• LW - AJ Greer - 2015 #39 - (6)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As a ceiling, I think Timmins has #2 upside and I've stated as such. Reasonable projections are a bit different... things rarely go perfectly in transitions. If he ends up a good #3 with two way ability, I think things will have gone pretty well and that is a very good NHL player.

Similar to how I have it.... Makar - Bowers - Kaut - Shvy - Timmins are my clear top 5 and all very good prospects. Meloche and Kamenev are a step back from that group (offensive upside questions on both hold them back), but a bigger step away from the next group.

Well that's not correct...
Just curious, is Greer in your top five? Does anyone still have him top five?

I have him at 7 battling with Kam

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Yeah that is how I see them. All very good players with projectable roles. Timmins will have to sort some things out and needs a decent amount of work still (which is why he falls behind a bit), but the issues are certainly correctable.

Alrighty. I like what I hear and I'll also like your post.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As a ceiling, I think Timmins has #2 upside and I've stated as such. Reasonable projections are a bit different... things rarely go perfectly in transitions. If he ends up a good #3 with two way ability, I think things will have gone pretty well and that is a very good NHL player.

Similar to how I have it.... Makar - Bowers - Kaut - Shvy - Timmins are my clear top 5 and all very good prospects. Meloche and Kamenev are a step back from that group (offensive upside questions on both hold them back), but a bigger step away from the next group.

I had no idea you guys all had Shvy that high.

What kind of offensive upside do you think Timmins has? I think he could hit 30-40 points, and be kind of like McDonagh, Trouba, or EJ.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Oh and by the way, voted for Timmins. I like a lot about what I've seen from him and what I've read about him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

What kind of offensive upside do you think Timmins has? I think he could hit 30-40 points, and be kind of like McDonagh, Trouba, or EJ.

I think he has more talent than Kam...and might have the highest offensive ceiling of all our forward prospects...to go with a respectable two-way game. Now he still has plenty of work to get there, but him coming answered the biggest question about him as a prospect.

Plus I dunno if his skating will be good enough to stay at center and so see him as a puck dominant winger, unlike Henchy who does see him at center. But the talent is real.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think he has more talent than Kam and might have the highest offensive ceiling of all our forward prospects...to go with a respectable two-way game. Now he still has plenty of work to get there, but him coming answered the biggest question about him as a prospect.

Plus I dunno if his skating will be good enough to stay at center and so see him as a puck dominant winger, unlike Henchy who does see him at center. But the talent is real.

I was really excited to see him in the AHL this year, but that is high praise. Hope you guys are right.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was really excited to see him in the AHL this year, but that is high praise. Hope you guys are right.

Dunno if henchy agrees with me about him possibly having the highest offensive ceiling of our current forward prospects...and I waffle between him & Kaut for that title myself...but he has a ton of skill & impressive creativity to go with a good frame and nasty shot.

Either way...that soon to be formed AJG-Shvyry-Kaut line is totes taking the Eagles from Kelly Cup to Calder Cup with french-Nic & concussion-Connor on the blueline, and the-Frenchman in goal. This much is clear.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

30-40 seems about right... I'm not sure he will ever have that level of defensive play or physicality to his game to be on those players' levels. I think he will be a very good player.

I'm with cgf on a lot of Shvy. I worry less about his skating than cgf, but his offensive ceiling is very high. His pure talent and offensive IQ are very high. Now that he is over the next question is if his high-risk game will translate on smaller ice where the windows are smaller. I think it will, but to me, that is the hardest thing to evaluate consistently with Euros that transition over.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just curious, is Greer in your top five? Does anyone still have him top five?
Not anymore. I put that initial list up there based on the final rankings from the year before. Jost, Compher, and Bigras were all top 5 prospects who are graduated/gone, so I pulled from the rest of the prospects that were left and extrapolated who I felt would go high.

Personally, I have Kamenev over Bowers. He's put up very impressive numbers in a better league than Bowers. I see Bowers as having a similar middle six ceiling, but Kamenev has proved more thus far. He's only played 5 NHL games and there is a ton of room for him to improve on what we saw last year when he was recovering from a serious injury.

I still like Greer and felt like he was misused last year by Bednar, but he slips both because of the addition of guys like Kamenev and Bowers and the fact that he seems to have progressed as far as he can in the AHL. He needs NHL time but with the addition of Calvert and Kamenev it looks even less likely that he will get it next year, and even if he does Bednar seems to only like him as a goon.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Timmins almost made the team out of camp last year as 19 year old defender. Instead he went on to be voted the best defensive defender in the eastern conference in the OHL and elected MVP of team Canada in WJC. I like Kaut and Bowers too but for me Timmins is ahead.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Timmins.

Add Igor, whose name I'll never be able to spell or pronounce.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Whoa 2-4 are hard for me this year and if it is that hard at the top like this then that is a great thing for the Avs.

This is really close for me between Kaut, Timmins and Bowers. Nobody can discard what Timmins has done so far but I still have a very small doubt about his skating so for that reason I'm going with Kaut. I love everything about this guy and because he is also a scorer he gets my vote over Bowers. I'm gonna have even a harder time deciding between Timmins and Bowers in the next poll. I might end up having to flip a coin lol.

I also like Shvyrev a lot but I have him at 5 right now until he shows more at the next level.

Reactions: klozge and McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Timmins almost made the team out of camp last year as 19 year old defender. Instead he went on to be voted the best defensive defender in the eastern conference in the OHL and elected MVP of team Canada in WJC. I like Kaut and Bowers too but for me Timmins is ahead.

Chris Bigras almost made the team out of camp as a 19 year old before his concussion to...just saying. I like Timmins more than I did Woody and think he has a higher ceiling than Bigras did...Bigras also didn't have that great draft+1 year that Timms did...and although I've made some jokes about Timmins getting blown up before...to point out how he's going to have to learn to better protect himself during his sweeping dekes...he's nowhere near Bigras' level with that either.

So I don't want this to just seem like salty-Meloche-fanboy stuff trying to rain on the Timmins-parade, that's just not an argument I think is really that useful & worry that some folks are letting it set unrealistic expectations for themselves which could cause people to be disappointed when(if) Timmins doesn't crack the team out of camp.

Personally, I think he & Meloche are a coin flip, both have clear #2 ceilings with good potential on both ends of the ice, but I like that nastiness of Meloche a little more than I do Timmins puck-rushing advantage. But I get why Timmins is more exciting for some folks and why many are more dubious of Meloche's skill level than I am.

I just don't want people to turn on Timmins if he doesn't match their unrealistic expectations for him.
Whoa 2-4 are hard for me this year and if it is that hard at the top like this then that is a great thing for the Avs.

This is really close for me between Kaut, Timmins and Bowers. Nobody can discard what Timmins has done so far but I still have a very small doubt about his skating so for that reason I'm going with Kaut. I love everything about this guy and because he is also a scorer he gets my vote over Bowers. I'm gonna have even a harder time deciding between Timmins and Bowers in the next poll. I might end up having to flip a coin lol.

I also like Shvyrev a lot but I have him at 5 right now until he shows more at the next level.

With the progress his skating has made over the past 2 years, I'm not really worried about it anymore, like what happened with Meloche's skating. Now Timms just needs to learn to protect himself and develop his lower body until he's much stronger on his skates...cause that Bambi s*** is cute, but it'll get him killed in the AHL.

Reactions: McMetal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Chris Bigras almost made the team out of camp as a 19 year old before his concussion to...just saying. I like Timmins more than I did Woody and think he has a higher ceiling than Bigras did...Bigras also didn't have that great draft+1 year that Timms did...and although I've made some jokes about Timmins getting blown up before...to point out how he's going to have to learn to better protect himself during his sweeping dekes...he's nowhere near Bigras' level with that either.

So I don't want this to just seem like salty-Meloche-fanboy stuff trying to rain on the Timmins-parade, that's just not an argument I think is really that useful & worry that some folks are letting it set unrealistic expectations for themselves which could cause people to be disappointed when(if) Timmins doesn't crack the team out of camp.

Personally, I think he & Meloche are a coin flip, both have clear #2 ceilings with good potential on both ends of the ice, but I like that nastiness of Meloche a little more than I do Timmins puck-rushing advantage. But I get why Timmins is more exciting for some folks and why many are more dubious of Meloche's skill level than I am.

I just don't want people to turn on Timmins if he doesn't match their unrealistic expectations for him.

With the progress his skating has made over the past 2 years, I'm not really worried about it anymore, like what happened with Meloche's skating. Now Timms just needs to learn to protect himself and develop his lower body until he's much stronger on his skates...cause that Bambi s*** is cute, but it'll get him killed in the AHL.
Yeah I'm not really concerned about his skating but it is still there at the back of my mind. I'm pretty sure he will be ok but it was enough for me to go with Kaut first.

I really like Meloche as well. He is at #6 on my list and close to #5.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think I'm least high on Bowers of that Shvyryov / Meloche / Timmins / Bowers tier that I've got behind Makar & Kaut...as I regularly waffle between who I like most of that first trio...but I do think he has a higher skill level than Kamenev & Greer now. That shot is really sneaky good and his hands should be able to keep up on a scoring line with the likes of Jost & Kaut/Shvyryv.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
30-40 seems about right... I'm not sure he will ever have that level of defensive play or physicality to his game to be on those players' levels. I think he will be a very good player.

I'm with cgf on a lot of Shvy. I worry less about his skating than cgf, but his offensive ceiling is very high. His pure talent and offensive IQ are very high. Now that he is over the next question is if his high-risk game will translate on smaller ice where the windows are smaller. I think it will, but to me, that is the hardest thing to evaluate consistently with Euros that transition over.

What kind of offensive ceiling do you think Shyv has? Do you see him hitting 60+ points? Or more in the 40-50 points range?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kind of surprising myself with this change of thought here, but I'm going Bowers at #2. Maybe it's the recency bias of just reading the article about him on The Athletic but the rave he gets from Hepple, Makar, and others about not only his work ethic, but especially the skill and strength that comes along with that work ethic... I think there's a chance we have ourselves a really talented, strong, two-way center that will fit perfectly as the 2C behind Mackinnon.

I was set on Timmins for this spot but I'm a changed man. Bowers for me.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Tough choices, but a good problem.

This should have been an easy choice with Timmins after a tremendous season and WJC tourney. His frequent injuries and lingering concussions has lowered my outlook.

Kaut, Kamenev and Bowers are all strong prospects.

Kaut would have been my choice, but know little about him. Kamenev had an outstanding AHL career and seem to have the statistical evidence. Bowers played on a strong college team. I compared with LW-Tkachuk (drafted 5th OA) a 1st line player that he outscored, while playing 2C.

Bowers is known to have a deceptive shop and already strong defensively, but improving offensive skills and expected to become the 1C; he would be the next best player.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think I'm least high on Bowers of that Shvyryov / Meloche / Timmins / Bowers tier that I've got behind Makar & Kaut...as I regularly waffle between who I like most of that first trio...but I do think he has a higher skill level than Kamenev & Greer now. That shot is really sneaky good and his hands should be able to keep up on a scoring line with the likes of Jost & Kaut/Shvyryv.

I go:

Makar
Kaut
Bowers
Timmins
Meloche
Shvyrev
Kamenev
Ranta
Greer
Annunen/Weiss

My top 10.

Lewis, Beaudin, Nantel, Morrison, Smirnov, Anderson, Geertsen... I don’t rate these guys. Henry a long shot. Don’t know enough about Dickinson and the late round guys we drafted this year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Think my Top 10 right now is:

Makar
Bowers
Kaut
Timmins

A very, very clear Top 4 for me and also an extremely impressive Top 4. Timmins falls from my last personal Top 10 because the news of his concussion really is concerning to me, enough that Bowers and Kaut jump just ahead(Although it's very close between all 3 still).

Kamenev
Meloche
Shvyryov
Greer
Weiss
Zhuravlyov

One thing that's clear, our prospect pool this summer is the deepest it has been in years, possibly even a decade. That's my Top 10 and it still doesn't include the likes of Rampa, Annunen, Morrison, Lewis, Kovalenko... It's a deep prospect pool.

And next summer I dont think we'll lose a single one of those guys, while adding 2 more 1st round picks(One potentially Top 5), and 3 more picks in the first 3 rounds.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I voted Kam pretty much due to him being nhl ready and 2C potential. Timmins concussion scares me atm. I see most have Bowers above Kamenev, are they similar players with Bowers having the higher offensive upside and drive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad