Confirmed with Link: Hertl re-signs to 4 year contract 5.625 AAV

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If we were willing to give that much per year. I'm surprised it's only a four year deal. For that amount annual average. We should've at least gotten five or six years for the deal. The carp hits fine. If it were a bit longer. I figure shorter term he'd get maybe 5-5.25 tops

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Why does it matter, only way we're getting someone is through trade with players going back the other way. Thornton said he'd take a discount if we made a huge FA splash, we didn't so pay him. Hertl was a little expensive 5-5.5 is what I would have liked.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
DW overpaid for a guy that had no leverage in this negotiation. Paid more AAV to buy up less UFA years than expected. Doesn’t seem like a typical DW negotiation. It’s like Oprah since Jt said Toronto. You get an extra million, you get an extra million, everyone gets an extra million over market value.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
We're long gone from the days where DW got steals with Vlasic at 4.5 mill, Pavs and Couture at 6 mill, Jumbo signing below market value all those years. DW's lost his touch with the hometown discounts.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
DW overpaid for a guy that had no leverage in this negotiation. Paid more AAV to buy up less UFA years than expected. Doesn’t seem like a typical DW negotiation. It’s like Oprah since Jt said Toronto. You get an extra million, you get an extra million, everyone gets an extra million over market value.

Since J.T. said Toronto? He started this when he gave Vlasic $7M/8Y and Jones $5.75M/6Y and he didn’t stop after that.

We're long gone from the days where DW got steals with Vlasic at 4.5 mill, Pavs and Couture at 6 mill, Jumbo signing below market value all those years. DW's lost his touch with the hometown discounts.

LONG GONE. Kane, Vlasic, Couture, Hertl, Jones...all overpaid. Even Thornton’s most recent contract isn’t exactly team friendly.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
You're overpaid, you're overpaid, everyone's overpaid! :laugh:

giphy.gif

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Are there any other forwards in the NHL making upwards of $5.5mil without a single 50-point season to their credit?

EDIT: Quick look at CapFriendly indicates the highest paid forward who has never hit 50 points in a season is Martin Hanzal, who signed for three years at $4.75mil as a UFA. I really don't understand this Hertl contract.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I think Hertl is overpaid, but it seems worth mentioning that contracts have all gotten a big bump the last few years. You can play the "has a player that never hit this arbitrary number gotten this much money" in every sport.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Are there any other forwards in the NHL making upwards of $5.5mil without a single 50-point season to their credit?

Probably the same as forwards making $7M without a single 60-point season to their credit in Kane’s case.

But of course, the DW defenders will insist that he is not overpaying anybody. Sigh.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I think Hertl is overpaid, but it seems worth mentioning that contracts have all gotten a big bump the last few years. You can play the "has a player that never hit this arbitrary number gotten this much money" in every sport.

That's a fair point but the Lightning literally just signed JT Miller for a smaller cap hit and an additional year fresh off back-to-back 55+ point seasons.

I would rather have Hertl than Miller but points are ultimately what get you paid in the NHL. What concerns me is this long string of overpayments by Wilson (Vlasic, Jones, Kane, Couture and now Hertl).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Since J.T. said Toronto? He started this when he gave Vlasic $7M/8Y and Jones $5.75M/6Y and he didn’t stop after that.

LONG GONE. Kane, Vlasic, Couture, Hertl, Jones...all overpaid. Even Thornton’s most recent contract isn’t exactly team friendly.

It's almost like salaries rise as the cap rises..crazy.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
That's a crazy number.....wtf dw

Though I called it and it doesn't bother me

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
That's a fair point but the Lightning literally just signed JT Miller for a smaller cap hit and an additional year fresh off back-to-back 55+ point seasons.

I would rather have Hertl than Miller but points are ultimately what get you paid in the NHL.
I agree, I don't love the contract. Wish we would have got him for 5-6 years at that cost. Just don't like comparing current contracts to old ones, see PK Subban -> Drew Doughty, etc etc. On the points thing -> This board is always arguing that Hertl does more then the points show,etc. Doug must have though the same lol

Reactions: Maladroit

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Will be well worth it once he becomes a consistent 65-70 point forward who is able to drive possession. He's probably the 2nd best Shark at that behind Thornton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad