Post-Game Talk: Hey Refs nice work Jets lose 3-2 in ot

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Just watched the replay of the 'penalty' about 15 times. Basically Pavelski hooks Josh around the body and stick on initial contact. Then the sticks come apart completely. He then lifts his stick up into Josh's armpit for about 0.1 seconds while Josh is turning to his right looking for the puck. There is no clamping down. Horseshit terrible call.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Need proof of refs helping sunbelt teams win?

giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game audio:

Players: Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers & Morrissey.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: Disappointment not getting the second point but good road point. What did he like about the 3rd period? Does he have a comment on the OT penalty against Josh Morrissey? The unsportsmanlike penalty against Scheifele. The belief this team has in their ability to comeback. Did special teams turn the tide? Line blending in the 3rd. Not panicking when down a goal. Further reflection on the OT penalty. Home record vs Road record.

To listen click here.

Last edited:

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Just watched the replay of the 'penalty' about 15 times. Basically Pavelski hooks Josh around the body and stick on initial contact. Then the sticks come apart completely. He then lifts his stick up into Josh's armpit for about 0.1 seconds while Josh is turning to his right looking for the puck. There is no clamping down. Horse**** terrible call.
Ya, Pavelski should have got it.
The positive spin: We dominated them in the 3rd.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Just a couple of looks at the Morrissey O/T penalty, the last one in slo-mo. It does look like Morrissey grabbed the stick but just for a second and it ended up not making a difference in the play. There is many times a hook, a stick hold or interference or whatever is allowed to happen for several seconds that go uncalled. It seems, to me, the Ref reacted immediately and I suppose that's his right, but a play like this doesn't seem to within the spirit of the rules. Having said that, we got away with one in the last game when Ehlers hooked a guy down in their own zone towards the end of the game. So technically a penalty but a chintzy one. We get them called in our favour as well and neither are right.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Stars played a much better game tonight as expected. Jets grab 3 of 4 points from them in a back to back games, pretty nice. Refs didn't do the Jets any favours tonight, couple questionable calls and one blatantly missed call.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That was a good 3rd period by the Jets. Battled back for a hard earned point. Never quit attitude comes from the coach, the captain, the goalie, all the way down.

I thought Dallas played well. But we responded well. Hellebuyck was huge. 3 lines created chances. And that 6-5 was beautiful.

We gave up one goal where Bitetto took himself out of the shooting lane, and two 4 on 3's. Beaulieu had some struggles tonight. Especially on the 1st goal. But you expect a bit of rust. He got better during the game.

Liked the top line effort.

Really liked Sbisa-Pionk tonight. Sbisa was strong, can't say enough about a waiver pickup who is playing top 4 minutes, especially when you see him outplaying similar players on the other side.

I liked the way the Jets created seams. I liked the way they put an extra emphasis on hitting Heiskanen when we had the puck. Liked the way Morrissey-Poolman played together. Beaulieu-Bitetto was a struggle and neither were particularly comfortable on their offside. That's where we miss Sbisa, but he at least is stepping up for Kulikov.
I am not sure if Dahlstrom wouldn't be better than Bitetto.

4th line is still a struggle. Gustafsson started weak this game. Shaw made a nice defensive play, good PK, but the offense is negligible. I think Shore and Apples replacing those 2 would change the pace of the 4th line, to one that gets on more pucks. But that's another day.

PP still needs more movement.

Still I really like this team's confidence early in the year.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
An interesting play from tonights game. When it happened I was sure that Laine was gonna clap bomb that sucker. At first I thought Laine might have thought that the saucer pass from Wheeler was to high (it was pretty high for a saucer pass) but it looks to land flat at Laine's stick. Looking at it closer the pass was too far towards Laine's back skate. Not blaming either player, Wheeler could have made a more accurate pass and Laine could have positioned himself better for the pass.
It would have been a highlight play to have Laine one time a pass that just barely, if at all, touched the ice. This is slowed down 50%
mNj4iL2.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
All the things everyone else had said.
We badly need help for the 4th line.
It must be frustrating to know that almost every shift they are going to get caved in and give up multiple chances.
On top of that knowing 99.9% of the time they won't get a goal for makes playing them a lose lose situation.

I will give Shaw credit for a great back check tonight but I can't wait until we have different players out there.

Reactions: Huffer and Jets 31

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I have never seen such a mickey mouse call in an overtime. That would barely be a penalty in pre-season hockey.

Agree! Especially after all the non calls on both teams in the last 10 mins of the 3rd period. It was a penalty but after many much worst non calls in the 3rd this should not have been called. Refs, be consistent, either call everything or don't but don't change the way you have been calling a game in OT after 3 periods of non calls.

Last edited:

julkki

Oct 27, 2015
An interesting play from tonights game. When it happened I was sure that Laine was gonna clap bomb that sucker. At first I thought Laine might have thought that the saucer pass from Wheeler was to high (it was pretty high for a saucer pass) but it looks to land flat at Laine's stick. Looking at it closer the pass was too far towards Laine's back skate. Not blaming either player, Wheeler could have made a more accurate pass and Laine could have positioned himself better for the pass.
It would have been a highlight play to have Laine one time a pass that just barely, if at all, touched the ice. This is slowed down 50%
mNj4iL2.gif

Clearly a little confidence boost would help Laine. In his rookie year, he just would have settled the puck and ripped his holy wrister..

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I expected the Jets to lose tonight so I am happy with the point all things considered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad