News Article: Hextall on deadline "We're not buying"

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20170225_Flyers__Hextall_on_trade_deadline___We_re_not_buying_.html

Asked before the Flyers' practice Friday evening at Heinz Field if he was going to be a buyer or seller, Hextall was direct.

"We're not buying," he said.

Hextall said he wants to see where the Flyers are in the standings after games Saturday night in Pittsburgh and Tuesday against visiting Colorado. Apparently that will determine just how many players he tries to deal.

Defensemen Mark Streit, Michael Del Zotto, and Nick Schultz can become unrestricted free agents on July 1. Ditto goalies Steve Mason and Michal Neuvirth.

Not a revelation for most of us, but nice to hear a firm answer. Now if he'll only state that we're sellers...

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Win or lose the next two , sell the that's not being resigned. Streit and MDZ , hit the bricks and recall Morin and Haag

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If the Flyers win their next game tomorrow, it should mean nothing to whether they sell or not. It's one game. The determination should already be made. I don't care if it's a 5-0 win.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If the Flyers win their next game tomorrow, it should mean nothing to whether they sell or not. It's one game. The determination should already be made. I don't care if it's a 5-0 win.

Agreed, we should be sellers regardless. Get extra assets that you can use to help next years team or the draft.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Who have the flyers been scouting the most. I've seen tweets constantly with the scouts sheet and the flyers are almost always absent.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I'm sure Hextall is of that mindset. He just can't come out and say it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hope so. He said they had 8 d-men which tells us something about his plans. Just send two of them somewhere.

I'd go nuclear & sell off as many UFA's as possible this deadline if I was Hextall. Streit, Del Zotto, Schultz, Bellemare, VandeVelde, Mason, Neuvirth, etc.

I think he's way too worried about the Phantoms though. So I think just Streit, Del Zotto, & maybe a goalie (if he can get one coming back) go.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Streit, MDZ, Schultz, MacDonald (no one is taking him), Weise, Read, VV, and PEB should all be available regardless of the outcome of the next couple games

Edit: I would t give away Read and Weise but for the right deal I wouldn't care if they were gone

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Who have the flyers been scouting the most. I've seen tweets constantly with the scouts sheet and the flyers are almost always absent.

Kings and habs is what I have been seeing the most scouts noted at our games

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd go nuclear & sell off as many UFA's as possible this deadline if I was Hextall. Streit, Del Zotto, Schultz, Bellemare, VandeVelde, Mason, Neuvirth, etc.

I think he's way too worried about the Phantoms though. So I think just Streit, Del Zotto, & maybe a goalie (if he can get one coming back) go.

We can always take back an expiring player , or fill in, in some of the deals to get a trade done.

Like the Streit for 2nd and Pateryn deal that was discussed, Patty replaces that roster spot keeping the kids in the AHL.

Plus, maybe Friedman will join LV as well if we wanted to bring up a placeholder or even kid for a few games. Rotate the kids in for like 3 games each.

Hopefully, this is our last year as sellers. Take advantage of it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would keep Read as I think there's a good chance LV takes him over Cousins & Laughton. Even if you don't think those two have much of a future here they very well could be guys flipped at a later date potentially for something better than you would get Read for now.

I don't see Hextall admitting defeat on Weise this early when the contract isn't anything crippling.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think Hextall knows he is selling regardless. He probably realizes some fans cling to the faintest hope and doesn't want to appear to be throwing in the towel ahead of the Pens game.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Of course he'll be selling. Anything else out of him would dissapoint me. If our beloved UFA's are here after march 1st because noone wanted them that's another story. But Streit and Del Zotto together should fetch at least a 2nd and 3rd / middle class prospect.

I'd kill to see MacDonald gone but it will probably be a pipe dream.

Nevertheless I expect some wealin and dealin from Hexy. Team needs a new direction and some upper tier players should be available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->