News Article: Hextall on deadline "We're not buying"

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bishop is a option I would look at if I'm hextall. I don't know what is the ask but if you start with Neuvirth, Laughton + maybe Yzerman will listen. For the rest of the team...trade Streit, Schultz, Del zotto, Bellemare, Mason, Read, Laughton, Neuvirth and try to pull a Pronger with Macdonald + 3rd for a 5th.

Like other poster said Johnson would be a great add and I would try Duclair if he is cheap...like Macdonald + 3rd cheap lol.

Add a top 6 without losing one, add 1 REAL bottom 6 , add draft picks, get rid of the dead weight and It will be an epic tradedeadline.

But why would you trade for Bishop?
1. He'll be free in a few months.
2. Because he's a UFA, he doesn't help us protect Stolie.
3. The only way he would help us protect Stolie is if he signed an extension after the trade.
4. He's vastly overrated and will be overpaid on his next contract - we don't want to be the ones making that overpayment.
5. We are going nowhere this season, so trading anything for him is akin to throwing assets away.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Adding Johnson and Duclair could potentially really give the offense a boost next year. Im not sure what TJ would cost tho.

Sign me up for Laughton for Duclair.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Duclair, but as much as I like TJ, I wouldn't trade for him. He gets hurt pretty often - at least in the playoffs - and I don't think he is going to live up to his next contract. He's not the worst guy to target - and I do really like him - but I don't think he's our guy.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm still dreaming about Schenn for Trouba in the offseason. I know highly unlikely but he is one player I truly would try to target.

Also a team I would target for Schenn if Trouba isn't available, Vancouver. I feel like they are a team that would give up a high pick for him.

Not unlikely, no chance Trouba is traded for a fwd of Schenns calibre.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Duclair, but as much as I like TJ, I wouldn't trade for him. He gets hurt pretty often - at least in the playoffs - and I don't think he is going to live up to his next contract. He's not the worst guy to target - and I do really like him - but I don't think he's our guy.
He'd be a perfect fit though. Top 6 center who can play on the top line or 2nd line, adds speed, can score. He's exactly the type of center we need.

It would have to be for picks and/or prospects though, because Tampa doesn't have the cap room to trade for NHL players.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I believe if there is a shakeup with this core, it's more than likely going to be Schenn.

I don't think Mason gets a lot at the deadline. We would retain a good chunk of his salary I feel because teams are already making their runs with their starters. Mason would no doubt be the back up wherever he goes. Same with Nuevy but his contract is much easier to move.

Calgary has Burke behind the scenes and they love those big bodies gritty wingers that Schenn sometimes presents himself as.

What they would trade for Schenn is another guess. I would start by asking for their first because monahan and Bennett are probably not on the table. After that it's open for discussion. That's an offseason deal though I feel.

I would ask for 1st rounder+poirier for Schenn.

I know a lot give Schenn **** around here but if he was on the market he would garner a good amount of interest. 50-60 point player who is a good PP option and plays all three positions upfront. There would be teams highly interested I believe

I only trade Schenn is it fills a hole at C....or top pairing RHD to play with Provy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Boeser is one of the better prospects around the league & the first rounder should be a top 10 pick. Teams just aren't really trading those type of pieces anymore. Benning's an idiot but he's not going to part with that. He's got nothing on his NHL roster outside of Horvat that you can say is a piece that will be there multiple years down the line.

Yeah, Boeser isn't happening. Usually there's a solid to middling prospect I've taken a fancy to over the years, but when it comes to the Canucks....I've got nothing outside of the two obvious keepers. Zhukenov is probably the best of the rest unless you like Lockwood? Am I forgetting anyone? Schenn for Hutton as a base is not where I want to be.

*Edit* Forgot Brisebois is theirs too. Can't say I have caught much of Charlottetown this year.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Yeah, Boeser isn't happening. Usually there's a solid to middling prospect I've taken a fancy to over the years, but when it comes to the Canucks....I've got nothing outside of the two obvious keepers. Zhukenov is probably the best of the rest unless you like Lockwood? Am I forgetting anyone? Schenn for Hutton as a base is not where I want to be.

I don't know if I want any prospects from Vancouver. Looking at their draft history holy crud is it bad.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
But why would you trade for Bishop?
1. He'll be free in a few months.
2. Because he's a UFA, he doesn't help us protect Stolie.
3. The only way he would help us protect Stolie is if he signed an extension after the trade.
4. He's vastly overrated and will be overpaid on his next contract - we don't want to be the ones making that overpayment.
5. We are going nowhere this season, so trading anything for him is akin to throwing assets away.

Ur right, didn't think about LV. So a priority would be to add a 2nd cheap goalie sign for at least 1 more year so we can protect Stole?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Ur right, didn't think about LV. So a priority would be to add a 2nd cheap goalie sign for at least 1 more year so we can protect Stole?

Yes. Between not and the E draft, we have to sign someone to expose. And it's why adding Bishop now makes no sense because then Stolie is exposed.

Now we could re-sign Mason or Neuvurth...and expose them. But they likely don't sign knowing that option is there.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Benning loves trading his seconds & thirds so it hurts their prospect pool. He drafts a lot of re-entries as well.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I always see you say this but is there another 55 point player out there they can get? Duchene is the only other player that could be said that "reportedly" is available.

The Jets would much rather just keep Trouba. They don't need more forwards.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Jets games I've watched this year it seems their defense & goaltending have been the issues.

They're pretty deep upfront not to mention they have Roslovic & Connor in minors. I'd imagine the former might be a center replacement if they don't keep Little past next year when his contract expires.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
fire_sale-2.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
In another thread, there has been some chatter around a Schenn for RNH trade. Is this a figment of someone's imagination or is there some possibility of it going down. In a way it is appealing since it would take care of the center position of the top three lines. Schenn as a center in Philly doesn't seem to work.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Dave Isaac reads HF,, he's on tsn Wpg and he is almost verbatim with our Haks criticism, line combo useage, and trade abilities. Sounds a lot more honest then what you see on his twitter.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I always see you say this but is there another 55 point player out there they can get? Duchene is the only other player that could be said that "reportedly" is available.

They do t need forwards. Laine Ehlers Schiefele Wheeler Little Armia Deano Lowry Connor

They desperately need D. They are the exact opposite of us. We aren't trading TK or Lindblom for defense

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I see three of the defensemen being moved. Del Zotto, Streit and Schultz should be gone. I could see a return on Streit being similar to what the Flyers got for Timonen. In terms of Del Zotto, I think he's young enough that someone will give a 2nd for him. As for Schultz, he's depth a guy that should bring a 5th back.

As for the goalies, I know that Sportsnet was reporting that Doug Wilson was sniffing around Steve Mason as a back up and that Boston and Winnipeg are both interested in Neuvirth. San Jose doesn't have any picks in the 2nd or 3rd, so maybe the Flyers can luck out and get a prospect like Julius Bergman for him. As for Neuvirth, I'm thinking a draft pick (2nd or 3rd) plus a goalie like Hutchinson from Winnipeg or Khudobin from Boston. Both are signed until 2018 and can be the players that get exposed for the expansion draft.

So, free up salary, get some draft picks for the draft, grab a contract or two to expose a player for the expansion draft, and open up some spaces for next season. That should be the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad