Votes: 9 69.2%
  • League Draft

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Haha maybe we should set up some betting. I'll be making the first video likely tomorrow to give rmac some time in case he wanted something specific.

What I'll do in the first video is go over the season preview, show all the teams and their tactics, and kind of explain how I'll run the matches. Then I'll do one matchday per video (including in the first) and it goes through every game successively. I'll be running them on extended highlights with only replays on goals so you don't have to endure too much of my (very poor) commentary (or you can mute it, w/e). Then I'll upload the video to youtube and post a thread :)

EDIT - if RMAC is in today I might even do the first matchday tonight.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Haha maybe we should set up some betting. I'll be making the first video likely tomorrow to give rmac some time in case he wanted something specific.

What I'll do in the first video is go over the season preview, show all the teams and their tactics, and kind of explain how I'll run the matches. Then I'll do one matchday per video (including in the first) and it goes through every game successively. I'll be running them on extended highlights with only replays on goals so you don't have to endure too much of my (very poor) commentary (or you can mute it, w/e). Then I'll upload the video to youtube and post a thread :)

EDIT - if RMAC is in today I might even do the first matchday tonight.
We could very easily make this interesting. Whoever wins gets their choice of draft pick in the first league draft. :laugh:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is it cool with people if I post my team by 11ish tonight ? This weekend got strangely busy for the apocalypse and I would like to add some more depth to what I got. Then things can start tomorrow?

I could also put up a team sheet sooner and then add more writing and stuff to it later tonight when I got some more time.

Thoughts?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Is it cool with people if I post my team by 11ish tonight ? This weekend got strangely busy for the apocalypse and I would like to add some more depth to what I got. Then things can start tomorrow?

I could also put up a team sheet sooner and then add more writing and stuff to it later tonight when I got some more time.

Thoughts?
I think we can wait 3 hours lol

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Obviously @robertmac43 hasn't posted his side yet, but I thought I'd share my thoughts on each team for what its' worth. Just my honest take and I hope I don't offend anyone, but of course have at me if you want.

@Cassano I really liked your side at first glance, not as much after that, but still a solid side. For starters, I appreciate your commentary and the fact that for the most part what you posted makes sense. I appreciate your honest take of your side's flaws just as much. You starting back line is probably the best defense in the draft because of what the future likely holds. That said they all have some proving to do. I think the Sane-Lewandowski tandem would reap a lot of goals. Not so convinced by Hudson-Odoi and I'd have started Richarlison or Jesus ahead of him. Midfield needs some work for me. Arthur is fantastic and I know he has the ability to be the creator, but he hasn't had to do it yet so perhaps David Silva (despite being overrated on this forum) or Alli would be a better option. I think your bench is pretty solid, but your backup defense has issues and I don't know how many future top tier players you have for the future. Of course you do in your starting XI though.

@The Abusement Park I think if you're going to trade away a talent like Haaland, and thank you for trading with me and credit to you for recognizing his talent and taking him when you did, you need to do better with the picks you were given. From a picks perspective you had a lot to work with too. For me Fernandes was fine when you took him, but I don't think Kante was a wise choice there. He's a good partner for Fernandes because he provides defensive cover, but you should have picked differently. I think you'd get more goals than you speculated out of your front three. That said I'm not a fan of Lukaku and you don't have great depth for the future there either unless you shift Rashford over. Rashford was a good pick, but you already know that. Your formation makes sense with just about everyone in their right place (not Olmo) and your side looks well balanced. I think the biggest issues I have are you'd be pretty reliant on Fernandes and in the future you'd be short on attacking players.

@Pavel Buchnevich I'd be very curious to see your formation in graphic form. I think I get it, but just to be sure. That said I'd probably change it. I think you'd be well suited to do a 4-3-3 with Ronaldo-Aubameyang and Sterling. I just think your midfield would be lacking in terms of a strong creator. I'm not a big fan of your midfield either and you could have done better than a guy like Gundogan. Defensively you've got strong fullbacks, but your CBs aren't top tier. They're by no means, but I'd consider starting Zagadou and seeing what he can do were I you. Your bench is a mixed bag. On the one hand I wouldn't expect much of an immediate impact, on the other you've got guys like Rodrygo, Greenwood, Reinier (who could well be better than Vinicius Jr or Rodrygo and who is more proven than he gets credit for here apparently), Camavinga and Zagadou. From a picks perspective I'm not sure I'd have gone Ronaldo, but hard to pass him up. Aubameyang was a steal though, nicely done. When it's all said and done I think you'd be competitive in the short term with the potential to be quite strong in the long term.

@Savant Ugh, a real mixed bag. You've got some real talent there, but I'm not sure you're going to get the best out of it. I think you need a formation change to something a three man attack. You also probably need a three man midfield considering the midfield options you have. From a player perspective you've got a lot of good players and then some headscratchers. Your starting defense illustrates this nicely I think as you've got TAA, De Ligt, Upamecano and then... Lucas Hernandez. Overall it's such a mixed bag as I said because you've got some serious talent, but I think you'd only be so competitive initially and in the future your attack's quality isn't certain.

@SJSharks39 I think you did pretty well overall. Your best draft yet? You starting XI is strong, but I wouldn't line up as you did. I think it's a mistake have Neymar-Isco-Coman and then saying that Neymar and Coman are going to be playing more centrally. I don't think you'll get the best out of Neymar and Coman that way and the three of them will be fighting too much for the ball. I'd also have probably started Stengs over Coman. I'd also probably drop Isco back into midfield with Saul at CM and Busquets at DM. That would still give Isco freedom but also better balance out your side. I'd say your weak spots after Coman are your fullbacks, but I use "weak" relative to the rest of your Starting XI and your CBs. Possibly Donnaruma as well. As good as your starting XI is, your bench leaves something to be desired. Cavani is getting old pretty fast it seems, Jovic seems dumber than a truck and is having a tough start in Madrid, your midfielders are too similar... Some other issues potentially too. I guess too many question marks on the bench. I think your team would be quite competitive initially with some of the changes I'd make, but longer term it wouldn't be despite having a couple of strong prospects.

@Duchene2MacKinnon Ugh, I'm very disappointed. I think you let emotional attachment get in the way. De Bruyne as good as he is potentially costs you an attacker. The winds went that way too and then you made it worse by drafting Firmino. Then you drafted Insigne... Fortunately you saw your lack of goals and took Icardi, and you are very lucky he was available there, but now he's on the bench anyway. You should have either changed your formation to accommodate the fact that you needed Icardi to start or better yet traded Firmino to the obvious buyers. None of that is to say any of those guys are bad players, in fact quite the opposite, but at the end of the day where are your goals coming from? And while I'm at it I wouldn't start Lo Celso nor would I have drafted him where you did. I think you made too many mistakes with your picks and should have been more active trading. The good thing is that you do have good talent and you know how to use your players for the most part. You've got two best in the World players in De Bruyne and Ter Stegen too which is great. I think initially you'd be somewhat competitive, long term somewhat competitive too.

@YNWA14 I think you've got some serious talent, but a few holes and perhaps a few things I'd do differently. I'll start by questioning your assertion about Mbappe's goals per minute. I would think Haaland would be ahead of that. Either way Mbappe' is we know the real deal and the #1 "prospect" in the World atm. Anyway, I have trouble with Havertz on the bench. I'd have kept him in your starting XI. You can keep Memphis and Mueller too, in fact you should. I don't think you need your three midfielders and can lose one to fit Havertz in as an AM. That would for me have maximized your attacking potential and helped to better link your defense to attack. I understand wanting to protect that defense though as your CBs are your weak point. I don't think Torres is perfect and I don't think he's as fast as you seem to think he is. Your wingbacks are fantastic and hopefully Pereira recovers well from injury. Your bench is a mixed bag. Bale has been struggling of late and you only get so much out of Tierney, Goretzka and Tomori, but Thuram, Foden, Ihattaren, Kamara and Meret are good options to have. I think your team would be competitive now and in the future, so nicely done.

@Venkman It always suck having to deal with Venkman in these drafts. Dude always puts together solid teams and never talks. It's like he just shows up when it's all said and done and plops down this good team. Easily one of the most consistent guys here. Anyone else taking Van Dijk there probably would have been hurt by such a pick, but of course you were not. Overall I think your tactics and formation all make sense. Hummels and Van Dijk should be switched though (unless you guys are purposely inverting your CBs in which case I'd love to know why). That would make your left side more susceptible though. Overall I don't think you have best players in the World (Van Dijk aside), but good ones the whole way through. Your bench provides some good cover too. My question marks are around certain players (Dembele's injury history, Vinicius Jr's true ceiling, Eriksen's current ability) and how good your team would be in the future. Right now I would think your team would be quite competitive, but down the road not as much.

@Wee Baby Seamus Another mixed bag here. I think you have some real talent there, but some question marks regarding plenty of guys. The good news is that you have a believable formation and tactics with pretty much everyone in their right place. I would indeed start Gueye over Rabiot at the moment, but again at least you recognized this. I like that you picked Di Maria (I was ready to take him about 10 rounds later as I thought he was still out there LOL) as you needed that creativity. Pogba will need to contribute on the goals front, but he probably does here. You have the best LB depth in the draft. That said I'm not so sold on your defense and I think you might have gambled more with your picks there. Bench looks pretty solid, but again those question marks remain. Overall I think y our team would be pretty competitive right now but less so in the future.

@Live in the Now I like a lot of your players and I think your tactics and formation largely make sense. However I would put Messi out on the right, possibly in Felix's role in the near future, but then I'd change the formation anyway. I think you really should have nabbed Suarez when you had the chance as he and Messi together are gold and I think they could be for another season or two. That said you've got Jimenez and Lacazette on the bench and I would start one of them, but you're left with having to bench someone you probably don't want to. Overall you have some serious talent in midfield and attack assuming Ndombele comes back. Your defense has some question marks though. Not bad players by any means, but I'm not entirely sold on that unit. I disagree with you about bench players and I have multiple guys I'd love to have started. In addition to that you have a strong bench. On top of that in a draft like this it gives you options for the future. Overall I think your team would be competitive now with some excellent players for the future, but I think you could use a certain level of striker.

@Vasilevskiy Teams sucks. Obviously too many Madrid players. In all seriousness I think your formation and tactics work and you understand your players (though I'd certainly flip your backup CBs and possibly your starters). You've got some great talent too in Sancho, Dybala, Marquinhos, etc with some potential stars in the future. I do have some questions though. Not sure if Dybala leads the line week in and week out. I'd put Sancho on the left and start Traore at this moment in time. I'm not entirely sold on your pivots either, though I've always found Pjanic overrated. Overall I think you could use a bit of a different mix of players. I think your team would be somewhat competitive now with some real potential in the future, however some of that potential overlaps.

Overall I don't think anyone runs away this which is a good sign, but I do think a few teams stand out.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m not getting alerts or notifications right now. Think I am switching to 433 though

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
@The Abusement Park I think if you're going to trade away a talent like Haaland, and thank you for trading with me and credit to you for recognizing his talent and taking him when you did, you need to do better with the picks you were given. From a picks perspective you had a lot to work with too. For me Fernandes was fine when you took him, but I don't think Kante was a wise choice there. He's a good partner for Fernandes because he provides defensive cover, but you should have picked differently. I think you'd get more goals than you speculated out of your front three. That said I'm not a fan of Lukaku and you don't have great depth for the future there either unless you shift Rashford over. Rashford was a good pick, but you already know that. Your formation makes sense with just about everyone in their right place (not Olmo) and your side looks well balanced. I think the biggest issues I have are you'd be pretty reliant on Fernandes and in the future you'd be short on attacking players.

Yeah somewhat early on in the draft I knew that my attack was going to be the weakest part of my team. The only player I regret picking(in a sense) is kante since all the elite strikers went immediately after him and there was a chance I could’ve had him+ Dybala/Aguero which makes my team look a whole lot better. In saying that I have a ST(even if you don’t like him) who’s a guaranteed 20+ goals a year, a LW who looks like 20 goal 5-10 assist guy, a RW who’s 10-10 and an AM who could be 10-15 goal 10 assist guy.

I do think my team while set up in a 443 has a lot of balance and can be used effectively in multiple formations to utilize all my players pretty well. And while I do think that my defense and midfield can handle just about any team in the draft it’s pretty obvious my offense will be my Achilles heel.

Reactions: les Habs

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
@les Habs I appreciate the feedback. I think the KDB pick was the correct call at the time. All the strikers did get scooped up early I thought i would've had the opportunity to get Lautaro, it obviously didn't happen. The players you have grips with weren't my first choices (you stole my first choice lol). The GLC pick was the hardest pick I had to make but I think your being harsh on my team's ability to score which they would do just fine as a committee. They also would get bailed out by Icardi plan B. I thought of trading Bobby but honestly just didn't put in the time to formulate a trade. Wanted Sane for him but quickly figured it wasn't possible. Still going forward my team should score enough... I'm obviously biased though. I do agree I don't think I have one of the best teams. I liked it up until I saw Vaslievsky and LITN both teams at a glance look like the cream of the crop.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah somewhat early on in the draft I knew that my attack was going to be the weakest part of my team. The only player I regret picking(in a sense) is kante since all the elite strikers went immediately after him and there was a chance I could’ve had him+ Dybala/Aguero which makes my team look a whole lot better. In saying that I have a ST(even if you don’t like him) who’s a guaranteed 20+ goals a year, a LW who looks like 20 goal 5-10 assist guy, a RW who’s 10-10 and an AM who could be 10-15 goal 10 assist guy.

I do think my team while set up in a 443 has a lot of balance and can be used effectively in multiple formations to utilize all my players pretty well. And while I do think that my defense and midfield can handle just about any team in the draft it’s pretty obvious my offense will be my Achilles heel.

I did say I do think that your goal total that you gave your attack was too light.

@les Habs I appreciate the feedback. I think the KDB pick was the correct call at the time. All the strikers did get scooped up early I thought i would've had the opportunity to get Lautaro, it obviously didn't happen. The players you have grips with weren't my first choices (you stole my first choice lol). The GLC pick was the hardest pick I had to make but I think your being harsh on my team's ability to score which they would do just fine as a committee. They also would get bailed out by Icardi plan B. I thought of trading Bobby but honestly just didn't put in the time to formulate a trade. Wanted Sane for him but quickly figured it wasn't possible. Still going forward my team should score enough... I'm obviously biased though. I do agree I don't think I have one of the best teams. I liked it up until I saw Vaslievsky and LITN both teams at a glance look like the cream of the crop.

I just think you'd really need to find a way for Icardi to start, whatever than entails.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Before I post team, feel free to rip on my round 6 pre game...get it over with, I recognize it was a reach and a half ;). Tielemens is a solid player and O'm happy I got him, although it was definitely early.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Before I post team, feel free to rip on my round 6 pre game...get it over with, I recognize it was a reach and a half ;). Tielemens is a solid player and O'm happy I got him, although it was definitely early.
I honestly think there’s a chance he wouldn’t have been drafted if you didn’t take him. Good player but I think he’s a bit underrated and with the likes of Rice not being picked it’s definitely a possibility.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
@Venkman It always suck having to deal with Venkman in these drafts. Dude always puts together solid teams and never talks. It's like he just shows up when it's all said and done and plops down this good team. Easily one of the most consistent guys here. Anyone else taking Van Dijk there probably would have been hurt by such a pick, but of course you were not. Overall I think your tactics and formation all make sense. Hummels and Van Dijk should be switched though (unless you guys are purposely inverting your CBs in which case I'd love to know why). That would make your left side more susceptible though. Overall I don't think you have best players in the World (Van Dijk aside), but good ones the whole way through. Your bench provides some good cover too. My question marks are around certain players (Dembele's injury history, Vinicius Jr's true ceiling, Eriksen's current ability) and how good your team would be in the future. Right now I would think your team would be quite competitive, but down the road not as much.
[/USER]

Thank you sir! An enjoyable read as usual. Yeah I need to start trash talking more, get the ol' post count up a bit. :D I put van Dijk left side just because he's such a beast there and Gaya would probably be higher up the pitch than Wan-Bissaka leaving Hummels a little more exposed. Your question marks are fair, I thought about the same things when drafting them. Only really have Ben Yedder, Eriksen and Halstenberg in their late 20s on my bench so should be ok going forward. I think it's well balanced although another high potential youngster or 2 wouldn't hurt.

Thanks @SJSharks39 for running it, it's been a good distraction.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm just finishing up the first league draft thread, should be open pretty soon. Clock won't start until tomorrow (same 10 hour clock).

First league up is Serie A.

I'll give a little spoiler on draft order so these guys can think about it and aren't put on the spot right away. First three picks are @Cassano @robertmac43 and @Live in the Now

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad