News Article: Hextall on deadline "We're not buying"

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I really hope Hextall is just playing with the media.

The two upcoming games are absolutely meaningless. It would be plain stupid to dress any of the players he intends to sell at the deadline and to risk injury.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It's pretty common sense that we aren't buying. We haven't since hextall took over.

I do feel we need a more explosive offensive talented top 6 player. Two of the best options I believe are Tyler Johnson and Matt Duchene. Johnson of course more than likely being the cheaper to acquire. Add a player like him and then draft Nicas in the first round we will look good for the future.

Also, try as hard as you can to get a 1st rounder in the draft. Having 2 first rounders really gives the teams options not only moving up or selecting two prospects but in trades as well.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Anyone know Duclair's value these days? I remember him lighting us up when he was on the Rangers. He's got speed...still young. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a look at him along with dumping our crap.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Anyone know Duclair's value these days? I remember him lighting us up when he was on the Rangers. He's got speed...still young. I wouldn't be opposed to taking a look at him along with dumping our crap.

He's struggled big time. When that happens and a second team is already reportedly in trade talks about him, it's a red flag. I don't think his value if very highly at the moment.

I just don't think two sellers make good trading partners until the summer though.

Laughton for Duclair?

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
He's struggled big time. When that happens and a second team is already reportedly in trade talks about him, it's a red flag. I don't think his value if very highly at the moment.

I just don't think two sellers make good trading partners until the summer though.

Yeah, I feel ya. Was just wondering. He definitely has the potential to get back to where he was and if he could be had cheap (or we give something worth more and get a good pick thrown in) it might not be a bad idea to take a shot at.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Yeah, I feel ya. Was just wondering. He definitely has the potential to get back to where he was and if he could be had cheap (or we give something worth more and get a good pick thrown in) it might not be a bad idea to take a shot at.

I edited my post and said Laughton for Duclair straight swap would be enticing.

Sorry for the errors with grammar/spelling. Posting on the phone is a pain in the ass

I'm in the thinking with others around here that don't think Laughton is a flyer next year.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I edited my post and said Laughton for Duclair straight swap would be enticing.

Sorry for the errors with grammar/spelling. Posting on the phone is a pain in the ass

I'm in the thinking with others around here that don't think Laughton is a flyer next year.

I'd probably be open to that. Always hoped for more from Laughton and do think he could play well if given another shot but same could be said for Duclair. Why not?

I wonder if they would want a Read? How's there cap these days? Do they need to reach the floor for next year. :)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd probably be open to that. Always hoped for more from Laughton and do think he could play well if given another shot but same could be said for Duclair. Why not?

I wonder if they would want a Read? How's there cap these days? Do they need to reach the floor for next year. :)

Read to the coyotes is actually a good idea. They should be able to make the cap floor but they are very very young upfront. Some experience wouldn't hurt there.

Also on another note I think Streit to Montreal makes too much sense. He has played there before and they desperately need help on defense and another pivot it seems. Wouldn't it be great if we got their 1st rounder for Streit and they continue to freefall in the standings.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Read to the coyotes is actually a good idea. They should be able to make the cap floor but they are very very young upfront. Some experience wouldn't hurt there.

Also on another note I think Streit to Montreal makes too much sense. He has played there before and they desperately need help on defense and another pivot it seems. Wouldn't it be great if we got their 1st rounder for Streit and they continue to freefall in the standings.

Trading them Streit would be like pouring grease on the downhill slope they are on :laugh:

DO IT!

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters

I'm all for both of them! Re:Montreal - "Best Goalie in the world" isnt looking so good right now, is he!?

Now, how about a Mason deal. What can we steal from someone like Calgary :popcorn: Maybe just go after more picks and Klimchuk? I dont think we could get Bennett or Monahan, but maybe we could work out something bigger. I just hate mentioning Schenn because people get all mad (even though his value is probably nice and high right now - but then you also have to work out salaries). If we had to take a Goalie back for Mason, Id rather get Chad Johnson or a prospect. Elliot blows.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Team is the same position they were two years ago, and I expect Hexy to have the same mindset.

Unfortunately we don't have an asset as valuable as Coburn who got us a 1st and a 3rd. And a dime a dozen #7 dman who was slower than Luke Schenn and less valuable than Emerson Etem. :laugh:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'm all for both of them! Re:Montreal - "Best Goalie in the world" isnt looking so good right now, is he!?

Now, how about a Mason deal. What can we steal from someone like Calgary :popcorn: Maybe just go after more picks and Klimchuk? I dont think we could get Bennett or Monahan, but maybe we could work out something bigger. I just hate mentioning Schenn because people get all mad (even though his value is probably nice and high right now - but then you also have to work out salaries). If we had to take a Goalie back for Mason, Id rather get Chad Johnson or a prospect. Elliot blows.

I believe if there is a shakeup with this core, it's more than likely going to be Schenn.

I don't think Mason gets a lot at the deadline. We would retain a good chunk of his salary I feel because teams are already making their runs with their starters. Mason would no doubt be the back up wherever he goes. Same with Nuevy but his contract is much easier to move.

Calgary has Burke behind the scenes and they love those big bodies gritty wingers that Schenn sometimes presents himself as.

What they would trade for Schenn is another guess. I would start by asking for their first because monahan and Bennett are probably not on the table. After that it's open for discussion. That's an offseason deal though I feel.

I would ask for 1st rounder+poirier for Schenn.

I know a lot give Schenn **** around here but if he was on the market he would garner a good amount of interest. 50-60 point player who is a good PP option and plays all three positions upfront. There would be teams highly interested I believe

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Team is the same position they were two years ago, and I expect Hexy to have the same mindset.

Unfortunately we don't have an asset as valuable as Coburn who got us a 1st and a 3rd. And a dime a dozen #7 dman who was slower than Luke Schenn and less valuable than Emerson Etem. :laugh:

I still remember those arguments. It was a certain somebody but also some Tampa fans as well. I believe it was clearly just spite. I don't see how people can't look at trades objectively. They let their bias do too much of the talking. ( Tampa fans. Not the other poster here, who was completely wrong too and doesn't hear it enough on this topic I believe )

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't trade Schenn for Calgary's first & Poirier. The pick is going to be in the second half of the round & Poirier doesn't even look like a guy who's going to have much of an NHL career at this point.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wouldn't trade Schenn for Calgary's first & Poirier. The pick is going to be in the second half of the round & Poirier doesn't even look like a guy who's going to have much of an NHL career at this point.

I'm still dreaming about Schenn for Trouba in the offseason. I know highly unlikely but he is one player I truly would try to target.

Also a team I would target for Schenn if Trouba isn't available, Vancouver. I feel like they are a team that would give up a high pick for him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I still remember those arguments. It was a certain somebody but also some Tampa fans as well. I believe it was clearly just spite. I don't see how people can't look at trades objectively. They let their bias do too much of the talking. ( Tampa fans. Not the other poster here, who was completely wrong too and doesn't hear it enough on this topic I believe )

I think it's worth recalling how absurdly negative certain people were about the strong return Hextall got for Coburn, when he's likely to make at least one trade in the next few days.

Etem got waived down to the AHL and Gudas is a top 4 dman.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I'm still dreaming about Schenn for Trouba in the offseason. I know highly unlikely but he is one player I truly would try to target.

Also a team I would target for Schenn if Trouba isn't available, Vancouver. I feel like they are a team that would give up a high pick for him.

Schenn would actually be a great fit in Vancouver. I could totally see that, just not sure what I would want back. Boesser should be a part of it for me. Love that kid. I'm not sure Boesser and a 1st is enough though??

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Schenn would actually be a great fit in Vancouver. I could totally see that, just not sure what I would want back. Boesser should be a part of it for me. Love that kid. I'm not sure Boesser and a 1st is enough though??

You get vancouvers 1st in a deal and walk away from the draft with two top 15 picks I would be ecstatic. Nicas and petterson and just call it a day. If we do manage to get another high end pick we should use both on two forwards with high end potential. No safe picks. Someone who can take the reigns over for Giroux in a few seasons

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Boeser is one of the better prospects around the league & the first rounder should be a top 10 pick. Teams just aren't really trading those type of pieces anymore. Benning's an idiot but he's not going to part with that. He's got nothing on his NHL roster outside of Horvat that you can say is a piece that will be there multiple years down the line.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Bishop is a option I would look at if I'm hextall. I don't know what is the ask but if you start with Neuvirth, Laughton + maybe Yzerman will listen. For the rest of the team...trade Streit, Schultz, Del zotto, Bellemare, Mason, Read, Laughton, Neuvirth and try to pull a Pronger with Macdonald + 3rd for a 5th.

Like other poster said Johnson would be a great add and I would try Duclair if he is cheap...like Macdonald + 3rd cheap lol.

Add a top 6 without losing one, add 1 REAL bottom 6 , add draft picks, get rid of the dead weight and It will be an epic tradedeadline.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Bishop is a option I would look at if I'm hextall. I don't know what is the ask but if you start with Neuvirth, Laughton + maybe Yzerman will listen. For the rest of the team...trade Streit, Schultz, Del zotto, Bellemare, Mason, Read, Laughton, Neuvirth and try to pull a Pronger with Macdonald + 3rd for a 5th.

Like other poster said Johnson would be a great add and I would try Duclair if he is cheap...like Macdonald + 3rd cheap lol.

Add a top 6 without losing one, add 1 REAL bottom 6 , add draft picks, get rid of the dead weight and It will be an epic tradedeadline.

Adding Johnson and Duclair could potentially really give the offense a boost next year. Im not sure what TJ would cost tho.

Sign me up for Laughton for Duclair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2