Hextall's moves

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
First of all, there could be other reasons for that (tax, for instance), but even considering that, it still gives Schenn all the power in the negotiations. All he has to do now is ride out the 1 or 2 year deal he gets out of this, go to arbitration until the flyers lose his rights, and then he gets paid either way. Even if the Flyers just sign him long term after that, he's still going to get more money than he would have this time around assuming his production stays relatively similar over that span.

And what if the Arbitrator gives him a 4 million dollar deal and Philly chooses 1 year, and then Schenn has a bad year next year and gets 45 points. What then? Does he still get more that he would if he signs now? Who knows.

That's the whole point. No one knows how the bridge contracts turn out or if later contracts end up better or worse.

Funny though, if Schenn signed last summer for 5 million people in here would have been having fits. Now, people are praying for it.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Hextall's Mistake - Intentional ?

Its possible that Hextall is not sold on him as the long term solution at LW.
I am not sold on him being a top LW worthy of the a long term big money deal.
Hope I am wrong but expect his production to dip this year not increase.
Therefore, I am in favor of a bridge contract for Brayden Schenn.

Either he continues his progression to an elite LW or his production falters.
If he succeeds then he is deserving of top LW money and Hextall should pay the man.
If he fails to produce enough Hextall can still trade him for other assets.

PensBrony 6 9*

And what if the Arbitrator gives him a 4 million dollar deal and Philly chooses 1 year, and then Schenn has a bad year next year and gets 45 points. What then? Does he still get more that he would if he signs now? Who knows.

That's the whole point. No one knows how the bridge contracts turn out or if later contracts end up better or worse.

Funny though, if Schenn signed last summer for 5 million people in here would have been having fits. Now, people are praying for it.

Well he's going to be leaned on pretty heavily this year if they don't pick up a top 6 LW so I doubt his production will drop, but obviously that's the only situation in which it kind of makes sense to go to arbitration. To entertain your scenario though, where the team is worried about him not being the real deal, it's still a bad proposition. At that point, you're basically HOPING he does badly because if he doesn't, he's got you by the balls all of a sudden. If that's their mentality, they should just trade him now while he has what they consider inflated value rather than spending the season hoping for their current top left winger to lay an egg so they can save a million bucks in cap space. I actually don't think they should have signed him long term right now but if that's what he wanted, it's better for the flyers than this situation. A bridge contract would have been ideal; buy a year or two of UFA and see where he's at. Now they're gambling that he sucks next year basically. Either way, I still think he would get more money even if his numbers are down because the contract would cut farther into his UFA time. If I'm him/his agent and the Flyers didn't offer a contract reflecting that, I would just go to arbitration again and see what I'm really worth to the rest of the league after my RFA obligations are over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He already took the bridge deal guys. He is coming off the 2 year 2.5 million cost controlled, show me deal.

We don't know what Hextall is offering or what Schenn's agent is seeking. Maybe Hextall is offering 5.5 and Schenn agent wants more. Or maybe Hextall is offering 4.5 million and Schenn's agent wants 5.5. Who knows.

And remember, it's easy to say "Hextall should have signed him earlier to XXXX." But it takes 2 sides to get a deal done. Maybe Schenn asked for 5 million last year which would have been an overpayment based on the info we had. But here we are a year later, and that now looks good. But if he signed for 5 and he dropped down yo 45 points again, it looks bad all the sudden.

This is all speculation at this point. I will be interested to see what each side puts forth for their numbers.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I really doubt they get to the hearing. They'll duke it out, no one will blink and the deal will be done and fair.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its possible that Hextall is not sold on him as the long term solution at LW.
I am not sold on him being a top LW worthy of the a long term big money deal.
Hope I am wrong but expect his production to dip this year not increase.
Therefore, I am in favor of a bridge contract for Brayden Schenn.

Either he continues his progression to an elite LW or his production falters.
If he succeeds then he is deserving of top LW money and Hextall should pay the man.
If he fails to produce enough Hextall can still trade him for other assets.

Yeah he already took the bridge.

This is where we lock him through his early UFA years.

His GPG and PPG has increased every season to the point where last season.

His 59 points last season was the 12th most by a LW (I realize he spent some time at RW). His 26 goals were also 12th most by a LW

He will get paid and it will be a fair number between $5 and 5.5 million.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I thought this would be relatively slam dunk, but not only are both sides not agreeing, the fanbase really seems to be split too. I read that people just want him to get it done because he's a top 6 scoring winger now and they are hard to find, but then some people claim that it was down mostly over 4 months and his overall play hasn't really increased.

I really have no idea how this ends.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought this would be relatively slam dunk, but not only are both sides not agreeing, the fanbase really seems to be split too. I read that people just want him to get it done because he's a top 6 scoring winger now and they are hard to find, but then some people claim that it was down mostly over 4 months and his overall play hasn't really increased.

I really have no idea how this ends.

It ends with Schenn re-signing.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
And remember, it's easy to say "Hextall should have signed him earlier to XXXX." But it takes 2 sides to get a deal done.

This is all speculation at this point. I will be interested to see what each side puts forth for their numbers.

Exactly correct. Unless you've got inside information on what was offered by whom and when, you cant make any statement about a mistake being made.

And if you do have that information, please do share it with us and we will have a more informed discussion. :)

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
He already took the bridge deal guys. He is coming off the 2 year 2.5 million cost controlled, show me deal.

We don't know what Hextall is offering or what Schenn's agent is seeking. Maybe Hextall is offering 5.5 and Schenn agent wants more. Or maybe Hextall is offering 4.5 million and Schenn's agent wants 5.5. Who knows.

And remember, it's easy to say "Hextall should have signed him earlier to XXXX." But it takes 2 sides to get a deal done. Maybe Schenn asked for 5 million last year which would have been an overpayment based on the info we had. But here we are a year later, and that now looks good. But if he signed for 5 and he dropped down yo 45 points again, it looks bad all the sudden.

What I meant to convey was Hextall should offer Schenn a short term contract, like the bridge contract.
That will give Schenn a chance to show this years production is not his ceiling.
I do not favor a long term deal until he repeats this years production.

If Schenn is unwilling, I would trade him, hopefully getting another more established top 6 forward.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They're just going to go to arbitration if they can't get something done long term. The arbitratior will give a price tag & the Flyers will elect for a one year deal. Schenn would still be an RFA next summer so they won't lose him for nothing.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Don't forget about Manning's deal. Hexy and #23 need to try to hammer something out before August. I don't think it will end up going to arbitration. Manning has to be secured and locked up so he can put the contract negotiations behind him and get ready for a strong training camp.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The second Manning signs the team gets worse. Luckily it seems likely that even if the trash does stay on the roster, he won't be playing because there's enough healthy defensemen in front of him. Best case scenario is he goes to the ECHL where he belongs, I don't think he could even push any of the AHL defensemen out of their spots.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I like him so far, but to be honest, it's very early to judge a lot of the things he gets praise for (especially drafting). Most of his moves were good moves so far. I also like his 2016 FA signings : our PK was one of our main problems recently. Having it fixed really improves our team. They will also take some of Giroux's defensive responsabilities off, so he can focus more on his offensive game. Our team will be better next year with them. Still, I'll wait before calling him the best GM ever like some people do on here. He has yet to build a contender. I think he has a good plan and that our team will improve a lot in the near future. Will that be enough to build a true solid contender for years, though? We'll see.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I like him so far, but to be honest, it's very early to judge a lot of the things he gets praise for (especially drafting). Most of his moves were good moves so far. I also like his 2016 FA signings : our PK was one of our main problems recently. Having it fixed really improves our team. They will also take some of Giroux's defensive responsabilities off, so he can focus more on his offensive game. Our team will be better next year with them. Still, I'll wait before calling him the best GM ever like some people do on here. He has yet to build a contender. I think he has a good plan and that our team will improve a lot in the near future. Will that be enough to build a true solid contender for years, though? We'll see.

That's fair. At the end of the day it's too early to judge.

But different respected/educated guys evaluate the draftings of the NHL franchises and it should come as no surprise we always end up between the grades A - B.

Right now we're at #6 in the prospects poll and for me there are at least 5 more guys which I not only have a hard time to sort but also expect to become NHL regulars.

I remember times when we pooped out of joy talking about M. Ratchuk. The same guy who now plays for the Sheffield Steelers in the EIHL.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Don't forget about Manning's deal. Hexy and #23 need to try to hammer something out before August. I don't think it will end up going to arbitration. Manning has to be secured and locked up so he can put the contract negotiations behind him and get ready for a strong training camp.

Nobody gives a flying **** about Manning

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

No one has ever said that.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

I kinda hope we release his sorry ass

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Manning will be the #8 defenseman if they keep Provorov up. He's probably not a bad guy for that role--he's serviceable in a pinch, but not good enough to get claimed while to yoyoing between the NHL and AHL.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
I don't care if we sign Manning. He's good in the AHL and can be called-up if we have too many injuries. Just don't want him as our #6 anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad