Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey lost it's preseason opener against Albany last night 2-1. Nathan Walker had the only goal for the Bears, a shorthanded goal, and Vanecek was in net. Stuccio tweeted that he was impressed by the play of Boyd, Lewington, and Barber last night and that Boyd is a very smart defensive minded player.

Hershey released Nick D'Agostino, Nick Jones, Miles Koules, and Cole Wilson after the game. Koules and Wilson both are attending SC camp on tryout contracts

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey lost their preseason finale tonight 5-3. Vrana with 2 goal. One from in the slot that went top shelf and another from the right circle on a one timer. Kid is going to light it up this year if he stays in Hershey for the majority of the season. Riley Barber had the other goal for the Bears.

Tim Leone tweeted after the game that Sauve and Shea are headed to SC and Kozun is headed to Missouri of the ECHL. Not sure if Kozun is on a Hershey contract and is being loaned or if he straight up signed in Missouri.

The standouts among the young guys for me were Vrana (obviously), Boyd, Lewington, and Djoos. Wasn't impressed by Bowey at all. He was good on the PP as expected and had a decent game physically, but his decision making and passing need work. I counted at least 5 turnovers or icings that were due to his passing out of his own zone. He's very raw and it will be interesting to see how he progresses working with the veteran guys and Helmer over the course of the season.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Can anyone give any insights into the predicted Hershey lineup?

Would be interesting to see which prospects will get to play where

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Can anyone give any insights into the predicted Hershey lineup?

Would be interesting to see which prospects will get to play where

This is purely me just spitballing because there is a lot of new faces and a lot of recent cuts that didn't get into a Hershey preseason game and one or two more players could be sent down in the next few days/weeks (1 or 2 of Collins, Brown, Galiev)

Bourque-Camper-Carey
Vrana-Stephenson-Barber
Walker-Boyd-Gazely
O'Brien-Sill-Mitchell
Fyten

Moore-Bowey
Ness-Carrick
Stanton-Burgdoerfer
Djoos
Lewington

Peters
Ellis

Defense is going to be the toughest to sort out. I don't see them carrying 8 defensemen and having a prospect possibly sitting a majority of the time. My guess is that one of Djoos/Lewington get sent to SC to start out and more than likely I would guess Lewington based on the fact that there are already guys who play a similar role as a more stay at home guy.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
South Carolina tweeted out that Austin Fyten has been assigned to them by Hershey. Hershey tweeted today that they cannot announce their final roster until tomorrow according to AHL by laws so it was surprising to see the tweet by SC. If this is true, it means that Caleb Herbet has made the Bears opening night roster. Look for more information to be released tomorrow afternoon.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The complete 2015-16*Hershey Bears*team roster is as follows, and is also attached:

GOALTENDERS (2):** Dan Ellis, Justin Peters

DEFENSEMEN (8):* ** Madison Bowey, Erik Burgdoerfer, Connor Carrick, Christian Djoos, Tyler Lewington, Mike Moore, Aaron Ness, Ryan Stanton

FORWARDS (13):***** Riley Barber, Travis Boyd, Chris Bourque, Carter Camper, Paul Carey, Dustin Gazley, Caleb Herbert, Garrett Mitchell, Liam O’Brien, Chandler Stephenson, Zach Sill, Jakub Vrana, Nathan Walker

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Mitchell is a great choice for the "C". A tough decision for Mann with 2 former captains (Moore in Providence, Ness in Bridgeport). I'm sure Ness will be a fill in for the "A" if anyone is scratched or gets hurt

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Good mix for the Bears this year it seems. Old (but not very...aside the tenders) and young sprinkled in.

Interested to see how they work the D rotation.

Burakovsky95*

Would love to see Vrana-Stephenson-Barber light it up this year. How are we expecting the PP lines to look?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Would love to see Vrana-Stephenson-Barber light it up this year. How are we expecting the PP lines to look?

seems like it might be a forward line of camper, vrana and bourque based off the last preseason game.

First Period: 1, Hershey, Vrana (Bourque, Carey), 12:16 (pp). Penalties—Ellis, Her, served by Carey (interference), 7:27; Petrecki, WBS (interference), 10:35.

obviously speculation

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
seems like it might be a forward line of camper, vrana and bourque based off the last preseason game.

obviously speculation

That was before a lot of the guys were sent down.

I would guess it would be something similar to these lines. Bourque usually is at the "Ovi spot" on the PP or at the point. His bread and butter is being arguably the best PP QB in the league. I would expect something similar to these lines until Hershey gets one of the 3 guys from Washington (Galiev, Brown, Collins)

Vrana-Camper-X(Carey, Barber)

Bourque-Carrick

O'Brien-Stephenson-X(Carey, Barber)

Ness-Bowey

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Good mix for the Bears this year it seems. Old (but not very...aside the tenders) and young sprinkled in.

Interested to see how they work the D rotation.

This is going to be very interesting. Not sure how this plays out exactly, especially with Mann already comparing Shea (sent to SC after the last preseason game) to Burgdoerfer's rise from the ECHL to full time AHL duty last season. Maybe they do D pairings that each have a young player and a veteran? Who knows.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So long as all of Bowey, Carrick, Lewington, and Djoos see regular action somewhere, I'll be happy. Lewington might have to go to the Stingrays for that to happen, unfortunately.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So long as all of Bowey, Carrick, Lewington, and Djoos see regular action somewhere, I'll be happy. Lewington might have to go to the Stingrays for that to happen, unfortunately.
Lewington seems to be the most likely candidate to be sent to SC. It might be good for him to play top minutes there rather than be in a constant rotation (or not) in Hershey. Mann didn't seem to change the defensive lineup too much last season when everyone was healthy.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Bears win 5-1

Barber w/ 2 goals
Vrana w/ 2 assists
Stephenson w/ 1 assist

https://thehersheybears.wordpress.com/2015/10/10/in-game-update-bears-2-at-falcons-1-end-1st/

The line of Jakub Vrana – Carter Camper – Riley Barber was tremedous as well… and what made me thrilled was watching them play without the puck. They back-checked aggressively and it paid off. Barber is now just 18 goals away from matching his last season at Miami of Ohio – and he has 75 more games to get them.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Didn't watch the Bears game but kept up with the tweets. Looks like they had a great opener and I can't wait to see them in person on the 24th.

South Carolina announced today that Koules was released from his ECHL contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad