Hextall's moves

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Top players sucked in the playoffs that's forsure. Lots of players play hurt like Bergeron with a ****ed up lung and broken ribs and did way more then any of our top players. New year so let's hope for the best.

Bergeron was sitting at home during the playoffs because his team **** the bed the last few games during the season. :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Manning was given tons of OZ starts and easy competition, and got to play with our best possession dman most of the season, and still managed to contribute almost nothing offensively. MacDonald played in half as many games and still outscored him.

The narrative that Manning makes safe & simple plays and was sound defensively is totally false. I lost count of the number of times he made bad pinches leading to scoring chances for the other team, or his slow thinking and lack of NHL-quality puck skills lead to extra zone time for the other team. The Flyers hemorrhaged shots against when he was on the ice.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...750&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=A60&sortdir=DESC

Take Manning away from Gudas and his possession stats are nightmarish: 60.2% OZ starts, 46.6 CF%.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Manning does not make simple plays. He doesn't do anything reliably. If anything, he's overly aggressive for what his skills can generate at this level.

He's a dime a dozen replacement level defenseman. I just don't think he's the worst player they've iced in the past few years....or 20, as some seem to think.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Manning was given tons of OZ starts and easy competition, and got to play with our best possession dman most of the season, and still managed to contribute almost nothing offensively. MacDonald played in half as many games and still outscored him.

The narrative that Manning makes safe & simple plays and was sound defensively is totally false. I lost count of the number of times he made bad pinches leading to scoring chances for the other team, or his slow thinking and lack of NHL-quality puck skills lead to extra zone time for the other team. The Flyers hemorrhaged shots against when he was on the ice.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...750&teamid=0&type=shots&sort=A60&sortdir=DESC

Take Manning away from Gudas and his possession stats are nightmarish: 60.2% OZ starts, 46.6 CF%.

Of course it is.

Boxcars repeated that idiotic line so many times, and then there's also the handful of contrarians who like saying stupid ****, that some people have forgotten how bad he was. This happens every offseason, we're too far away from having seen a live game so we forget how horrible some players are. It happened last year with Lecavalier too. He plays like trash all season, 99% of people hate him, and then in the offseason people forget and atart saying that he wasn't that bad or that he deserves one more chance or whatever else.

Manning is easily the worst defensemen on the roster. Simple as that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And let's guarantee a Cup by trading Giroux to Montreal for Shaw since Shaw is a "championship player".

We can retain $4m ($2m for each of Shaw's rings) to make sure the Canadiens accept taking a loser like Giroux for a winner like Shaw.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Just showing the irony in your post. It's a team sport not an individual one.

Yeah, it's bizarre the way some people will treat hockey players like they play tennis. As great as Bergeron has been, he only has a Cup because his goalie played out his mind that particular season.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Haha thats because he/she is harmless and doesnt post **** daily that gets under everyones skin

I don't know about that. Some of the lineups/trades hurt my soul, so not completely harmless. :laugh:

Pretty sure that's the only person I have blocked on the entire website. It's just like a spam bot to me. Even the people on here who I argue with remain unblocked for ***** and gigs.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
What are people's views on Hextall's plan of patience with regard to the Flyers current offensive core, which will be long in the tooth by the time any of these D prospects become of age. I worry G, Jake, & Simmonds prime years will be approaching rear view mirror territory once the young D-men actually get NHL experience and can (hopefully) blossom into reliable heavy minute eaters. Defensemen take the longest to develop mind you.

Would hate to become a Minnesota light with little to no offense and having to purchase forwards in the summer.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
What are people's views on Hextall's plan of patience with regard to the Flyers current offensive core, which will be long in the tooth by the time any of these D prospects become of age. I worry G, Jake, & Simmonds prime years will be approaching rear view mirror territory once the young D-men actually get NHL experience and can (hopefully) blossom into reliable heavy minute eaters. Defensemen take the longest to develop mind you.

Would hate to become a Minnesota light with little to no offense and having to purchase forwards in the summer.

There are still a few drafts left before we have to worry about Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek regressing. By that time Giroux will likely still be a great 2C anyway.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

I trust him. It's as simple as that really. Only GM I've ever lived with us having that I've actually fully trusted either. I'm hard-pressed to find many GM's in the league I'd trust as much as Hextall right now honestly.

Our forward prospect group isn't as desperate as people make it out to be anymore. Rubstov, Konecny, Laberge, NAK, and Lindblom all have relatively good top six potential even if only one or two of them have high level scoring potential. Then a glut of guys who could make good bottom or middle six talent in Leier, Fazleev, and an assortment of names you might as well pick out of a hat at this point. Giroux doesn't play a speed or goal-scoring centric game so, short of his body falling apart, I doubt he'll age badly. Couturier and Schenn are both relatively young still.

We can always trade other assets at D, G, or draft picks to add at F. Regardless of it all, I trust Hextall. It's the biggest concern for our team right now, the aging of our forward group not meshing well with the rest of our organization, but it's not a thing I'm afraid of with our GM. If it were Homer, yeah I'd probably be afraid.

Chicken Chaser

Zaphod Beeblebrox
Mar 21, 2009
St. James's Gate
There are still a few drafts left before we have to worry about Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek regressing. By that time Giroux will likely still be a great 2C anyway.

I agree, time to stock the offensive side of the pantry and a lot of offense in the NHL is a young man's game, but it's tough getting blue chippers while being a low end play-off team. Can't always expect to land a Giroux, or even M. Richards type player drafting in the bottom half every year. Hell, even #2 overall picks don't always pan out 'eh? :shakehead

I trust him. It's as simple as that really. Only GM I've ever lived with us having that I've actually fully trusted either. I'm hard-pressed to find many GM's in the league I'd trust as much as Hextall right now honestly.

Our forward prospect group isn't as desperate as people make it out to be anymore. Rubstov, Konecny, Laberge, NAK, and Lindblom all have relatively good top six potential even if only one or two of them have high level scoring potential. Then a glut of guys who could make good bottom or middle six talent in Leier, Fazleev, and an assortment of names you might as well pick out of a hat at this point. Giroux doesn't play a speed or goal-scoring centric game so, short of his body falling apart, I doubt he'll age badly. Couturier and Schenn are both relatively young still.

We can always trade other assets at D, G, or draft picks to add at F. Regardless of it all, I trust Hextall. It's the biggest concern for our team right now, the aging of our forward group not meshing well with the rest of our organization, but it's not a thing I'm afraid of with our GM. If it were Homer, yeah I'd probably be afraid.

Hextall hasn't been up against much pressure or pushback yet as the Flyers GM. He clearly made his case to run things his way and patience is at the center of his argument, and I agree with it; for now. I am curious to see how he acts in a few seasons if things aren't panning out, when he has increasing pressure on him to produce a deep playoff running type of team.

Right now everything looks peachy because there's so much potential, however I think it would be prudent to believe that not all of these fancy shiny looking D prospects will pan out. Because that's all they are at this point. I do look forward to seeing how he acts or reacts to some adversity and having a microscope put on the decisions he has to make.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The trajectory for a #1 defensemen in the NHL is often overstated. It typically doesn't take that long for these guys to establish themselves as a #1 if they do indeed do so. Most guys of that caliber often establish themselves as such at ages 21/22.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad