Friedman: Hextall looking to bring in a right handed defenseman

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Letang is light years better than Gostisbehere, and he’s a RD, which you need.
31 y.o. extremely injury-prone D being paid 7,25 mil with 67 point career high some time ago is worth more than 25 y.o. guy on a great contract signed until 2023 with 65 point career high scored last season... And you are telling others to grow up. JesusChristAndJosephAndHolyMotherOfGod.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
31 y.o. extremely injury-prone D being paid 7,25 mil with 67 point career high some time ago is worth more than 25 y.o. guy on a great contract signed until 2023 with 65 point career high scored last season... And you are telling others to grow up. JesusChristAndJosephAndHolyMotherOfGod.

Correction - a 25 year old guys who’s been inconsistent in the league to date and has also had major surgery that has apparently caused him to slow down.

Letang has had injuries, he’s still firing on all cylinders. Letang is a #1 RD. You are taking a small piece of the pie and trying to spin the whole argument in your favor.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Correction - a 25 year old guys who’s been inconsistent in the league to date and has also had major surgery that has apparently caused him to slow down.
And how all of this doesn't apply to Letang except he's older and paid way more?

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
And how all of this doesn't apply to Letang except he's older and paid way more?
Because it doesn’t lol

Letang didn’t have major hip surgery... Your perception of Letang isn’t in line with reality.

But by all means, keep telling me how Gostisbehere is a better defensemen than Kris Letang lol

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Because it doesn’t lol

Letang didn’t have major hip surgery... Your perception of Letang isn’t in line with reality.

But by all means, keep telling me how Gostisbehere is a better defensemen than Kris Letang lol

One player has a .64 ppg average. The other a .68. Tell me which.

Then go back under your bridge.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Because it doesn’t lol

Doesn't it now? You said "who’s been inconsistent in the league to date and has also had major surgery that has apparently caused him to slow down". Letang's history shows he's missed more than 50% of games in 3 out of last 6 seasons hence extremely inconsistent and he is 31 meaning he will inevitably slow down due to age in the later years of his contract especially considering his health issues. Also you keep repeating about Gost's hip surgery but it was 2 years ago and he just had the best season in his career so how the hell is that relevant?

Also, it's not about being better defenseman, it's about being worth more ffs. Have you heard about this salary cap thing? If you don't realize young players on good contracts are worth way more than old good players on so-so contracts I don't know what to tell you man. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
4aE8nYv.jpg

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Havent we heard for like the last 3-4 years that Philly is absolutely loaded at D with prospects? What happened?

Provorov is a #1 and tied for the league lead in goals. Ghost just had a 65 point season.

Sanheim and Myers are right on track too. The only ones you could claim aren’t working out are Morin and Hagg.

They could settle for a solid #4, but they have the assets to go after Karlsson or Hamilton. If they do they’d have one of the best defense cores in the league moving forward.

Reactions: Rebels57

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Havent we heard for like the last 3-4 years that Philly is absolutely loaded at D with prospects? What happened?

They've got Sanheim, Provorov and Ghost on their roster. Hagg is meh, Morin is what he always was, a project for a shutdown third pairing guy (and is injured long term iirc, ACL?). Myers might be able to fight for a spot?

The issue with Philly was they had a stacked D prospect pool but their NHL defense was garbage so they haven't been able to load up a defense even with some graduates.

Reactions: wankstifier

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Letang is light years better than Gostisbehere, and he’s a RD, which you need. May have had some nice seasons but give me a break. Sheary gives you about the same offense you’re going to miss out on with the current version of Wayne Simmonds.

In what universe is Letang light years better?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Because it doesn’t lol

Interesting...I can't find Letang's name on this list anywhere...but OMGosh there is the GhostBear!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I know we have been through this before, but Schmaltz is available from St. Louis. He's an NHL ready PMD, very capable of stepping into a permanent 3rd pairing RD role. He absolutely has top 4 potential. He is behind Pietrangelo-Parayko-Bortuzzo in St. Louis and is now no longer waiver exempt. The Blues either have to move him, (or Bortz), or carry 8 D.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I know we have been through this before, but Schmaltz is available from St. Louis. He's an NHL ready PMD, very capable of stepping into a permanent 3rd pairing RD role. He absolutely has top 4 potential. He is behind Pietrangelo-Parayko-Bortuzzo in St. Louis and is now no longer waiver exempt. The Blues either have to move him, (or Bortz), or carry 8 D.

I think we' probably need to aim for a higher quality RHD. We have plenty of guys who can play 3rd pairing either this season or next, but ideally that 3rd D-man is what we're looking for I think behind Ghost and Provy.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Ok.

Shayne Gostibehere is a better defenseman than Kris Letang.

Totally piling on here just so you get one more notification, but it's been going well thus far. Provorov & Ghost have not only made the team but have both become top pairing defensemen. Hagg & Sanheim just finished out their rookie seasons. Morin likely would have done the same but was cursed with injuries this season (that will unfortunately continue well into next season). Phil Myers completed his rookie season in the AHL.

The problem is that only Myers is a righty. Also, Hextall & Hakstol are terrified of playing too many young defensemen at a time, hence why Andrew MacDonald gets fed way more ice-time than he can handle.

As far as future development is concerned, we already have 2 top pairing guys, Sanheim projects nicely as a top 4 guy with top pairing potential, Hagg doesn't look like anything beyond a 6/7 at best in my opinion, Sam Morin's career trajectory has perhaps been radically altered by the year from injury hell, so who knows where he ends up anymore, and much like Sanheim, Phil Myers still projects as a top 4 guy with top pairing potential.

They've got Sanheim, Provorov and Ghost on their roster. Hagg is meh, Morin is what he always was, a project for a shutdown third pairing guy (and is injured long term iirc, ACL?). Myers might be able to fight for a spot?

Morin was trending really well and almost everyone thought he should have made the team out of camp over Hagg. Then he got killed with injuries and only played 20 total hockey games last season before catching a rut in the ice during the AHL playoffs and tearing his ACL, which is going to keep him out well into 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad