Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2022-2023 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Assuming Protas, McMichael and Malenstyn make the opening night roster somehow and Suzdalev isn’t eligible, this is what I’ve got off the top of my head. Lots of question marks at the moment. Completely need to rebuild the defense and I would hope they add another quality center if McMichael isn’t being sent down. Not sure if Bogdan is there, but I figured they might want Miro to have a buddy to feel more comfortable

Snively-Sgarbossa-Frank
Miro-Lapierre-Vecchione
Bogdan?-Sutter-Dube
Napravnik-Hofer-Rybinski

LuJo-Iorio
Ness-Hardy Aktell?
X-X

Shepard
Stevenson
I think those 12 forwards are going to be the opening night forwards outside of a surprise (suzdalev in the trineyev spot. bogdan and napravnik is probably a camp battle) as they likely use their vet slots on the defense. Michael Kim is also under contract for what its worth.

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
This is what Chris Patrick said about Suzdalev in a prospect article by Tarik on April 1- “In talking to our amateur guys, he needs to get stronger to be a pro, so that’ll be the next thing for him. He’s going to come to Hershey at the end of his season and we’ll figure it out from there. Given the points he’s put up in junior, he’s probably ready for the next level.”

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Suzdalev is probably ready for the challenge but he'll need a steady top nine role and doesn't exactly play a steady two-way pro game as-is. It'll be really interesting what they end up doing with both Suzdalev and Miroshnichenko. To then also have Trineyev & Hofer ready to turn pro up front makes for a lot of inexperience potentially. Those other two could potentially play fourth-line checking roles but you wonder if Hershey would consistently opt to play four rookies. They're coming off of a Cup win but typically it's not something they'd opt for unless it's a special group. It's a jump for Suzdalev & Miro to earn not just steady depth roles but also PP time to fully develop their offensive game. At this point there doesn't look to be much PP opportunity unless Miro jumps Dube, if CMM/Protas don't return, they don't sign anyone else or don't deal anyone to open up spots.

As far as further signings you'd think there will be two blueline adds at the very least to replace Carlsson/McIlrath. Johansen may be back but the right side in particular needs strengthening.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I think Suzdalev is probably ready for the challenge but he'll need a steady top nine role and doesn't exactly play a steady two-way pro game as-is. It'll be really interesting what they end up doing with both Suzdalev and Miroshnichenko. To then also have Trineyev & Hofer ready to turn pro up front makes for a lot of inexperience potentially. Those other two could potentially play fourth-line checking roles but you wonder if Hershey would consistently opt to play four rookies. They're coming off of a Cup win but typically it's not something they'd opt for unless it's a special group. It's a jump for Suzdalev & Miro to earn not just steady depth roles but also PP time to fully develop their offensive game. At this point there doesn't look to be much PP opportunity unless Miro jumps Dube, if CMM/Protas don't return, they don't sign anyone else or don't deal anyone to open up spots.

As far as further signings you'd think there will be two blueline adds at the very least to replace Carlsson/McIlrath. Johansen may be back but the right side in particular needs strengthening.
Re: Sudz...Guess we'll see if he is ready.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lots of AHL guys still available. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Logan Day brought back. He doesn’t have veteran status and played his way into the lineup down the stretch.

At forward we could potentially see a Riley Barber reunion. There’s also Matthew Phillips who scored 36 goals for Calgary last year and he can play center and wing. Adding another forward who can put the puck in the net would be ideal IMO. Frank and to a lesser extent Sgarbossa are their two goal scorers.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Mac is back...not super excited about that but whatever. The Matt Phillips signing is great though. They got their other big time scorer. He was one off the league lead in goals last season and 5th in total points. I have to wonder if Love played any part in bringing him into the organization.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Matthew Phillips it is, albeit on a 1-way deal. Big Mac is back on a 2 year deal and they officially announced Shep and Dube

That fills there two veteran spots. Phillips is considered an exempt vet status. Adding Day would be ideal. He played well on a pairing with Ness. He also didn’t take his Jersey off after the win for 2-3 days lol so I feel like he could be a guy who wants to try to run it back

swansonsays

Oct 13, 2021
Matthew Phillips it is, albeit on a 1-way deal. Big Mac is back on a 2 year deal and they officially announced Shep and Dube

That fills there two veteran spots. Phillips is considered an exempt vet status. Adding Day would be ideal. He played well on a pairing with Ness. He also didn’t take his Jersey off after the win for 2-3 days lol so I feel like he could be a guy who wants to try to run it back
Phillips being an exempt vet means they have one more vet spot per game? I thought it was six vets, not including goaltenders, with one vet being required to be exempt. Maybe that's a couple of years old and it's changed. I don't keep up with these type rules as much.

I'd have preferred they try to keep Carlsson over Mac, but maybe Gabriel isn't interested in riding a bus from Hershey as a former 1st round pick. Also, I guess Mac fills the "tough guy" role that the average Bears fan clamors for. Got to keep the masses happy.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'm glad Mac is back almost solely because I missed him at all three autograph signings this year. He was the only regular I didn't manage to get besides Protas (who obviously was in DC most of the year)

Reactions: swansonsays

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Lots of AHL guys still available. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Logan Day brought back. He doesn’t have veteran status and played his way into the lineup down the stretch.

At forward we could potentially see a Riley Barber reunion. There’s also Matthew Phillips who scored 36 goals for Calgary last year and he can play center and wing. Adding another forward who can put the puck in the net would be ideal IMO. Frank and to a lesser extent Sgarbossa are their two goal scorers.

Good call on Phillips. He's been looked into previously in trade discussions but it worked out with him becoming an UFA. He's a dynamic offensive player. Here's a good article that discusses him.

McIlrath is a solid signing to bring back. It's for the Bears but he's an excellent presence as captain and in the locker room. And also a good mentor and role model for the young players. Smart move.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
the caps have signed the leading scorer from the rocket (dube), the wranglers (phillips), and the moose (limoges). all three being on the bears would be insane for hershey

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think you've got to start to wonder if they're not positioning themselves to thin out some of these forwards. It's a lot.
it is. and I hope that's it. but it's also true that for a lot of the tweener guys, Hershey's got to be a pretty desirable spot in general and especially right now.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
so now we’re looking at what as far as forwards go
Snively-Phillips-Frank
Limoges-Sgarbossa-Vecchione
Miro-Lapierre-Dube
Napravnik-Sutter-Rybinski
since i’d highly doubt they keep suzdalev in hershey for a fourth line stint

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Wonder if they send Suzdalev back to junior? He wasn’t a black ace for very long during Hershey’s playoff run
Suzdalev having a top-nine role in Hershey this upcoming season would be great. I think he would benefit far more greatly playing minutes there than another year in Juniors. Could there - theoretically - be room for him there? Seems like they are a bit top-nine forward heavy and may need to make a move or two organizationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00