GDT: HFBoards GDT | 1/2/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Is it against the rules to hit someone if you are up by 3? Never heard of that

Ok I’ll explain it. Up by 3, 20 seconds left, in the sharks zone, a player who just passed the puck back behind his own net to basically kill the clock and surrender the game.

In what world is it considered a necessary hockey play to obliterate him with a borderline late high hit to knock him out with a concussion?

Can you run a guy and potentially alter his career and life in this situation? Apparently.

Should that actually be acceptable and encouraged by a league fretting over potential brain injuries? Hmm.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I can't believe that Devs Stars game is tied given how bad the Devs were getting out possessed and outshot. Their CEO has to be raging.

That penalty on wood was one of the worst calls of the year. At worst it deserved 2. Blackwood still looks solid even with the 4 goals against. The defense was non existent for them for a good period and a half.

Even with out that 5 min major and the 3 mins of PP time, they were still caving the Devils in.

Hynes and his staff have to be one of the worst in the NHl.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
jingle bells batman smells oilers laid an egg

Seriously what's up with that team?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Ok I’ll explain it. Up by 3, 20 seconds left, in the sharks zone, a player who just passed the puck back behind his own net to basically kill the clock and surrender the game.

In what world is it considered a necessary hockey play to obliterate him with a borderline late high hit to knock him out with a concussion?

Can you run a guy and potentially alter his career and life in this situation? Apparently.

Should that actually be acceptable and encouraged by a league fretting over potential brain injuries? Hmm.

He is playing a professional sport with body contact. Play whistle to whistle. Who cares what the score is and how much time is left. He has nobody to blame for getting blasted other than himself. He needs to have his head on a swivel and be aware who is on the ice especially in a chippy game like that one, and protect himself. Just because his team is down doesn’t make him immune to body contact.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
jingle bells batman smells oilers laid an egg

Seriously what's up with that team?
Bob Nicholson, Wayne Gretzky, Kevin Lowe, Peter Chiarelli, Craig MacTavish, Scott Howson

Not a clue how to build a hockey team.

I thought 2010 was rock bottom. Then 2013 happened. Then 2014. Then 2015. Then last season. And now we're here.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
He is playing a professional sport with body contact. Play whistle to whistle. Who cares what the score is and how much time is left. He has nobody to blame for getting blasted other than himself. He needs to have his head on a swivel and be aware who is on the ice especially in a chippy game like that one, and protect himself. Just because his team is down doesn’t make him immune to body contact.
No. But the game was over.

It's not against the rules, but it was pretty classless, and cheap.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009

Well, I’m pretty sure the refs gave him a game misconduct for intent to injure so they atleast felt differently even if Parros didn’t.

There’s a reason you don’t see a whole lot of guys getting smoked in the final seconds of a well decided game. And a reason why when you do it’s usually followed by a huge scrum and fights by all the NHL players in the game who feel differently.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
No. But the game was over.

It's not against the rules, but it was pretty classless, and cheap.

It wasn’t over. There was time left still and it was a heated game. How can you not expect to get hit in that scenario? I get that you’re mad because your player got hurt. But you wanna talk about context well there it is.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Well, I’m pretty sure the refs gave him a game misconduct for intent to injure so they atleast felt differently even if Parros didn’t.

There’s a reason you don’t see a whole lot of guys getting smoked in the final seconds of a well decided game. And a reason why when you do it’s usually followed by a huge scrum and fights by all the NHL players in the game who feel differently.

You should remove the "ol" from the last part of your username.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
It wasn’t over. There was time left still and it was a heated game. How can you not expect to get hit in that scenario? I get that you’re mad because your player got hurt. But you wanna talk about context well there it is.
25 seconds left. 3 goal game.

Everyone and their grandmother knew the game was over.

They were "playing it out" like they do in every sport. I get it was a heated end of the game, and sure perhaps Simek should have known better, but IMO that hit was uncalled for.

Reactions: SnarkAttack

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009

20 seconds left down by 3 and just passed the puck backward behind his own net. The game was over. The players were starting the mill around the ice and play keep away with the puck sequence that ends every game that’s out of reach of one team.

It wasn’t a particularly heated game either, bennet was heated over Dell slashing him earlier and not getting a call for it, which he should have gotten. So he gave a dude who had nothing to do with any of that a concussion to end the game. Super.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
25 seconds left. 3 goal game.

Everyone and their grandmother knew the game was over.

They were "playing it out" like they do in every sport. I get it was a heated end of the game, and sure perhaps Simek should have known better, but IMO that hit was uncalled for.

I can’t disagree that it was uncalled for.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
That Wood hit is absolutely a penalty. Watch him take two strides after the puck has already left. This isn't finishing a check, it's starting a new one.
This is the problem. Good god. Just take physical contact out. Let stick checks remain, and hopefully all games will be 11-10 [mod].

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
This Oiler/Coyotes game is awfully boring.
Have to try the rest of the Sharks/Avs game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
20 seconds left down by 3 and just passed the puck backward behind his own net. The game was over. The players were starting the mill around the ice and play keep away with the puck sequence that ends every game that’s out of reach of one team.

It wasn’t a particularly heated game either, bennet was heated over Dell slashing him earlier and not getting a call for it, which he should have gotten. So he gave a dude who had nothing to do with any of that a concussion to end the game. Super.

If it was just the Dell slash, I doubt this occurs. Sorensen was trying to run guys all over the place in his last shift, but the Flames had their heads up. He actually broke his stick on the back of a Flames player with a slash out of frustration after he missed with a hit. Then Kane got himself thrown out for sucker-punching in a scrum and taking guys down from behind. All of this after Dell's cowardice.

Yeah, the Sharks would have loved it if the Flames let them run out the clock without responding. Most of the time, teams do, because the opposition hasn't given them motivation not to.

Reactions: FerklundCGY

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
This is the problem. Good god. Just take physical contact out. Let stick checks remain, and hopefully all games will be 11-10 [mod].
That's the way the league is trending for sure, just look at the new IIHF body contact rules, that's how you kill hitting.

I doubt it gets that bad though. The push back will be tough, even in the US where they still seem to see the game as barbaric. I just don't know when that happens, but we aren't there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad