8- Annunen
9- Greer
10- Weiss
Hm- Kovalenko,Ranta

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What kind of offensive ceiling do you think Shyv has? Do you see him hitting 60+ points? Or more in the 40-50 points range?

High... he has the pure puck skills and talent to put up really good numbers. There is significant risk with his game though and he could fizzle out in a year or two over here. I wouldn't ever count on him putting up points in the NHL ever, but if he does, he will be an impact producer. Lots of scoring ability in him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
High... he has the pure puck skills and talent to put up really good numbers. There is significant risk with his game though and he could fizzle out in a year or two over here. I wouldn't ever count on him putting up points in the NHL ever, but if he does, he will be an impact producer. Lots of scoring ability in him.

I like the sound of that. How likely did you think his skills translate to the NHL and smaller rink?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Honestly very close on Kaut, Timmons, Meloche, and Bowers. I think arguments can be made for all 4. Went Timmons for no real reason.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Went Kaut because of recency bias. I just really like the guy even though his is close to Bowers and Timmins

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I always tend to get too emotional in these lists, so I am going to try and keep cool this time hahaha. I am going to vote simply on who I think will have the best impact in the NHL, when majority of these lists lean to being NHL ready as we've seen in the past.

I really like both Kaut and Bowers, but not sure we've seen Martin have that next offencive level of talent and I am still iffy on Shane's offencive potential when he gets to the higher leagues - this upcoming season should be a good test when he gets tougher minutes. It is hard to take them over Timmins and the season he just had - he's extremely smart, crafty with the puck, and has decent enough tools you want from an NHL. Needs some improvements here and there with fine tuning of those tools, but he should be a top 4 defender with perhaps enough potential to become a low-end #2 considering how smart he is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I go:

Makar
Kaut
Bowers
Timmins
Meloche
Shvyrev
Kamenev
Ranta
Greer
Annunen/Weiss

My top 10.

Lewis, Beaudin, Nantel, Morrison, Smirnov, Anderson, Geertsen... I don’t rate these guys. Henry a long shot. Don’t know enough about Dickinson and the late round guys we drafted this year.

I still have Greer 7th, although I won't argue with anyone who rates Kamenev more...and I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Ranta/Weiss to know how I feel about them against AJ & Kam since I watched so much less youth hockey this year...either way:

AJG didn't get to show much in the NHL, but even playing next to Gork & Toni, he was able to show the soft hands & passing touch that has made me so adamant that he's a legit top 9 prospect...who's ceiling is a rich man's McGinn, as the third wheel on a scoring line, only with Roussel's agitation game & the skill to be more than just a finisher.

The talent is there & he's not awkward about using it when he's playing with linemates that have any talent. Add his work ethic, drive, & tenacity, and I'm a believer.

I also still really like Beaudin. I'm lowkey expecting a big step in this 2nd pro-season from him. As Henchy likes to point out the kid generally takes a year to settle in at a new level; and he made real progress last season...plus he's already played in Loveland before & so should be one of the best positioned to hit the ground running this year.

I still don't know if he'll have the skill to keep up with his creativity & ever be more than a 4th line prospect for the NHL; but I'm expecting him to look a lot like AHL-Soderberg for the Eagles next season and am far from writing him off.

And I separate the Kovalenko / Lewis / Smirnov / Zhuravlyov / Leivermann's who have some legit skill, but may well never be more than AAAA-tweeners and/or will need multiple years of development before we even start to get an idea if they'll work out...he says glaring at Zhuravlyov & Leivermann...from the Henry / Dickinson / Morrison / Nantel's who's ceilings are on the 4th line...3rd line for Henry.

Not that I expect much from any of them, but those are two very different categories of longshots for me that I feel the need to differentiate.

Edit; so I guess my top 10 would be:

Makar

Kaut
Shvyryov -- (once I see it on a jersey I'll be able to reprogram myself on his preferred spelling lol)
Meloche
Timmins
Bowers

Greer
Kamenev
Annunen
Ranta / Weiss

With that last spot being a struggle for me at this point.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Went Bowers, he is extremely under-rated. Just outperformed #4 overall pick Brady Tkachuk on the same team and is only two months older than him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Went Bowers, he is extremely under-rated. Just outperformed #4 overall pick Brady Tkachuk on the same team and is only two months older than him.

He's also not as talented as Tkachuk. Production is great, but it's the skills that you need to project to the NHL, not the #s.

Reactions: McMetal

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He's also not as talented as Tkachuk. Production is great, but it's the skills that you need to project to the NHL, not the #s.
Not sure why people keep saying stuff like this about him. Obviously he is doing something right. Every place he plays he does well. What does he have to do to show people that he can be a quality player at the NHL level. I think he has the potential to be way more than what people are giving him credit for.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not sure why people keep saying stuff like this about him. Obviously he is doing something right. Every place he plays he does well. What does he have to do to show people that he can be a quality player at the NHL level. I think he has the potential to be way more than what people are giving him credit for.

Because some of us have watched the two of them play and aren't just reading a statsheet?...and I didn't even watch many BU games. Not being as talented as Tkachuk doesn't mean he's not a talented prospect or can't ever be a legit 2C :dunno:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm honestly very surprised that Kaut is winning here. It looks like Timmins will run away with #3 but I figured the polls would go the other way around.

My top ten would be:

Makar
Kaut
Timmins
Meloche
Kamenev
Shvyrev (I'm pretty sure this is how his name is being transliterated)
Bowers
Greer
Lewis
Wiess

And then it's a kind of a jumble of guys like Beaudin, Morrison, and Lievermann who still have some potential in the system, and new guys I'm high on like Annunen and Kovalenko. Not a big fan of Ranta or Zhuravlyov but they'll probably fall somewhere in the top 20 based on ceiling despite my doubts about their reaching it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Because some of us have watched the two of them play and aren't just reading a statsheet?...and I didn't even watch many BU games. Not being as talented as Tkachuk doesn't mean he's not a talented prospect or can't ever be a legit 2C :dunno:
I don't know, but it seems insane to me that people say Tkachuk has more talent, when Bowers did better than him at basically the same age on the same team playing a harder position and getting less opportunities. You don't score 17 goals as a freshman by accident. Compare that to Tkachuk's 8. If we were talking 2-3 goals difference then so what, but that's a 9 goal gap.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have seen him play a few times (I don't just look at a scoresheet as you seem to think I do) and I'm not sold that Tkachuk is significantly more talented than Bowers. The advantage I will give to Tkachuk is his already NHL sized body.

Reactions: Patagonia

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The question is how Bowers will translate his offense to the pros. That's all that really matters in a draft pick, Yakupov had crazy production in juniors, but it didn't translate to success in the pros. Now obviously I'm not comparing the two apples to apples, but there are reasons to look at the raw skill Brady has and see that translating smoothly to the next level. Bowers has some skill for sure, but it's more of a blue collar style and that often takes a hit when players take it to the pros. To really be a top six forward in the NHL you need to show flash at lower levels, not just production.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Matchups make a difference. Brady and Bowers were frequently on different line and Bowers faced easier competition. That said, Bowers has underrated skill. I think he will produce real solid top 6 numbers in the NHL.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know, but it seems insane to me that people say Tkachuk has more talent, when Bowers did better than him at basically the same age on the same team playing a harder position and getting less opportunities. You don't score 17 goals as a freshman by accident. Compare that to Tkachuk's 8. If we were talking 2-3 goals difference then so what, but that's a 9 goal gap.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have seen him play a few times (I don't just look at a scoresheet as you seem to think I do) and I'm not sold that Tkachuk is significantly more talented than Bowers. The advantage I will give to Tkachuk is his already NHL sized body.

Opens with talking about talent...immediately uses production to make his point...
Production is great, but it's the skills that you need to project to the NHL, not the #s.

As for the bolded part of your post: What about Tkachuk's hands, his better touch as a passer, and his superior creativity down low?

Bowers skill got crazy under-rated by Sens fans who didn't see him in camp, while Batherson & Formenton almost made their NHL team, but some avs fans have taken it to the other extreme with this "same production as Tkachuk" stuff. Bowers' shot is the only offensive tool that I think is better than Tkachuk's...and that might just be because I didn't watch enough BU games to get a great read on Tkachuk's shot...

There were a lot of players I'd have taken ahead of Tkachuk in this draft, but let's not under-rate his skill level.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Opens with talking about talent...immediately uses production to make his point...

As for the bolded part of your post: What about Tkachuk's hands, his better touch as a passer, and his superior creativity down low?

Bowers skill got crazy under-rated by Sens fans who didn't see him in camp, while Batherson & Formenton almost made their NHL team, but some avs fans have taken it to the other extreme with this "same production as Tkachuk" stuff. Bowers' shot is the only offensive tool that I think is better than Tkachuk's...and that might just be because I didn't watch enough BU games to get a great read on Tkachuk's shot...

There were a lot of players I'd have taken ahead of Tkachuk in this draft, but let's not under-rate his skill level.

You say that about his shot, but his hockey IQ is raced about.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Matchups make a difference. Brady and Bowers were frequently on different line and Bowers faced easier competition. That said, Bowers has underrated skill. I think he will produce real solid top 6 numbers in the NHL.

Henchman, I have not commented much but I was reading different teams forums in regards to the trade rumor threads and things like that. For trade deals against Colorado, multipe people on HF boards want Shvyryov as a secondary piece coming back. I bet they know who Greer or Bowers is, but why do they keep asking for Shvyryov? Maybe they are watching him more then we or they know more then we do. I don't want to be in that situation as Hawks were when they traded Panarin. I am not comparing Panarin, but what if Shvyryov is half as skillful as him. There is not a lot of utube or video on this Colorado rocket prospect.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Henchman, I have not commented much but I was reading different teams forums in regards to the trade rumor threads and things like that. For trade deals against Colorado, multipe people on HF boards want Shvyryov as a secondary piece coming back. I bet they know who Greer or Bowers is, but why do they keep asking for Shvyryov? Maybe they are watching him more then we or they know more then we do. I don't want to be in that situation as Hawks were when they traded Panarin. I am not comparing Panarin, but what if Shvyryov is half as skillful as him. There is not a lot of utube or video on this Colorado rocket prospect.

Fans of other teams probably see him as a skilled player with upside that Colorado fans wouldn't value. But people wanting and debating trades is much different than what would actually happen. For the Avs, it would make no sense to include Shvy in any deal... not any real value around the league and they don't really know what they have in him yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad