. When the QB is kneeling the football you don't try and sack him.

It causes a lot of unnecessary crap, and can injure someone.

Hell, there's a chance Sam Bennett just ended Simek's career. All because he took a run at a guy in garbage time. It's not against the rules, the NHL said so (I don't agree with them), but it's disrespectful and uncalled for. That's dirty.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
25 seconds left. 3 goal game.

Everyone and their grandmother knew the game was over.

They were "playing it out" like they do in every sport. I get it was a heated end of the game, and sure perhaps Simek should have known better, but IMO that hit was uncalled for.

This is it. Was it technically illegal, probably not, but it was absolutely a dangerous and chicken*** play that didn't need to happen. There was no legitimate hockey reason to make that play.That hit may not be illegal, but if it isn't then the rules should be changed so that doesn't happen.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
The game was over. In other sports, there are unwritten rules as well. You don't dunk with 20 seconds left and the game outta reach. When the QB is kneeling the football you don't try and sack him.

It causes a lot of unnecessary crap, and can injure someone.

Hell, there's a chance Sam Bennett just ended Simek's career. All because he took a run at a guy in garbage time. It's not against the rules, the NHL said so (I don't agree with them), but it's disrespectful and uncalled for. That's dirty.

Not even close to same as QB kneel...

Hockey is a different game. There are fights at the end of games. I’m not saying it’s ok to ‘end a players career’. But that was a clean hit in regulation in a chippy game.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
1:30? Yup, cause the game isn’t over. Teams can score 3 goals and are usually still trying to do so.

Let’s not pretend the final seconds wind down sequence we’ve all seen a million times is some unknown unquantifiable thing now.

So essentially no hitting with 1:30 left if there’s a bigger than 3 goal difference. Just in case someone gets hurt. Good to know.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Wow are Avalanche and Oilers destinies tied? they are catching the Oilers suck.

They essentially are the Oilers. Lots of high draft picks. Shit drafting outside of the top 10. Shit bottom 9. Shit Defence. Shit coaching.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Not even close to same as QB kneel...

Hockey is a different game. There are fights at the end of games. I’m not saying it’s ok to ‘end a players career’. But that was a clean hit in regulation in a chippy game.

Whatever you say man, it's the exact same as a kneel, but justify it however you'd like.

If Evander Kane did this exact same thing to TJ Brodie you'd have lost your shit. So trying to change your mind is a exercise in futility.

Reactions: 53or8

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Heiskanen with 2 goals and a goal line clear to keep it from being tied. I didn't think he'd be better than Klingberg halfway through the season, but here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad