Confirmed with Link: Hertl re-signs to 4 year contract 5.625 AAV

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
So who is Tierney getting traded for then? Need to push speculation to someone else now lol.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Can't wait for this contract to get slaughtered on the main boards by the "lol but he's never even hit 50 points!" crowd.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Good. I was reading some speculation in the other thread about trading Hertl and I was getting a little depressed. You don't trade the guy who might be the heart of your team in 2 years, if not already.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I'm hoping no more then 5 as we are buying 2 rfa years and 2 ufa years

Was a six-year deal. I would have no problem paying 5.5 or six but due to the short term hopefully the AV is better

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
No matter what Hertl is goin..
giphy.gif

dat paper tho.

Reactions: Lebanezer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So who is Tierney getting traded for then? Need to push speculation to someone else now lol.

I still don't understand the ongoing preoccupation with trading Tierney. He's not a high-demand player. He's not going to bring back an elite return or be the centerpiece of any deal that gets made. And without Tavares and the crazy high cap hit he commanded, the team does not need to pinch pennies and move his (still probably manageable) RFA payout in order to keep the budget on track.

At this point he's probably more valuable to the Sharks than as a trade chip unless DW or an arbitrator goes nutso and awards him like a $4m/yr contract. And especially without Tavares and with no guarantees of what sort of other pieces are on hte market, we still kind of need centers for the bottom 6. I do not now nor have I for most of recent history advocate shoving Hertl down to the 3rd line just to "give him his own line" or something.

Kane - Thornton - Pavelski
Couture - Hertl - Meier

There's your no-transactions top 6. Ideally I'd swap Pavs and Meier but I don't think Joe comes back without assurances he'll get to continue riding shotgun with his bestest buddy. Besides, the advantage of this deployment is that both lines basically have two centers on them (Thornton/Pavs, Hertl/Couture) for added flexibility. It's essentially 2 good second lines instead of a traditional setup, but since we're clearly not going to just out-talent everyone on raw ability anymore, they might as well go the depth approach.

Labanc - Tierney -Donskoi becomes your scoring-capable, hard-working (Tierney and Donskoi at least) 3rd line. Then you build a 4th line out of all the leftovers (Goodrow, Sorensen, Melker if he's still here I guess, Suomela, Praplan, Radil, any of Gambrell/Letunov/Balcers if you're hellbent on pushing them up the ladder now even if its miscast into a 4th line role)

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad