Prospect Info: Hershey Bears/South Carolina Stingrays 2022-2023 Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Anyone have a sense of the line combos we will see for the bears? There appears to be a lot of bodies this year. Assuming the last round of guys clear (Leason/AJF/Johansen/Borgstrom), what would we expect?

Reactions: Misery74

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The real question mark is who are the 4 centers. Lots of guys who can play both center and wing. I’m going to make a lineup assuming all 4 guys clear waivers.

Vecchione-Sgarbossa-Pilon
AJF-Lapierre-Anas
Gersich-Borgstrom-Leason
Malenstyn-Morelli-Rybinski

LuJo-McIlrath
Ness-Iorio
Carlsson-Nardella

Fucale
Shepard

Extra F: Napravnik, Kessy, Sutter, Frank
Extra D: Day and Massie?
IR: Clark (undisclosed injury), Alexeyev, Stevenson

Bear Hughes, Matthew Strome and Jonny Evans as the forwards to South Carolina. Benton Maass and Martin Has to South Carolina to get lots of minutes. Bjorklund is the #1 in SC to start the year.

They have a lot of bodies but a lot more depth compared to last year. The young guys will have to really earn their spots in the lineup, especially with the 4 guys on waivers today. Lots of Right Handed shots. Need some lefties

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The real question mark is who are the 4 centers. Lots of guys who can play both center and wing. I’m going to make a lineup assuming all 4 guys clear waivers.

Vecchione-Sgarbossa-Pilon
AJF-Lapierre-Anas
Gersich-Borgstrom-Leason
Malenstyn-Morelli-Rybinski

LuJo-McIlrath
Ness-Iorio
Carlsson-Nardella

Fucale
Shepard

Extra F: Napravnik, Kessy, Sutter, Frank
Extra D: Day and Massie?
IR: Clark (undisclosed injury), Alexeyev, Stevenson

Bear Hughes, Matthew Strome and Jonny Evans as the forwards to South Carolina. Benton Maass and Martin Has to South Carolina to get lots of minutes. Bjorklund is the #1 in SC to start the year.

They have a lot of bodies but a lot more depth compared to last year. The young guys will have to really earn their spots in the lineup, especially with the 4 guys on waivers today. Lots of Right Handed shots. Need some lefties
Good writeup… thanks for that.

I know they went 0-3 (or 0-2-1) in the preseason. Anything alarming to you?

And of course, we will now be without AJF and Leason so that frees up two spots.

Lastly, I have an unexplainable man crush on Has. Would like to see him in Hersey.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Was there any truth to Lapierre maybe starting at wing? They are short at LW so that might make sense but not sure they wanna develop him there long term

Losing Leason and AJF might free up more time for guys like Rybinski or the college kids

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I really wouldn’t put too much stock into the preseason games. AHL preseason games are always ECHL guys and Camp invites for the most part.

I think Lapierre plays center. He’s more of a natural center compared to the others on the roster who can play both like Anas, Vecchione, Pilon etc.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Looks like Lapierre is playing center. I think he may have more value to us as a wing. But then again, center is a harder position to play so if you give him those minutes he’ll develop better.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
FB_IMG_1665760140622.jpg

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Sonny Milano will be a huge addition to Hershey. They need left handed forwards now that there’s an abundance of righties and Milano will be one of the top threats at the AHL level
Agreed, don't think he stays very long though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Protas and Milano swapped 10 or so games into the season. I think Protas did a fantastic job winning a job out of preseason and they're going to reward him for it but ultimately I think he spends most of the season in Hershey.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed, don't think he stays very long though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Protas and Milano swapped 10 or so games into the season. I think Protas did a fantastic job winning a job out of preseason and they're going to reward him for it but ultimately I think he spends most of the season in Hershey.
Whaaaaaat?! You’re not watching the same Protas I am if you think that.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I watched the game on AHL TV today (because i now hate the NFL that much). I thought Lujo and Carlsson both played well. Nardella was mid to me. I thought Beck looked strong defensively and physically. The #AHL4ever first line looked good as did Anas. Great to see Lapierre get his first!

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
A few observations from the first couple home games...

* The C & A selections were done by a vote of the players. That is how Nelson wanted to handle it.
* Iorio didn't look out of place and shows a lot of promise and potential. A lot of solid skillsets.
* The first line was what was expected from them, but some other players seemed to have good chemistry.
* Lapierre and Frank played well together and with their speed and skills could end up generating some exciting offensive shifts.
** Anas and Gersich also played well together, feeding off each other's speed.
* Lapierre in general was playing both ends of the ice and putting forth effort all over the ice. This will upset some, but CMM didn't show that type of effort in Hershey and mostly hung out looking for offensive opportunities which he has improved on.
* Malenstyn continues to show that he's the prototypical 4th liner for the NHL. Good speed, physical, great penalty killer, and shot blocker.
* Aaron Ness still has the wheels
* It was a little up and down, but the PP showed a lot more movement and quick passing than what the Caps have been showing.

All in all, good weekend for the Bears. Even though there were some rough stretches the talent and style of play shows a lot of potential. Let's see how long this group stays together.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Milano clears waivers. Hershey’s forward lines are going to be stacked. Looking forward to seeing how quickly this group can come together and make some noise. They have legitimate Calder Cup aspirations with the roster they have accumulated so far. Fingers crossed that they don’t get the injury bug like they did last year.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
With Kuznetsov probably looking at a suspension and Brown's possible injury, and taking into account everyone's waiver situation, who do you think they'll call up?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
With Kuznetsov probably looking at a suspension and Brown's possible injury, and taking into account everyone's waiver situation, who do you think they'll call up?
I’m not an expert on roster juggling but Capfriendly has Washington at $0 in cap space and at the max roster limit of 23. They would have to do some roster shuffling to even recall someone. That would mean sending someone down or placing someone on IR. I don’t think they get an emergency roster spot if Kuzy is suspended. They probably just stick it out for the duration of a possible Kuzy suspension knowing they have CMM and Snively that can fill in.

Reactions: Holtbyisms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad