Post-Game Talk: Hey Refs nice work Jets lose 3-2 in ot

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
This will be small consolation to you, but each referee receives an evaluation from the league on every game that they officiate. While the central office doesn't "bring this game up and ask him", they do provide notes which address penalties which were called and which were missed. In addition to providing feedback to improve the officiating and trying to achieve a consistency across the league, these evaluations also figure into determining promotions, continued employment, and who gets to officiate in the playoffs. And yes, the refs are paid a special premium for each playoff game they work.
I always wear a Tin Foil hat so I’m good... but my buddies who don’t wear one have this conspiracy theory that refs who give a bump to Southern Market teams get uncharted points and get to Ref in the Playoffs.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
When you yell "gosh darn ref that wasn't a penalty" or "ref that call sucks" or "ref you suck" , that's not really complaining that's comedy . :laugh: If i was a ref and a player said those words to me i would giggle my ass off and say with a laugh , get outa here you goofy kid but i sure wouldn't give him a penalty . :laugh:

I'm not talking about what was said. I'm talking about the frequency. Every penalty his is arguing with the ref and at least once or twice a game he is yelling at the ref over a missed call. I don't care if he's yelling "gee willikers batman that is a bad call" eventually the refs will get tired of it.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
He
The reffing last night was bad, no doubt. However, I have not seen anyone since Kane who complains to the refs as much as Scheifele. I'm actually surprised he hasn't gotten penalties in the past.
He probably knows the rules better then the refs.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I always wear a Tin Foil hat so I’m good... but my buddies who don’t wear one have this conspiracy theory that refs who give a bump to Southern Market teams get uncharted points and get to Ref in the Playoffs.

Maybe one of Canada's national sports networks should talk about the non-call and show a few clips of it to their national audience, only way the NHL will clue in to bad reffing is through bad publicity!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If the Jets had exerted the same effort in the 1st period that was shown in the 2nd and 3rd, the officiating wouldn't have decided the outcome.

Getting the OT point is okay, I suppose, but three periods of effort would've probably resulted in a clean win instead.

great to see you posting Darth!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If the Jets had exerted the same effort in the 1st period that was shown in the 2nd and 3rd, the officiating wouldn't have decided the outcome.

Getting the OT point is okay, I suppose, but three periods of effort would've probably resulted in a clean win instead.
It's unrealistic to expect the Jets to match the desperation of a good team who lost 4 in a row, playing at home, who were embarrassed by the Jets in the previous game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This will be small consolation to you, but each referee receives an evaluation from the league on every game that they officiate. While the central office doesn't "bring this game up and ask him", they do provide notes which address penalties which were called and which were missed. In addition to providing feedback to improve the officiating and trying to achieve a consistency across the league, these evaluations also figure into determining promotions, continued employment, and who gets to officiate in the playoffs. And yes, the refs are paid a special premium for each playoff game they work.

Yet, officiating never improves. As a matter of fact, it's more inconsistent and bewildering than ever.

Maybe the NHL should change their model?

Reactions: KingBogo

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yet, officiating never improves. As a matter of fact, it's more inconsistent and bewildering than ever.

Maybe going back to 1 ref instead of 2 is the answer . Plus one less person on the ice to get in the way of the play .

Reactions: Jet

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This is an interesting suggestion Jet. Were you thinking going back to a single ref to better control a game or is there more to it?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I would disagree. I think officiating has improved tremendously since the 1980s. I'd also argue that it has continued to improve slowly over the last decade.

Okay, I'm a stupid old herbivore walking slowly around the taiga, following the amazing Mrs. Moose around, so I can't produce advanced statistics, fancy charts with bright colours, and dazzling mathematics. But I did see a lot of games as a young moose and it was always understood that the ref would miss some calls and would make some incorrectly. (Even on the old, low-def square video archival footage, the blown calls are obvious.) Everyone accepted that.

Having the ref make mistakes back then was akin to today's response to a ref or linesman not getting out of the way of the puck in time: a part of the game. We grumbled about it but we understood on some level (the same level that you know which bark and shrubs and twigs are most delicious) that it would all even out over time. Nobody used to claim it was a conspiracy and that the refs were out to screw over a particular team or boost a particular market.

Except Montreal, of course. Everyone knew the refs were toughest on the Canadiens. Even the retired refs now admit it.

Reactions: DarthMonty

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is an interesting suggestion Jet. Were you thinking going back to a single ref to better control a game or is there more to it?
I think this would be a step in the right direction. Having 2 guys, they probably influence each others decisions. A junior ref might defer to a senior ref.

Having one guy would ensure that it's his decision alone and would create total accountability. Besides, with video review, etc. two refs are less necessary than ever.

Also, where the f*** are the female referees? It's time the NHL got with the times - I am sure there are some really great women refs that would be far better than some of the crap we are seeing.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would disagree. I think officiating has improved tremendously since the 1980s. I'd also argue that it has continued to improve slowly over the last decade.

Okay, I'm a stupid old herbivore walking slowly around the taiga, following the amazing Mrs. Moose around, so I can't produce advanced statistics, fancy charts with bright colours, and dazzling mathematics. But I did see a lot of games as a young moose and it was always understood that the ref would miss some calls and would make some incorrectly. (Even on the old, low-def square video archival footage, the blown calls are obvious.) Everyone accepted that.

Having the ref make mistakes back then was akin to today's response to a ref or linesman not getting out of the way of the puck in time: a part of the game. We grumbled about it but we understood on some level (the same level that you know which bark and shrubs and twigs are most delicious) that it would all even out over time. Nobody used to claim it was a conspiracy and that the refs were out to screw over a particular team or boost a particular market.

Except Montreal, of course. Everyone knew the refs were toughest on the Canadiens. Even the retired refs now admit it.
Me thinks someone used to be a ref at some level at some time . :laugh:

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Also, where the **** are the female referees? It's time the NHL got with the times - I am sure there are some really great women refs that would be far better than some of the crap we are seeing.
It's in process... albeit without a timeline...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-female-referees-prospect-games-1.5273675
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman previously said he envisions a woman officiating at the league level, without providing a timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad