Hextall's moves

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Someone asked for a list of Hextall's moves and since I had a bunch of it done, I figured I would update it and post.

If anyone has anything to add, let me know and I will do. Also, if anyone has any comments that make sense to have beside the moves, I will add those as well(awards, etc).

Since Hextall took over:
Year 1&2
Traded Hartnell for Umberger+4th(Wagner flipped for Vorobvov+Salintri)=short term pain, for long term flexibility to re-sign core players
Traded McGinn for a 3rd(Sandstrom)...traded a 4th line tweener who got waived by SJ months later
Signed MDZ for free=had a very good year
Signed Schultz for free=had a very good year
Signed White for free=had a good year
Signed Bellemare for free=had a good year
Signed VDV for free=had a good year
Traded Coburn for 1st, 3rd(Tomek) + Gudas=Got Konecky by moving up+ Gudas has been great.
Traded Timonen for 2 2nd rounders=fantastic value, used 1 pick to move up for Konecny, the other for Allison
Signed Danick Martel for free=QMJHL 2nd leading scorer...worth a shot
Traded Rinaldo for 3rd 2017 = another great value trade
Traded Grossmann + Pronger for Gagner + 4th(traded to NYI for 4th in 2017)
Signed Medvedev=a good KHL player for free…didn't work out
Signed Neuvirth for free=shored up the backup G situation for the next 2 years
Fired Berube…Flyers fans rejoice
Hired a College coach who is used to coaching 18-24 year olds in Hakstol
Signed Marti for free…didn't work out
Signed Bardreau for free
Signed undrafted 6'5 RHD Philip Myers for free…QMJHL All Star 2016
Traded Vinny and LSchenn for Weal + 3rd(Twarynski)
Got us into the playoffs 2016
Signed top College FA G Lyon for free
Added Goalie Coach Kim Dillabaugh
Added Goalie Development Coach Brady Robinson
Added AHL coach Scott Gordon who has NHL experience

Oversaw 2 drafts and had these 7 guys at the WJC this year(2015/16):
Provorov: named CHL Dman of the year
Sanheim: highest PPG in the WHL in 20 years for a Dman
Konecny: greast draft+1 season
Lindblom: highest scoring U20 in SHL
Fazleev: over PPG in WHL
Sandstrom: youngest split starter in SHL
Kase: Over PPG in MHL

Plus drafted:
Aube Kubel: over PPG in QMJHL
Friedman: WCHA All Star Dman
Tomek: injured all season
Dove McFalls: dealt with injuries
Vorobyov: expected to be top 6 C at WJC
Marody: great rookie season in college
Fedotov: long term G prospect
Pettersson: played in AHL

Year 3
Drafted in 2016:
Rubstov: expected to be top 6 C in WJC
Laberge: CHL All Star Game MVP
Hart: CHL goalie of the Year
Allison: USHL Playoff MVP
Twarynski:
Bunnaman:
Hogberg:
Laczynski:
Salinitri:
Bernhardt:

Signed Weise for free
Signed Gordon for Free
Added Huffman to handle the D in AHL
Signed talented AHL players in Brennan, O'Neill, and Miele

And while he is rebuilding this team he is not trying to tank like the oilers and pens did. Now we can see why he is already in the top 10 of GM's in the league and moving up. My thanks goes out to Ed Snider(RIP) who left this great franchise in good hands.

PS: Thanks for your hard work Tripod:clap:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
so far so good. but Hextall is still missing that one big blockbuster of a deal that would put him up among the top GM's. we haven't quite been in that position yet for him to make that move, but it's coming. that will be the true test. it's not that hard for a GM to just sell players and acquire picks and prospects. granted Hextall has done very well with that, but the true test will be when he starts making blockbuster trades. at some point, one of our big D prospects will get traded, so it's going to be very interesting to see how he does in that regard.

PensBrony 6 9*

He's done a lot of good things but letting schenn go to arbitration was a big mistake that he's not getting much heat over

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind
so far so good. but Hextall is still missing that one big blockbuster of a deal that would put him up among the top GM's. we haven't quite been in that position yet for him to make that move, but it's coming. that will be the true test. it's not that hard for a GM to just sell players and acquire picks and prospects. granted Hextall has done very well with that, but the true test will be when he starts making blockbuster trades. at some point, one of our big D prospects will get traded, so it's going to be very interesting to see how he does in that regard.

Why does he need to make a blockbuster trade to be considered a top GM?

"It's not hard for a GM to just sell players and acquire picks and prospects"--umm wtf am I reading lol? :help:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Why does he need to make a blockbuster trade to be considered a "top GM"?

"It's not hard for a GM to just sell players and acquire picks and prospects"--umm wtf am I reading lol? :help:

it is a lot easier to be a seller than a buyer. Hextall himself has said this. he mentioned in this most recent draft how it was easier for him to get the guys they wanted because they had so many picks in the draft. it is a lot harder to make challenging trades (trading away a top prospect or making a big one for one deal) than it is to just sell off a 3rd or 4th liner for the best return. do you understand that? if you don't then I can't help you. :shakehead

at some point in the next 2-3 years, Hextall will be in buyer mode. it's highly unlikely that all our D prospects end up in our top 6 in 2-3 years. 1 or 2 will likely get moved for help up front. so it'll be really interesting to see what he'll do.

PensBrony 6 9*

Why exactly was it a mistake?

How isn't it? Literally the only benefit is that they'll likely get him at a discount this year. They're still going to end up paying him next year if they want to keep him, and likely paying him more money than he asked for this time around. It puts the ball in his court. He could very well go to arbitration again and then test free agency after that, where he's BOUND to get paid. The flyers get nothing in return in that situation. The same thing is playing out in Ottawa with Hoffman. Even if schenn's numbers drop this year, you really think he's going to ask for less when he's a year closer to ufa status? And that's not even considering a scenario where the arbitrator leans closer to his number than the flyers'

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks for putting together the list. Hextall's work here has been incredible to date.
My only 2 gripes with him so far have been Voracek's contract and his terrible handling of Laughton over the last couple of years. Small-ish prices to pay, however, for the rest of his work.

The thing about Voracek's contract was that he was the 10th highest scoring forward over his previous 3 seasons and the contract he received made him the 10th highest paid forward at that time. There was nothing wrong with the contract. The issue was Voracek's performance following signing. Considering he is now entering year 1 of the contract, let's just wait and see how it plays out. If he bounces back to even a 70 point player, as opposed to the 80 he produced before signing, then he is worth it.

Also, I don't see how Laughton has been handled terribly. He hasn't played well enough to warrant more of an opportunity and when he has gotten on a role, he has gotten injured.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not..

The true test of a GM is building a team capable of long-term success. It has nothing to do with "making blockbuster trades." Sometimes a blockbuster trade can help contribute to that, but it's certainly not a stipulation for being considered a great GM.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not..

The true test of a GM is building a team capable of long-term success. It has nothing to do with "making blockbuster trades." Sometimes a blockbuster trade can help contribute to that, but it's certainly not a stipulation for being considered a great GM.

I agree. I wasn't saying that it was the only thing he had to do. it's many things, and he's only halfway there. i'm just giving a little push back at all these people anointing Hextall as this brilliant top GM when we haven't won a damn thing yet. has he done a good job thus far? absolutely. no question about it. but some people need to relax a little. there's still a ways to go before this team is a major contender. and many, more important and challenging moves will need to be made then.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree. I wasn't saying that it was the only thing he had to do. it's many things, and he's only halfway there. i'm just giving a little push back at all these people anointing Hextall as this brilliant top GM when we haven't won a damn thing yet. has he done a good job thus far? absolutely. no question about it. but some people need to relax a little. there's still a ways to go before this team is a major contender. and many, more important and challenging moves will need to be made then.

That's fair.

I am interested to see how he does in trades once we become deadline buyers. We haven't seen that yet.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Also, I don't see how Laughton has been handled terribly. He hasn't played well enough to warrant more of an opportunity and when he has gotten on a role, he has gotten injured.
His argument was that Laughton was perhaps being given too much of an opportunity.

Many posters here continually proclaim their support for Hextall's message that "you cannot be too patient with a prospect", yet Laughton's handling seems to clearly show that Hextall is not quite as fastidious with his prospect-rearing philosophy as their arguments would have you believe.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree that it's easier to be a buyer than a seller, but you can still be a bad seller. Luckily for us, Hextall has gotten great value on most of his trades.

And that is what is encouraging going forward when he DOES become a buyer. I fully expect he will make 1/2 trades that few expect and add a good, experienced D and also a good forward. Would not shock me if a C is added for 2-3 years as a stopgap to Rubstov.

But by stockpiling so many prospects, when that time comes, he has the ammo to go after who he wants. I expect him to wait until after expansion and see how that plays out and next summer a big move is made to jump speed up the rebuild.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
The thing about Voracek's contract was that he was the 10th highest scoring forward over his previous 3 seasons and the contract he received made him the 10th highest paid forward at that time. There was nothing wrong with the contract. The issue was Voracek's performance following signing. Considering he is now entering year 1 of the contract, let's just wait and see how it plays out. If he bounces back to even a 70 point player, as opposed to the 80 he produced before signing, then he is worth it.

I definitely understand the angle that he was the 10th highest point scorer over that timespan. My issue with it is that, compared to the majority of these other similarly high paid players, Voracek is relatively one-dimensional. For the most part, the others provide some sort of notably high level of 2-way play and responsibility, or they're players who are considered reliable/elite goal scorers. Voraceks shown that hes largely a perimeter player/passer, which I just don't personally agree puts him into that highest tier of salary with the rest. This isn't to say I don't highly value what he brings, again its just my opinion that what he brings isn't 8.25m worth. While 22ish goals on average is nice, I'm certain a stationary revolving door could put that many over the line with as much time as he spends across from the best pure powerplay passer in the league in Giroux (another persona opinion). I have no issue with anyone feeling otherwise.

On Laughton, I just thought it was an extremely poor decision to bring him back for 4 games to get beat up and demoted. He should have had some AHL conditioning to regain himself, considering he hadn't established himself in the lineup even previous to the concussion. To me, it feels like Hextall realized he made a mistake and decided then to demote him to where he needed to be to recover as an unestablished young player. Great that it only took him 4 games to realize Laughton needed to be sent back, but the confidence hammer had already occurred at that point and that's considerably on his shoulders. If the right decision was to bring Laughton back, Hexy wouldn't have changed his angle on that in 4 games, but he did, because it was a mistake to begin with.

Again, just my own perspectives. Other than that I have little to nothing in terms of criticism on Hexy's moves so far.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
^

Jake is a very high end 3 zone forward. Not in the traditional block shots, shutdown defense sense but in a puck possession sense. He's truly in a class of his own at zone exits and entries. Granted, he's no Selke level guy, but Jake is not remotely close to a one dimensional player. Even defensively, he's better than he often gets credit for. In fact, I bet if you did the radical thing of using your actual best players on the PK instead of plugs, Jake would be a terrific PKing forward.

Last edited:

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I agree that it's easier to be a buyer than a seller, but you can still be a bad seller. Luckily for us, Hextall has gotten great value on most of his trades.

And that is what is encouraging going forward when he DOES become a buyer. I fully expect he will make 1/2 trades that few expect and add a good, experienced D and also a good forward. Would not shock me if a C is added for 2-3 years as a stopgap to Rubstov.

But by stockpiling so many prospects, when that time comes, he has the ammo to go after who he wants. I expect him to wait until after expansion and see how that plays out and next summer a big move is made to jump speed up the rebuild.

Benning and Snow come to mind.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I definitely understand the angle that he was the 10th highest point scorer over that timespan. My issue with it is that, compared to the majority of these other similarly high paid players, Voracek is relatively one-dimensional. For the most part, the others provide some sort of notably high level of 2-way play and responsibility, or they're players who are considered reliable/elite goal scorers. Voraceks shown that hes largely a perimeter player/passer, which I just don't personally agree puts him into that highest tier of salary with the rest. This isn't to say I don't highly value what he brings, again its just my opinion that what he brings isn't 8.25m worth. While 22ish goals on average is nice, I'm certain a stationary revolving door could put that many over the line with as much time as he spends across from the best pure powerplay passer in the league in Giroux (another persona opinion). I have no issue with anyone feeling otherwise.

On Laughton, I just thought it was an extremely poor decision to bring him back for 4 games to get beat up and demoted. He should have had some AHL conditioning to regain himself, considering he hadn't established himself in the lineup even previous to the concussion. To me, it feels like Hextall realized he made a mistake and decided then to demote him to where he needed to be to recover as an unestablished young player. Great that it only took him 4 games to realize Laughton needed to be sent back, but the confidence hammer had already occurred at that point and that's considerably on his shoulders. If the right decision was to bring Laughton back, Hexy wouldn't have changed his angle on that in 4 games, but he did, because it was a mistake to begin with.

Again, just my own perspectives. Other than that I have little to nothing in terms of criticism on Hexy's moves so far.

I have to disagree with you there.

Jake is not one-dimensional. He works about as hard in all three zones as any top 6 winger in the league. Looking at the other RW's getting paid in his price range...

-Kane
-Perry
-Kessel
-Tarasenko

...and none of them are as good in all three zones as Jake

To be honest, I was hoping he would get paid in the $7.5 range but i'm not going to make a big deal over the extra $750K considering he was coming off of a season where he was voted as an NHL First Team All-Star..in other words, he was the best RW in the NHL in 2014-2015.

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
How isn't it? Literally the only benefit is that they'll likely get him at a discount this year. They're still going to end up paying him next year if they want to keep him, and likely paying him more money than he asked for this time around. It puts the ball in his court. He could very well go to arbitration again and then test free agency after that, where he's BOUND to get paid. The flyers get nothing in return in that situation. The same thing is playing out in Ottawa with Hoffman. Even if schenn's numbers drop this year, you really think he's going to ask for less when he's a year closer to ufa status? And that's not even considering a scenario where the arbitrator leans closer to his number than the flyers'

I'm afraid he's right.

PensBrony 6 9*

Not necessarily. We just watched Stamkos sign for the exact amount that was offered to him months ago and he was days away from signing for more elsewhere is he so wanted.

First of all, there could be other reasons for that (tax, for instance), but even considering that, it still gives Schenn all the power in the negotiations. All he has to do now is ride out the 1 or 2 year deal he gets out of this, go to arbitration until the flyers lose his rights, and then he gets paid either way. Even if the Flyers just sign him long term after that, he's still going to get more money than he would have this time around assuming his production stays relatively similar over that span.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad