Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Didn't watch the Bears game but kept up with the tweets. Looks like they had a great opener and I can't wait to see them in person on the 24th.

South Carolina announced today that Koules was released from his ECHL contract.
The talent from the young guys should be a good show at the very least.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lots of moves today. Chandler Stephenson recalled to Washington, Sean Collins reassigned, Tyler Lewington sent to SC, and Mark Dekanich signed to an AHL deal by Hershey.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
South Carolina released their opening night roster:

FORWARDS: Joe Devin, Brett Cameron, Kyle Kraemer, Max Sauve, Austin Fyten, Patrick Gaul, Pete Massar, Colin Mulvey, Andrew Johnston, Trevor Gillies, David Pacan

DEFENSEMEN: Reid Campbell, Nick Jones, Nick D'Agostino, Joey Leach, Marcus Perrier, Bobby Shea, Wade Epp, Brendan Ellis

GOALIES: Vitek Vanecek, Mark Dekanich

Edit: This doesn't include Tyler Lewington who was reassigned today

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Hey guys... I'm a fan of Medvescak Zagreb, last year Dex played for us in KHL...just wondering where you see him, as a starter or backup?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hey guys... I'm a fan of Medvescak Zagreb, last year Dex played for us in KHL...just wondering where you see him, as a starter or backup?

My guess is that SC goes with a 1A 1B situation with Vanecek adjusting to the NA lifestyle and game. His main role is going to be mentoring Vanecek and will be available if Hershey needs a recall option during the season.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Holy honk. Leone just tweeted that he's left Pennlive. Didn't see that coming.

Saw that this morning. A lot of the older local writers who have been big in their respective sports coverage areas are starting to slowly leave PennLive. It seems like the new owners of the paper want fresh new faces with the new digital age. I can only speculate that there was some tension between him and management. I'm sure he will get picked up somewhere. Always liked reading his stories

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey dropped both games this weekend to Portland. They lost 4-2 on Saturday with goals from Gazely and Vrana and 5-2 on Sunday with goals from Carey and Barber. Bowey and Walker were scratched Sunday so Herbert and Djoos could make their season debuts. Peters had the net Saturday and Ellis on Sunday. The Bears drop to 1-2 on the season with their home opener this weekend.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey plays Hartford in back to back games Saturday and Sunday. The NYR just sent down Tanner Glass to Hartford this week after he cleared waivers. I'm sure we will see one of the Bears "tough guys" (Mitchell, Sill, O'Brien) scrap with Glass if he is indeed in the lineup

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Hershey plays Hartford in back to back games Saturday and Sunday. The NYR just sent down Tanner Glass to Hartford this week after he cleared waivers. I'm sure we will see one of the Bears "tough guys" (Mitchell, Sill, O'Brien) scrap with Glass if he is indeed in the lineup

IMO, they'll be concentrating more on getting their games together. Besides, O'Brien should not fight unless he's got a gun to his head. He only survived his go in Portland because he executed a wrestling takedown on Racine. He seems to enjoy fighting, but he's not any good at it.

My guess is also that Glass will be working on his game trying to get back to the NHL. The Bears will be the smaller team nearly every game out this season, and should concentrate on the game if they want to have any success at all.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
IMO, they'll be concentrating more on getting their games together. Besides, O'Brien should not fight unless he's got a gun to his head. He only survived his go in Portland because he executed a wrestling takedown on Racine. He seems to enjoy fighting, but he's not any good at it.

My guess is also that Glass will be working on his game trying to get back to the NHL. The Bears will be the smaller team nearly every game out this season, and should concentrate on the game if they want to have any success at all.

You might be right, but my view of it was that it's the opening weekend (which usually means a big crowd) and it's two games against Hartford who knocked them out of the playoffs in a tough series. Emotions are going to run high and Glass is known for the rough stuff.

Either way I'm hoping for a fun weekend of hockey and I'm excited to see how the Bears utilize their giant new toy (Scoreboard)

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey wins tonight 1-0 in Utica. The lone goal was scored by Garrett Mitchell, assisted by Carrick and Carey. Peters had 19 saves for his 2nd shutout as a Bear (Had one last season in his conditioning stint).

Hershey's home opener is tomorrow night at 7PM. I will do a little write up on my thoughts and I will try to keep it primarily about the prospects

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey won tonight 3-2 in OT off a PP goal by Chris Bourque. The biggest news of the night came before the game when Doug Yingst announced he plans to retire as GM at the end of the season, ending one of the best eras in the history of the team.

Lines:

Bourque-Camper-Carey
Vrana-Boyd-Barber
Collins-Sill-Gazely
O'Brien-Walker-Mitchell

Moore-Bowey
Ness-Carrick
Stanton-Burgdoerfer

Ellis

My three stars:
*Bourque
**Boyd
***Mitchell/O'Brien

The line of Vrana-Boyd-Barber didn't have much playing time through two periods and honestly they looked rough. There seemed to be no chemistry between them and they just didn't get going. Boyd ended up having 2 PP points (1G, 1A) on the night and looked better in the 3rd when he was with different line mates. Vrana coughed the puck up too much for my liking. Barber didn't exactly stand out to me but that could be due to the lack of 5 on 5 time. Both Barber and Vrana looked good on the PP and Vrana had some nice passes. His vision and passing is one of his best assets. Nathan Walker played center tonight and he looked a bit overwhelmed during 5 on 5 play but was great on the PK and used his speed to his advantage many times during the game. Mitchell and O'Brien were great on the PK and on the forecheck. Liam needs to hit the weight room if he plans on being a "tough guy" though. Too many times he would be out muscled or would bounce off a guy when trying to dish out a big hit. He definitely looks improved from last season. In the 3rd period Mann had a shutdown line of O'Brien-Sill-Mitchell who hopefully stay together for most of the year because they were a nuisance to the top line of Hartford.

I didn't pay too much attention to the defensive guys tonight and will try to get a better read on them for tomorrow. I did notice Bowey seems to be a bit hesitant. I think he has found out that the plays he was making at the junior level against kids aren't going to work against men in the AHL. Both him and Carrick seemed to have a good game defensively and made a few nice plays in their own end. Djoos was scratched tonight.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Hershey won tonight 3-2 in OT off a PP goal by Chris Bourque. The biggest news of the night came before the game when Doug Yingst announced he plans to retire as GM at the end of the season, ending one of the best eras in the history of the team.

Lines:

Bourque-Camper-Carey
Vrana-Boyd-Barber
Collins-Sill-Gazely
O'Brien-Walker-Mitchell

Moore-Bowey
Ness-Carrick
Stanton-Burgdoerfer

Ellis

My three stars:
*Bourque
**Boyd
***Mitchell/O'Brien

The line of Vrana-Boyd-Barber didn't have much playing time through two periods and honestly they looked rough. There seemed to be no chemistry between them and they just didn't get going. Boyd ended up having 2 PP points (1G, 1A) on the night and looked better in the 3rd when he was with different line mates. Vrana coughed the puck up too much for my liking. Barber didn't exactly stand out to me but that could be due to the lack of 5 on 5 time. Both Barber and Vrana looked good on the PP and Vrana had some nice passes. His vision and passing is one of his best assets. Nathan Walker played center tonight and he looked a bit overwhelmed during 5 on 5 play but was great on the PK and used his speed to his advantage many times during the game. Mitchell and O'Brien were great on the PK and on the forecheck. Liam needs to hit the weight room if he plans on being a "tough guy" though. Too many times he would be out muscled or would bounce off a guy when trying to dish out a big hit. He definitely looks improved from last season. In the 3rd period Mann had a shutdown line of O'Brien-Sill-Mitchell who hopefully stay together for most of the year because they were a nuisance to the top line of Hartford.

I didn't pay too much attention to the defensive guys tonight and will try to get a better read on them for tomorrow. I did notice Bowey seems to be a bit hesitant. I think he has found out that the plays he was making at the junior level against kids aren't going to work against men in the AHL. Both him and Carrick seemed to have a good game defensively and made a few nice plays in their own end. Djoos was scratched tonight.

I really appreciate the comprehensive updates! Don't get to follow Hershey as much as I would like and your updates are solid summaries of what is transpiring up there. Thanks!

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
No problem guys. Hershey plays against Hartford again tonight at 5PM. I'm expecting Peters to have the net tonight after the shutout on Friday against Utica

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey lost 3-2 in the shootout to Hartford tonight. Bowey and Vrana had the goals, Vrana's coming with 12.1 seconds left in the third on a 6 on 5 EN situation for Hershey. Highlights below.

Quick Notes:

-Bowey had a good game on both ends of the ice. Was more confident on the puck tonight and his goal was a knuckler from just inside the blueline
-Djoos & Herbert made their home debuts. Djoos is one of those guys that you don't really notice because he's just solid and that's a good thing. Herbert on the other hand was pretty bad and he will more than likely be sent to SC once someone gets sent from Washington and possibly could be flip flopped with one of Fyten/Sauve.
-The Vrana-Boyd-Barber line was solid and put up a lot of pressure. Vrana had an ok game, but it's clear that he isn't at the same level he was during the playoffs last season. His one timer to send the game to OT was a beauty. Barber showed off his skill level tonight and I'm excited to see him develop this season.
-Peters had a solid game and definitely kept Hershey in it till the end. Wasn't great in the shootout though

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Damn, wanted to see how Bowey play against the same team to see if it really was him being tentative Saturday. Sounds like that was the case. I think I picked the wrong year to drop down to 1/2 year season tickets with all the young guys. :laugh:

Carrick needs to really find/figure things out if he wants back in the NHL. I know D can take a bit longer, but I wasn't seeing much improvement and now with Bowey…

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Damn, wanted to see how Bowey play against the same team to see if it really was him being tentative Saturday. Sounds like that was the case. I think I picked the wrong year to drop down to 1/2 year season tickets with all the young guys. :laugh:

Carrick needs to really find/figure things out if he wants back in the NHL. I know D can take a bit longer, but I wasn't seeing much improvement and now with Bowey…

Bowey was a lot better Sunday night and more confident on the puck, which was great to see. I only got to make it out to the one preseason game that he played in and he didn't look that impressive then either.

I thought Carrick had a pretty good game on Saturday night. His offensive game wasn't anything special but he seemed to be improved from a defensive standpoint and that's what he should focus on this season if he wants a shot in Washington. He definitely looks a little uncomfortable on the PP this season with Bourque QBing the PP from the point and Carrick floating around in the slot area. Wasn't too impressed with that PP structure overall.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bobby Farnham was claimed by the NJD who are now coached by former WBS coach John Hynes. Looks like we won't have to deal with his shenanigans again this season.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Bobby Farnham was claimed by the NJD who are now coached by former WBS coach John Hynes. Looks like we won't have to deal with his shenanigans again this season.

However, if he doesn't stay in New Jersey and the Devils put him on waivers the Pens could reclaim him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad