Friedman: Hextall looking to bring in a right handed defenseman

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I dont think a single rumour has actually been broken by anyone under Hextalls reign. This is just more speculation.

The guy apparently has Minnesota connections, which would imply Minnesota and Flyers were talking. Obviously unconfirmed, but it wouldnt be coming from Hextall's side.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I think Hextall is going to go all out and roll out the red carpet for Roman Polak, the swift skating, stud of a right-handed defenseman the Flyers need.
Would be pretty polak of Hextall to do that.

Edit: Plus everyone knows that Polak will win a job with Maple Leafs in training camp.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What would Ristolainen cost the flyers? Not sure what Buffalo is even looking for nowadays.

Just speculating here, but Buffalo needs wingers IMO. They lost Kane. I think O'Reilly and Ristolainen are expendable pieces in the right deal to address Buffalo's needs. Just spitballing, but I suggested this in another thread...

TO BUF:
- Simmonds
- Laughton
- Lindblom
- Sanheim

TO PHI:
- O'Reilly
- Ristolainen

This gives Buffalo two wingers to support Eichel and Mittelstadt. Laughton is a poor man's O'Reilly and can play 3/4 line center, after Mittelstadt gets the 2nd line C gig. Sanheim, while not as seasoned as Ristolainen, may play a style more suited for Housley - swift skating, fast puck moving.

From the Flyers POV, they add a player they have coveted for a while in the versatile O'Reilly. They also add a much-needed RH defenseman who can play in the top 4 and give PP2 a boost. If the Flyers go with Ghost + 4F on the main PP unit, Provorov + Ristolainen can patrol a lethal PP2.

The Flyers have picks 14 and 19 to address the wing position.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Just speculating here, but Buffalo needs wingers IMO. They lost Kane. I think O'Reilly and Ristolainen are expendable pieces in the right deal to address Buffalo's needs. Just spitballing, but I suggested this in another thread...

TO BUF:
- Simmonds
- Laughton
- Lindblom
- Sanheim

TO PHI:
- O'Reilly
- Ristolainen

This gives Buffalo two wingers to support Eichel and Mittelstadt. Laughton is a poor man's O'Reilly and can play 3/4 line center, after Mittelstadt gets the 2nd line C gig. Sanheim, while not as seasoned as Ristolainen, may play a style more suited for Housley - swift skating, fast puck moving.

From the Flyers POV, they add a player they have coveted for a while in the versatile O'Reilly. They also add a much-needed RH defenseman who can play in the top 4 and give PP2 a boost. If the Flyers go with Ghost + 4F on the main PP unit, Provorov + Ristolainen can patrol a lethal PP2.

The Flyers have picks 14 and 19 to address the wing position.

Buffalo gives up the two best players because why the f*** not.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Buffalo gives up the two best players because why the **** not.
Sounds like a deal the Flyers would like to make. That said, Simmonds is a very good player and the Sabres need wingers. And, would anyone be surprised if Sanheim ends up as good as (or slightly better than) Ristolainen in 2 years? The only thing Sanheim lacks is Ristolainen's massive bomb from the point. He is a big kid, can skate extremely well, and has two-way instincts. I think he could be all-around better in his own end than Ristolainen after a couple of seasons. Don't get me wrong, I really like Ristolainen, but he struggles a bit in his own end and is the Sabres main D by default. We're not talking about a prime Chris Pronger here.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What about something around Dumba for Simmons. Not saying 1 for 1 just a starting point.
No, not even as a starting point. Dumba and Granlund should be completely off limits unless we're getting a center of comparable age and ability coming back, and even then it's not a sure thing.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Flyers offer Simmonds and Gudas for Malkin.

Letang is light years better than Gostisbehere, and he’s a RD, which you need. May have had some nice seasons but give me a break. Sheary gives you about the same offense you’re going to miss out on with the current version of Wayne Simmonds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Letang is light years better than Gostisbehere, and he’s a RD, which you need. May have had some nice seasons but give me a break. Sheary gives you about the same offense you’re going to miss out on with the current version of Wayne Simmonds.

He also makes what? 3 mil more and plays what? 30 games less a year.

Were good. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad