Hershey (AHL) and South Carolina (ECHL) 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Washington/Hershey signed defensemen Ryan Stanton today to a 1 year, 2 way contract. This one is interesting because Stanton has spent the last 2 seasons in the NHL full time and also plays LD like Chorney and Schmidt. My guess is that Chorney and Stanton battle it out for the 7D spot with Stanton most likely ending up in Hershey. A good depth signing and a good guy to have around to mentor the young D in Hershey. If he does end up in Hershey that leaves their LD depth chart at Moore, Stanton, Ness, and Djoos and the RD depth chart as Carrick, Burgdoerfer, Bowey, Lewington.

South Carolina also resigned D Wade Epp today. If I remember correctly, I believe he attended Caps development camp last season

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Stanton signing shuts the door for a Dane Byers return. Looks like Hershey will have someone else wearing the "C" next season and the leading candidates are Mike Moore and Garrett Mitchell.

Pretty surprised that Byers and Newbury haven't signed with a team yet and that Landry is still a FA due to his non vet status.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If my memory serves me correctly, I believe he was more of a penalty killer/agitator for WBS and less of a scrapper. According to his HockeyFights page he hasn't fought anyone on Hershey since the 2011-12 season, where he fought Garrett Mitchell and Kevin Marshall. He averages about 7 fights a year in the AHL which isn't necessarily enforcer numbers. Decent pickup but hoping for more to really compete against the teams in our newly renovated division next season.

Sill is probably one of the better middleweight fighters around, he throws with more power than you'd expect given his size and he's very good technically. He intentionally starts fights throwing from his weaker side to get his opponent to open up, as soon as they do he switches hands and they're in trouble.

He's apparently a great locker room guy that's loved by his teammates, which is probably a big part of why he stuck with the NHL Pens for as long as he did last season.

He was one of WBS' main PKers during his time there, but didn't PK as much in the NHL because there were so many people in front of him. He'll be a good role player for Hersey, but if he's given more than spot duty in the NHL you'll be frustrated with him. His puck skills are negligible and his skating is also an issue, he could play without a stick and you wouldn't notice the difference.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sill is probably one of the better middleweight fighters around, he throws with more power than you'd expect given his size and he's very good technically. He intentionally starts fights throwing from his weaker side to get his opponent to open up, as soon as they do he switches hands and they're in trouble.

He's apparently a great locker room guy that's loved by his teammates, which is probably a big part of why he stuck with the NHL Pens for as long as he did last season.

He was one of WBS' main PKers during his time there, but didn't PK as much in the NHL because there were so many people in front of him. He'll be a good role player for Hersey, but if he's given more than spot duty in the NHL you'll be frustrated with him. His puck skills are negligible and his skating is also an issue, he could play without a stick and you wouldn't notice the difference.

Thank you for the update. That's good to hear about Sill. He sounds like a good pickup for the Bears

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Okay, this is more me just being bored than anything, but the Bears now have at least one ex-player (yes, there are a few multiples) from every other team in their division who could play in Hershey this season.

Bridgeport - Aaron Ness
Hartford - Chris Bourque
Lehigh Valley - Austin Fyten
Portland - Chris Brown
Providence - Mike Moore
Springfield - Carter Camper
Wilkes-Barre - Zack Sill

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
South Carolina has announced that they signed F Kyle Kraemer today.

Also, in Tim Leone's Pennlive article for today he mentions that Carter Camper is most likely going to be the #1C going into the season for the Bears

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
More spitballing - This is what it COULD look like (and this assumes Galiev wins a spot in DC):

1) Camper, Bourque, Carey
2) Stevenson, Vrana, Barber
3) Brown, Gazley, Collins
4) Mitchell, O’Brien, Sill

Looking for spots: Boyd, Walker, Fyten, Herbert

If Sill makes the Caps, a spot opens. Brown, with his shortcomings, is a longshot, but that would open another place. Could at the very least make for a fun camp.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
More spitballing - This is what it COULD look like (and this assumes Galiev wins a spot in DC):

1) Camper, Bourque, Carey
2) Stevenson, Vrana, Barber
3) Brown, Gazley, Collins
4) Mitchell, O’Brien, Sill

Looking for spots: Boyd, Walker, Fyten, Herbert

If Sill makes the Caps, a spot opens. Brown, with his shortcomings, is a longshot, but that would open another place. Could at the very least make for a fun camp.

Vrana-Stephenson-Barber looks like a fun line. Excited if that ends up being the case. :)

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Vrana-Stephenson-Barber looks like a fun line. Excited if that ends up being the case. :)

You and me both. They may start the season # 3 if it goes this way, but I love Stephenson - he showed a lot and was getting better as the season went on - and Vrana's a skilled player, so I could see them getting moved up over time. It could be a very nice mix of vets and kids this season.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey has signed forward Max Sauve to an AHL contract for next season. Sauve played last season for Kölner Haie in Germany.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey still hasn't announced the Fyten signing. I wonder if the deal could possibly fall through. You would think they would have announced by now if the contract was officially signed

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
Pre season slate is out. Only two games this year, both at home:

Thursday, October 1 - Albany (7:00)
Saturday, October 3 - Wilkes-Barre (7:00)

Surprising that there are (A) no road games, and (B) that they chose Albany as an opponent for one. Can't remember the last time either of those things happened.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Pre season slate is out. Only two games this year, both at home:

Thursday, October 1 - Albany (7:00)
Saturday, October 3 - Wilkes-Barre (7:00)

Surprising that there are (A) no road games, and (B) that they chose Albany as an opponent for one. Can't remember the last time either of those things happened.

or a Thur game

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Hershey still hasn't announced the Fyten signing. I wonder if the deal could possibly fall through. You would think they would have announced by now if the contract was officially signed

Anybody have any idea about Fyten? Doesn't seem to be skilled or particularly nasty - what does Hershey see in him? Strictly South Carolina depth?

The Fyten signing has been officially announced (I believe this morning). No idea about him as a player, though.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't remember him from Lehigh Valley (who was bad last year) so I'm assuming he is going to compete for a bottom 6 role/depth spot or be sent to SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad