Friedman: Hextall looking to bring in a right handed defenseman

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Flyers really need a stud RH defenseman who is a vet, but still in their prime (Karlsson / Carlson / Hamilton fit the bill perfectly). We can keep talking about the prospects, blah, blah, blah, but the only ones we can take to the bank are Provorov and Ghost. While Sanheim is developing nicely, he's no lock to be a stud. Hagg is meh and Morin is starting to look like a "decent" 3rd pair shutdown D at best. Myers is intriguing, as he has size, can skate, and is a RH shot... but his injuries are starting to scare me. Again, not a lock to be a stud. The Flyers need a proven stud, preferably a RHer.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The Flyers really need a stud RH defenseman who is a vet, but still in their prime (Karlsson / Carlson / Hamilton fit the bill perfectly). We can keep talking about the prospects, blah, blah, blah, but the only ones we can take to the bank are Provorov and Ghost. While Sanheim is developing nicely, he's no lock to be a stud. Hagg is meh and Morin is starting to look like a "decent" 3rd pair shutdown D at best. Myers is intriguing, as he has size, can skate, and is a RH shot... but his injuries are starting to scare me. Again, not a lock to be a stud. The Flyers need a proven stud, preferably a RHer.
We sure do.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Havent we heard for like the last 3-4 years that Philly is absolutely loaded at D with prospects? What happened?
Murderers row is nearly complete. Ghost is a 60 pt dman. Provorov just scored the most goals in the nhl. Sanhiem is going to take an on track step up this year. Myers could make the team. Morin had a big injury but was a lock to make the team next year. Everyone said he should have made the team last year. None of them have busted. Just takes a little time. Need a stabilizer on the team with all the young guys.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
None of them have busted.
Morin tbqh

it's been 5-years and he's played 3 NHL games.
When he returns from his injury he likely will finish the year in the AHL and his contract will then be up.

it's alright tho. Not all of them were gonna pan out and when you hit bigly on Ghost & Provorov and still have Sanheim & Myers who have real potential, it's not that big of a deal.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Sounds like Phili wants to keep Ghost. What else could be offered up for Trouba?

Provorov (21) Trouba (24)
Sanheim (22) Ghost (25)

is disgustingly good top 4 with old man Ghost at 25 being the oldest one. I'd put that group up against anyone.

I'd probably want Phil Myers back as part of the return as the Jets would critically need RHD prospects with first pairing upside if Trouba is gone to replace Buff and Myers as they age. Jets also need a long term option at 2C, preferably more of a 1B to Scheifele's 1A. Would Flyers trade us hometown boy Nolan Patrick to slot in as our 2C behind Scheif? If not, what about Frost?

What do people think about Trouba - Patrick as a basis for a trade? I only ask because there's other rumours about Flyers being in on ROR and if that happened then Couts, ROR, Patrick, Laughton, Frost, Rubstov is a lot of guys in the middle.

Anyhow, just floating an idea for some feedback and fun. Feel free to offer adds as needed.

HammerTime44

Flyers-Phillies-Packers-LH44
Feb 11, 2014
Philadelphia
Sounds like Phili wants to keep Ghost. What else could be offered up for Trouba?

Provorov (21) Trouba (24)
Sanheim (22) Ghost (25)

is disgustingly good top 4 with old man Ghost at 25 being the oldest one. I'd put that group up against anyone.

I'd probably want Phil Myers back as part of the return as the Jets would critically need RHD prospects with first pairing upside if Trouba is gone to replace Buff and Myers as they age. Jets also need a long term option at 2C, preferably more of a 1B to Scheifele's 1A. Would Flyers trade us hometown boy Nolan Patrick to slot in as our 2C behind Scheif? If not, what about Frost?

What do people think about Trouba - Patrick as a basis for a trade? I only ask because there's other rumours about Flyers being in on ROR and if that happened then Couts, ROR, Patrick, Laughton, Frost, Rubstov is a lot of guys in the middle.

Anyhow, just floating an idea for some feedback and fun. Feel free to offer adds as needed.
Patrick is not available.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Trouba is probably too costly for us. The idea would be to bring him in to bolster that young core, and pieces of that young core would be exactly what Peg would need in return. You guys shouldn’t accept futures and we can’t offer anything but that. Sadly. Cos my lord would that be an insane top 4 for a long time.

Reactions: Snowman

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Morin tbqh

When he returns from his injury he likely will finish the year in the AHL and his contract will then be up.

it's alright tho. Not all of them were gonna pan out and when you hit bigly on Ghost & Provorov and still have Sanheim & Myers who have real potential, it's not that big of a deal.

As a current RFA, Morin needs to be offered a contract first. You have no idea if the terms of the next contract will expire after next season.

Seems like you just want to troll Flyers fans who have optimism for Morin, whose season was unfortunately cut short by injury.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Morin tbqh

Agreed it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but Morin hasn’t taken any kind of step back. He’s a massive person that plays D. It was always going to take years for him. He honestly looked like our best player in the preseason. Obviously management saw something that others didn’t. I heard something about looking too much at the puck when making plays? I thought he looked amazing and didn’t even consider it a possibility he would not make it. He likely won’t play for the team next year bc of injury but will be an impactful player the year after. Maybe playoffs.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Seems like you just want to troll Flyers fans who have optimism for Morin, whose season was unfortunately cut short by injury.
Yes, I want to "troll" my own fanbase because our #11 pick from 5 years ago has played 3 NHL games. That's ridiculous, fam.

I'm just being honest. We have 2 studs on D who panned out big, 2 prospects who have gotten better and progressed each year. Not all of our prospects were gonna pan out it's okay.

If he ever becomes a 3rd pairing guy then cool. That means he will become a dime-a-dozen NHL'er. That's p much his ceiling now. He was worth the risk because *if* he panned out then maybe we had the next Chara/Pronger. It's been 5-years and if he's lucky he could maybe be a poor man's Hal Gill.

but Morin hasn’t taken any kind of step back. He’s a massive person that plays D.
fair, but he also hasn't taken any big steps forward.

Chara was a project, but by the time Chara was Morin's age he had played 250 NHL games and at least had proven he could play in the league. Morin hasn't. Morin was worth the risk because on the chance that it was a hit, it would've been a game changer for the franchise.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Flyers are looking to make a bigger splash, I'd rather we target Ristolainen over Trouba.

Reactions: hatcher

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Yes, I want to"troll" my own fanbase because our #11 pick from years ago has played 3 NHL games. That's ridiculous, fam.

tbh I'm just being honest. We have 2 studs on D who panned out big, 2 prospects who have gotten better and progressed each year. Not all of our prospects were gonna pan out it's okay.

If he ever becomes a 3rd pairing guy then cool. That means he will become a dime-a-dozen NHL'er. That's p much his ceiling now. He was worth the risk because *if* he panned out then maybe we had the next Chara/Pronger. It's been 5-years and if he's lucky he could maybe be a poor man's Hal Gill.

Don't take the bait. Even before the bad injury, Morin was developing into a 3rd pairing, defensive D. Now you add a bad injury and another delay in development to the equation. Like you said - it's ok. The Flyers loaded up on D prospects and based on pure odds, not all of them are going to reach their potential as planned - it happens to every team.

But we're silly if we are content with waiting and waiting and waiting for all these prospects to become high-end contributors. Giroux and Voracek aren't getting any younger. If the Flyers feel their window is in 3-4 more years, fine, then trade G. Hextall needs to make a bold move and I'm in favor of moving a D prospect to do it... in the right deal of course.

Reactions: Sweetbutt

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They clearly should have traded Couturier for a RHD a long time ago "when Laughton made him expendable". :snide:

"You either can skate and have hands or you don't. Couturier doesn't."

Reactions: Tripod and Larry44

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
See, this is where any hockey experts look at the board and never come back or belittle it. You are suggesting Provorov has more value than Dougie Hamilton. Get real.

Provorov easily has more value than Hamilton. The Flyers would never make that trade.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
See, this is where any hockey experts look at the board and never come back or belittle it. You are suggesting Provorov has more value than Dougie Hamilton. Get real.
Uh, yeah. Dougie Hamilton is great and all, but he's never once been a #1 defenseman in the NHL. Provorov has been his team's #1 since he stepped into the league. No one is taking Hamilton over Provorov, get real.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Uh, yeah. Dougie Hamilton is great and all, but he's never once been a #1 defenseman in the NHL. Provorov has been his team's #1 since he stepped into the league. No one is taking Hamilton over Provorov, get real.
Hamilton has been better statistically in every single way. Just stop, your GM would trip trying to fax that in so fast.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hamilton has been better statistically in every single way. Just stop, your GM would trip trying to fax that in so fast.

You have no clue about Hextall. :laugh:

Besides which, at the same age as Provorov is now, Hamilton's best season was 64 games and 25 points.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
You have no clue about Hextall. :laugh:

Besides which, at the same age as Provorov is now, Hamilton's best season was 64 games and 25 points.
And if we're talking about value, Hamilton is UFA in 3 years and will need a massive contract to stay. In 3 years, Provorov will be finishing year 2 of a likely very long term contract probably in the same ballpark Hamilton is making now. That really makes their values not even close, especially to teams looking to compete during that window.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Flames, you're just wrong. We'll never agree but we can discuss in a civil manner. Provorov is a special player, but you truly need to watch him on a nightly basis to understand how great he is. To put it into context, at 19 and logging the most minutes on the back-end, his play was as stellar as T.J. Brodie's when he started his peak at 24. And this was without being sheltered by a Giordano. In addition, Brodie never tied for the lead in goals by a D-Man, and Provorov just did that at 19.

In 2014-15, Brodie was incredible. He scored 11 goals and 41 points and was a +15. He did all of that while virtually playing mistake-free hockey. This season, Provorov scored 17 goals and 41 points... and was a +17... all while virtually playing mistake-free hockey.

Brodie was 24 and his partner was Mark Giordano. Provorov was 19 and the Flyers don't have a prime Giordano to pair with him.

There's nothing about Hamilton's game that is better than Provorov's, and I'm being honest. I happen to like Hamilton a lot too. But Provorov isn't flashy, just like Brodie and Suter. He just does everything borderline perfectly. The reads he makes, and his instincts at 19, are absolutely elite-level. I'm not trying to overdo it here, but he reminds me of a blend of a young Ryan Suter and young Andrei Markov mixed into one. I watched both of them enter the league and develop into stars... and Provorov reminds me of them blended together during their first few years in the league.

Then you add the warrior mentality. Provorov basically played in the playoffs with one freaking arm and battled non-stop. He logged about 30 minutes a night, severely injured, and he broke down to tears afterwards, because he felt he could have done more. Franchises don't trade players like Ivan Provorov unless the return is silly stupid.

And, none of this is to discredit Dougie Hamilton in any way. Hamilton is a high-end defenseman that has a lot of value himself. I would love to have him on the Flyers, but I wouldn't even consider trading Provorov for him.

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad