News Article: Hextall on deadline "We're not buying"

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Where do you think Flyers will be standing after Sat night? Hextall is a funny guy.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
We certainly shouldn't be buying, we're in no position to make a run for the cup.

I fully expect him to try to get some returns for our extra/expendable D, but I don't think he's going to try to change much else.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
If I'm Hextall, I'm not moving Friedman. Myers has a history of concussions and Friedman has been one of, if not, the best defenseman in the NCAA. Friedman is a valuable piece that should be used as more than a cap dump.

Friedman has not signed an elc yet hopefully it gets done this spring having too many rhd in the system is never a bad problem to have.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Hextall already knows what he is going to do at the deadline. He is just giving the vanilla answers to give the fans of the teams and the season ticket holders just enough of an answer that they aren't throwing in the towel.
he is willing to wait until the last minute of the deadline if he has to.

I really don't know where the Flyers will be on Wednesday in the standings. I don't think it matters. this team just doesn't pass the eye test of a playoff team and I believe Hextall knows this.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
I would try to pry Duclair out of Arizona, really good speed with potential there

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
I see three of the defensemen being moved. Del Zotto, Streit and Schultz should be gone. I could see a return on Streit being similar to what the Flyers got for Timonen. In terms of Del Zotto, I think he's young enough that someone will give a 2nd for him. As for Schultz, he's depth a guy that should bring a 5th back.

As for the goalies, I know that Sportsnet was reporting that Doug Wilson was sniffing around Steve Mason as a back up and that Boston and Winnipeg are both interested in Neuvirth. San Jose doesn't have any picks in the 2nd or 3rd, so maybe the Flyers can luck out and get a prospect like Julius Bergman for him. As for Neuvirth, I'm thinking a draft pick (2nd or 3rd) plus a goalie like Hutchinson from Winnipeg or Khudobin from Boston. Both are signed until 2018 and can be the players that get exposed for the expansion draft.

So, free up salary, get some draft picks for the draft, grab a contract or two to expose a player for the expansion draft, and open up some spaces for next season. That should be the goal.

You are being too optimistic. First of all, Hextall is not trading three d-men. Secondly, Streit isn't in the same ballpark value-wise as Timonen and won't fetch two 2nd rounders (actually, Kimmo was traded for a 2nd and a conditional 4th which turned into 2nd). Just forget about it. I would be surprised if they received more than a 3rd plus a late pick for him (which would be more than a 3rd and less than a 2nd). And finally, MDZ is useless. If you were a GM of a playoff team would you trade assets for him to make your squad worse? If they could get anything for him it would be close to nothing.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You are being too optimistic. First of all, Hextall is not trading three d-men. Secondly, Streit isn't in the same ballpark value-wise as Timonen and won't fetch two 2nd rounders (actually, Kimmo was traded for a 2nd and a conditional 4th which turned into 2nd). Just forget about it. I would be surprised if they received more than a 3rd plus a late pick for him (which would be more than a 3rd and less than a 2nd). And finally, MDZ is useless. If you were a GM of a playoff team would you trade assets for him to make your squad worse? If they could get anything for him it would be close to nothing.

I loved Kimmo when he was here but he wasn't very good at the end of his time here and was pretty bad for the Hawks in the playoffs. I believe he was scratched several times in the playoffs. A team could offer up a 2nd for Streit. Maybe the Kings do considering their issues on the PP.
probably can agree on MDZ but I think he could still fetch a draft pick. someone could give up a 3rd or 4th to have him for depth and he could be ok if he is given sheltered 3rd pairing minutes

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, Boeser isn't happening. Usually there's a solid to middling prospect I've taken a fancy to over the years, but when it comes to the Canucks....I've got nothing outside of the two obvious keepers. Zhukenov is probably the best of the rest unless you like Lockwood? Am I forgetting anyone? Schenn for Hutton as a base is not where I want to be.

*Edit* Forgot Brisebois is theirs too. Can't say I have caught much of Charlottetown this year.

Adam Gaudette. Having a big year for Northeastern.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Also important to note that Timonen hadn't played for almost the entire year when he was traded for that package. Streit has at least played most of the year.

I am confident he'll fetch a 2nd. Not saying any more, but 2nd for sure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I''d be happy with a 3rd for Streit and 4th for MDZ, with maybe a later roun pick as a sweetener.
We're not going anywhere, and the more picks the better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This was posted on the main boards:

sabelle Khurshudyan ✔ @ikhurshudyan
Something interesting that MacLellan mentioned: Looming expansion draft is restricting the market for defensemen
Follow
Isabelle Khurshudyan ✔ @ikhurshudyan
Mac: "I don’t think there’s many hockey trades being talked about. ... I think you’ll see all of the unrestricted guys get sold off here."
1:59 PM - 23 Feb 2017
2 2 Retweets 9 9 likes

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Also important to note that Timonen hadn't played for almost the entire year when he was traded for that package. Streit has at least played most of the year.

I am confident he'll fetch a 2nd. Not saying any more, but 2nd for sure.
I'm sure there are several teams interested in him, which should help drive up the price a bit too.

I'm not sure about Del Zotto. If any team has watched him this year, knowing his history of inconsistent play, they probably wouldn't be willing to offer much for him. He's been so bad he's behind Manning on our depth chart. That says it all.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

I beg to differ. Defensemen are a premium. Regardless of whether Streit is in the same park 'value' wise as Timonen, there's a GM out there that is always willing to overpay.

Same with Del Zotto. There's a GM out there that will take a chance on him and will be willing to pull the trigger on a 2nd round pick for a 26 year old defenseman who has a history of being able to move the puck. He's having a bad year, agreed. He was certainly better last year when he focused on defense and GMs will remember that.

You get a GM that's desperate (I'm looking at Marc Bergevin in Montreal, Don Sweeney in Boston and a few others on the cusp ofthe playoffs), they can't help themselves.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Genuinely curious but what are Flyers fans opinions on Giroux? Do you think he's on a decline in any sort of way? Would you be very upset if they traded him away?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Some people on here are dumb enough to think it's a good idea to trade him, the people who pay attention know it's not.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Genuinely curious but what are Flyers fans opinions on Giroux? Do you think he's on a decline in any sort of way? Would you be very upset if they traded him away?

He's on a team that lacks depth at C. It's not exactly surprising that he's struggled to score 5v5. Faces tough competition and very little space to work with. The Flyers are too top heavy at forward and the D squad is not nearly good enough to make the offense productive. The team is a good 3C + 4C + 3D + G away from being anything other than a spoiler/bubble playoff contender.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010

Probably at least slightly declining which is typical for a forward his age.

I'm not opposed to trading him. If Montreal offered a package such as Galchenyuk, Sergachev, and a 2017 1st, for example, that might be worth it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Adam Gaudette. Having a big year for Northeastern.

Oh man, that's a terrible whiff on my part. He's top 5 in D1 scoring, isn't he? I really should remember a USHL guy like that as much as I have tried to learn more about that league the last 2 years.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Oh man, that's a terrible whiff on my part. He's top 5 in D1 scoring, isn't he? I really should remember a USHL guy like that as much as I have tried to learn more about that league the last 2 years.

Yeah Northeastern is an offensive juggernaut this year. Their top line is in the top 6 for national scoring and the Stevens brothers are pretty good at that level too (over PPG).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Del Zotto's age is irrelevant to his trade value. He's going to be a UFA.

And yet dummies on the main trade thread talk about no one paying for a 39 year old Streit.....even though he is still top 60 in D scoring.

As you said, age means nothing.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Some people on here are dumb enough to think it's a good idea to trade him, the people who pay attention know it's not.
But people who really know hockey would say of course I would trade him for the right deal but the odds of that occurring are really small considering center is an organizational weak spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad