Confirmed with Link: Hertl re-signs to 4 year contract 5.625 AAV

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I still don't understand the ongoing preoccupation with trading Tierney. He's not a high-demand player. He's not going to bring back an elite return or be the centerpiece of any deal that gets made. And without Tavares and the crazy high cap hit he commanded, the team does not need to pinch pennies and move his (still probably manageable) RFA payout in order to keep the budget on track.

At this point he's probably more valuable to the Sharks than as a trade chip unless DW or an arbitrator goes nutso and awards him like a $4m/yr contract. And especially without Tavares and with no guarantees of what sort of other pieces are on hte market, we still kind of need centers for the bottom 6. I do not now nor have I for most of recent history advocate shoving Hertl down to the 3rd line just to "give him his own line" or something.

Kane - Thornton - Pavelski
Couture - Hertl - Meier

There's your no-transactions top 6. Ideally I'd swap Pavs and Meier but I don't think Joe comes back without assurances he'll get to continue riding shotgun with his bestest buddy. Besides, the advantage of this deployment is that both lines basically have two centers on them (Thornton/Pavs, Hertl/Couture) for added flexibility. It's essentially 2 good second lines instead of a traditional setup, but since we're clearly not going to just out-talent everyone on raw ability anymore, they might as well go the depth approach.

Labanc - Tierney -Donskoi becomes your scoring-capable, hard-working (Tierney and Donskoi at least) 3rd line. Then you build a 4th line out of all the leftovers (Goodrow, Sorensen, Melker if he's still here I guess, Suomela, Praplan, Radil, any of Gambrell/Letunov/Balcers if you're hellbent on pushing them up the ladder now even if its miscast into a 4th line role)

Personally, and even though I’ve said it every year since our cup run, I still want Hertl with the Joes.

I think now more then ever, Thornton is going to need Hertl to do the heavy lifting physically. Hertl has never scored like he should off of Thornton’s wing. If we want to really maximize both players I really believe they need to be on the same line.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Is this the same negative value that boedker had also?

Except he’s about 3 years older than Boedker, signed for 2 additional years at 7.25MM per year and hasn’t hit 60 points since 2011. Bit of a difference

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Personally, and even though I’ve said it every year since our cup run, I still want Hertl with the Joes.

I think now more then ever, Thornton is going to need Hertl to do the heavy lifting physically. Hertl has never scored like he should off of Thornton’s wing. If we want to really maximize both players I really believe they need to be on the same line.

This is why I would prefer Meier with Thornton/Kane over Pavelski. Hertl doesn't get the offensive chances he should with Thornton, but on a line with Cooch and Pavelski he could be a play driver and setup guy with 2 shooters, plus Couture is reasonably good at playmaking too, enough to return the favor to Hertl. Meanwhile Meier gets to be the physical, rambunctious high-engagement player for Joe and Kane, taking some of the burden off Kane to play a reckless physical game that gets him hurt. Kane morphs into Joe's triggerman, and Timo can feed off of everyone's attention being elsewhere.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Meh 5.7M could look really friendly if the cap keeps goin up. I thought hed get 6M so whatever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad