Friedman: Hextall looking to bring in a right handed defenseman

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
It’s fine to be disappointed so far. It’s insane to say he’s busted. Literally just absurd. He hasn’t blasted his way onto the scene like we would have hoped but there is absolutely still time. I will concede that the injuries make it harder, but Morin will be an NHL regular before his career is over, whether with us or a different org.
that's fair tbqh

Reactions: mdm815

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
hmmm it couldn't possibly be that Morin isn't rated that highly internally by our organization, could it?

All I know is when we started this endeavor with our d prospects, we had Ghost, Morin, Hagg, Sanheim, Provorov, & a surprise in Myers.
Morin has been left in the dust by each and every player listed there. I had hope in Morin up until a year or so ago, but I transferred that energy to Myers.

In the beginning of the year Hagg was better than Sanheim due to his safe play (throwing a hit, and just throwing the puck out of the zone)... Hakstol loves that. Sanheim, however, is more meticulous and plays with risk... Hakstol hates that. When it works out he’s ok with it, but if it doesnt, then benchings occur... This plays to morins style. Morin, Sanheim, And Ghost are not safe players. They take risks in their game. Ghost has sat for it and so has Sanheim. The Norris candidate sat this year for his defensive play that wasnt even bad.

Morin plays on the edge and thats why hes not a safe player. One bad penalty and Hakstol would be the first person to bench him. That never happened to Hagg until he played poorly at the end of the year and Sanheim couldnt be sat anymore.

Morin is far from a bust. He has to be able to play his game- but disciplined to team standards. His recent injuries are just that recent and the thig with this team is- its so vet heavy and favored, that Morin felt that he had to lie about his injury (saying that it wasnt bad) just to stay on the team. I wouldnt want to play for a team like that.

Defnsemen are now weirdly rates by how they are offensively- thats why a lot of Norris candidates get where they are (Burns). Morin will be our second besr defensive Dman. Provy will take that. Morin is so good in his own zone, staying on his man, clearing the porch, reading cycle play, board battling- he just doesnt have much of a shot (hes got a bomb, but its not accurate), and he doesnt have great puck skills. His skating, too, is great- especially for a guy his size.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is it really a great report if basically every team is looking for a good right handed defenceman?!

Reactions: wankstifier

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Is it really a great report if basically every team is looking for a good right handed defenceman?!

It is if what the article is saying is that they're specifically targeting one this summer. It creates an expectation now that if Hextall doesn't go get one this year, he failed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad