Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
South Carolina signed goaltender David Jacobson to a try out agreement. Jacobson is the former DIII player of the year.

ECHL MVP Jeff Jakaitis signed overseas in Norway with Lørenskog

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bears signed two depth defensemen today in Joey Leach and Bobby Shea. Both spent a majority of last season in the ECHL so I'm assuming they are SC bound. Leach played in Bakersfield two seasons ago when Mann was the head coach so don't rule out the possibility that he could be a depth guy in Hershey (Burgdoerfer played for Mann in Bakersfield as well).

South Carolina announced that they resigned gritty defenseman Marcus Perrier and assistant Ryan Warsofsky would return for a third season behind the bench.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Joel Broda signed with HC Bolzano where he will play with former Bear Matt Pope.

R.J. Boyd (Manchest Monarchs) and Sean Dolan (Germany) both signed with new teams after spending parts of last season with South Carolina

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
South Carolina has signed multiple players in the last few days. They have come to terms with D Nick Jones, F Derek DeBlois, and G Mark Dekanich

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Caps never signed him, IIRC, so this is indicative that the organization as a whole has moved on from him, yes?

Exactly. Plus, from everything I read (Stingrays fans can correct me) he was in and out of their lineup last season and had some injury problems. He never looked good in any of his Hershey preseason games last season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Stingrays announced an enforcer player signing for tomorrow at noon with NHL experience. Did a little digging on the image provided in their tweet that was altered and it seems that the player they are referring to is Trevor Gillies formerly of the NY Islanders. He is most known for his role in the big Islanders-Penguins scrum where he was standing over a defenseless Tangradi and yelling at him after he was kicked from the game for gooning it up

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Stingrays announced an enforcer player signing for tomorrow at noon with NHL experience. Did a little digging on the image provided in their tweet that was altered and it seems that the player they are referring to is Trevor Gillies formerly of the NY Islanders. He is most known for his role in the big Islanders-Penguins scrum where he was standing over a defenseless Tangradi and yelling at him after he was kicked from the game for gooning it up

Funny story about Gillies, he plays pick-up hockey over the summer at an ice rink in Columbia, South Carolina. My younger brother lives in that area and is a goalie and has played with him a couple of times. Always the best skater on the ice according to my brother.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Funny story about Gillies, he plays pick-up hockey over the summer at an ice rink in Columbia, South Carolina. My younger brother lives in that area and is a goalie and has played with him a couple of times. Always the best skater on the ice according to my brother.

That's a cool story and kind of surprising. I wouldn't think a tough guy would be that great of a skater.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
The Hockey News has ranked the Hershey Bears logo #1 in the AHL.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ahl-logo-ranking-no-1-hershey-bears/

Current Logo: But the Bears’ current logo is exceptional. Not only is it the best in the franchise’s history, it currently stands as the best in the league. What’s not to love about this crest?

The combination of the cream color with two shades of brown makes it look like a classic logo, while the choice of white for ‘Bears’ makes the team’s name pop. The bear doesn’t have the fine detail that could make it look cluttered, yet there’s enough detail that it doesn’t really feel like this logo will ever really need to undergo a change.

It’s hard to make a logo look new and still have that classic feel, but the Bears accomplished that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Dane Byers has signed with Ilves of the Finish league. Eliteprospects lists it as a tryout contract and I'm guessing that's because of coming off the shoulder injury. Byers leadership and grit will definitely be missed next season. Truly up there as one of the best Hershey captains since the Washington affiliation

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Dane Byers has signed with Ilves of the Finish league. Eliteprospects lists it as a tryout contract and I'm guessing that's because of coming off the shoulder injury. Byers leadership and grit will definitely be missed next season. Truly up there as one of the best Hershey captains since the Washington affiliation
And then there was Boyd Kane who was the most underappreciated captain the Bears ever had. By that, I mean fans and not teammates.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
And then there was Boyd Kane who was the most underappreciated captain the Bears ever had. By that, I mean fans and not teammates.

I actually really liked Boyd Kane. He would be on my short list as best captains along with Arsene and Laing. Fans most likely didn't like him because he was constantly running his mouth (sometimes cost us a penalty) and he never really got into the rough stuff.

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78

I actually really liked Boyd Kane. He would be on my short list as best captains along with Arsene and Laing. Fans most likely didn't like him because he was constantly running his mouth (sometimes cost us a penalty) and he never really got into the rough stuff.

I saw Kane fight once against D. J. Smith - staying away from the rough stuff was a good idea. :D

Kane had a tendency to take dumb penalties during the regular season, but when playoff time came, he cleaned up big-time. I saw a lot of times where he'd get the other team's guy to take a dumb penalty while Boyd just skated away. He was a solid leader and a great locker room influence on the younger players

My hope is that Byers plays a full season in Finland, shows he's fully recovered, then comes back to Chocolatetown for 2016.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's a cool story and kind of surprising. I wouldn't think a tough guy would be that great of a skater.

It just goes to show how far above the average player professional, and especially NHL, players are. Even the bangers are much better hockey players in every aspect than we will ever be.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It just goes to show how far above the average player professional, and especially NHL, players are. Even the bangers are much better hockey players in every aspect than we will ever be.

100% agree but at the same time we are talking about the noted hockey hotbed of Columbia, South Carolina. Obviously I'm stereotyping but...

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I loved Kane. Always seemed to have a good read on the team. Penalties never bothered me too much. There was some dumbs ones in there, but there were a bunch of giving the true idiot refs what they deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad