Confirmed with Link: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin & Roberto Luongo are 2022 inductees for the Hockey Hall of Fame

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Would have definitely been a nightmare offensively but that defensive element was such an important part of the Sedins elevation from top-line scorers to Hall of Famers. In many ways Burrows was already a perfect partner and you’d just need to identify someone with an even higher offensive ceiling without losing the defense.

The Sedins were never that good defensively. They weren’t necessarily bad but it just didn’t fit their gameplan. They wanted to possess the puck for as long as they could and wear everyone wide out. There’s an interview from a while back where Burrows was asked why he fit with the Sedins. He didn’t fit the expected profile at all but he mentioned two key elements: get them the puck (so he was responsible for the defensive side of things) and get open. Since the Sedins were in constant motion, he knew that he too had to be in constant motion. Find the invisible seems, chip the puck back to them to keep the cycle going, and just get into the right spot at the right time instead of waiting for them to find him. Alfredsson could certainly do that offensively but I don’t think he could replicate Burrows extremely commitment to making sure the Sedins always had the puck.

i guess what i'm getting at is, of any star player of that era, alfredsson is the closest to burrows. what other star was as skilled a puck retriever and as determined a turnover causer as alfredsson? which star winger could lock an opposing forward down like alfredsson could? who else had such an indomitable motor? he wasn't burrows, but he was the closest thing among the stars.

imo where you would really lose if you replaced burrows with alfie is on the PK. he was a good penalty killer, but he wasn't the best PK forward of his generation like burrows. but that's not a sedin-compatible situation, of course.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
In other words, Alex Burrows was the hockey version of the archetypal '80s movie girl-next-door who the hunky lead never thinks of romantically until he has a late epiphany and realizes she was the right one after all (usually because she lets her hair down and turns out to be Beautiful All Along.™)
The all time greatest gif to come from less popular girl gets popular guy is…

A5697B9F-369B-48C0-8F25-3E708FE99FF2.gif

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I wonder if there is a bit of a make up call by the nhl for them not getting a good clean shot at the cup.

It would be interesting to see if star players find it easier to get nominated when they have not got cups compared to if they have, especially if they were the nhls chosen team when they won
The NHL has nothing to do with Hall of Fame inductions.

The strongest thing that was in the twins favour is Brian Burke is on the selection committee. Cementing their legacy helps cement his legacy. Lord knows he spent years in the media mythologizing his part in drafting them and now he gets to swoop in and vote them into the Hall of Fame to seal the deal.

Now he gets to brag about how he drafted 1st Ballot Hall of Famers instead of just super stars.

Not that Henrik and Daniel don't deserve it. But this is the least useless Burke has been to us since he drafted them in the first place.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
For me the twins were no brainers but I am in the minority when it comes to Luongo who I think was very good but not quite good enough. Is there another goalie in the hall that never won an individual award in the NHL?
i was reading an article on the Athletic that put it into perspective for me: it's unlikely there will ever be a 1000 game played goaltender ever again. Goalies these days start the NHL too late and have their starts managed too much.

Current Vezina winner Shesterkin got 36 wins this year. He's 26 currently. Lets say for the next 11 years, if he gets 36 wins every season... This would still not be enough to topple Luongo's 4th All Time Win Record.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
i guess what i'm getting at is, of any star player of that era, alfredsson is the closest to burrows. what other star was as skilled a puck retriever and as determined a turnover causer as alfredsson? which star winger could lock an opposing forward down like alfredsson could? who else had such an indomitable motor? he wasn't burrows, but he was the closest thing among the stars.

imo where you would really lose if you replaced burrows with alfie is on the PK. he was a good penalty killer, but he wasn't the best PK forward of his generation like burrows. but that's not a sedin-compatible situation, of course.
To answer your rhetorical question, my fantasy Burrows replacement was always Zach Parise.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The NHL has nothing to do with Hall of Fame inductions.

The strongest thing that was in the twins favour is Brian Burke is on the selection committee. Cementing their legacy helps cement his legacy. Lord knows he spent years in the media mythologizing his part in drafting them and now he gets to swoop in and vote them into the Hall of Fame to seal the deal.

Now he gets to brag about how he drafted 1st Ballot Hall of Famers instead of just super stars.

Not that Henrik and Daniel don't deserve it. But this is the least useless Burke has been to us since he drafted them in the first place.

i bet they would trade this honour for the cup burke's megalomaniacal ass did its best to wrest from them

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Would have definitely been a nightmare offensively but that defensive element was such an important part of the Sedins elevation from top-line scorers to Hall of Famers. In many ways Burrows was already a perfect partner and you’d just need to identify someone with an even higher offensive ceiling without losing the defense.

The Sedins were never that good defensively. They weren’t necessarily bad but it just didn’t fit their gameplan. They wanted to possess the puck for as long as they could and wear everyone wide out. There’s an interview from a while back where Burrows was asked why he fit with the Sedins. He didn’t fit the expected profile at all but he mentioned two key elements: get them the puck (so he was responsible for the defensive side of things) and get open. Since the Sedins were in constant motion, he knew that he too had to be in constant motion. Find the invisible seems, chip the puck back to them to keep the cycle going, and just get into the right spot at the right time instead of waiting for them to find him. Alfredsson could certainly do that offensively but I don’t think he could replicate Burrows extremely commitment to making sure the Sedins always had the puck.
They didn't have to be with a dedicated defensive player like Burrows (who's likely bad reputation cost him some Selke votes - he was THAT good defensively). That he could pop-in goals was like gravy.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
They didn't have to be with a dedicated defensive player like Burrows (who's likely bad reputation cost him some Selke votes - he was THAT good defensively). That he could pop-in goals was like gravy.

best defensive winger of his generation, best pk forward of his generation, tbh playing with kesler and briefly malhotra probably cost him serious selke recognition more than his reputation

that and i think no winger really was taken seriously in selke voting between jere lehtinen and mark stone

kesler had basically the same rep

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
best defensive winger of his generation, best pk forward of his generation, tbh playing with kesler and briefly malhotra probably cost him serious selke recognition more than his reputation

that and i think no winger really was taken seriously in selke voting between jere lehtinen and mark stone

kesler had basically the same rep

Burrows should have been a multi-times Selke finalist and his career should be viewed on par with Lehtinen.

But as you say, he suffered from vote splitting, suffered from being a winger, and suffered from his reputation in the media.

The shift to 'only Cs may be considered for the Selke' coincided with the introduction of the faceoff % stat - Lehtinen was the last winger to sneak in under the wire on that one. It's funny because the award was created because of Bob Gainey, who was a winger.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think he will. The games played threshold was always a big one for me, but he played more games in a Canuck uniform than Pavel Bure did, so there is precedent.

Given the extremely low standard we've had for retiring numbers in the past, it would be weird to not have a guy's number retired who reached the HHOF primarily on his play as a Canuck.

Would also be a bit weird to have #1 both retired and in the ROH for McLean, though.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Florida already retired his number so not sure how that would affect the dynamics of us possibly doing it.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
my guess is lu (sooner rather than later) goes into the ROH as the highest benchmark of what separates a jersey retirement from a ring induction. which seems fine - if he played here for longer (ie. pekka rinne) had left on better terms (ryan miller in buffalo) or won the cup (fleury in pittsburgh), i think he gets the bigger distinction.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
my guess is lu (sooner rather than later) goes into the ROH as the highest benchmark of what separates a jersey retirement from a ring induction. which seems fine - if he played here for longer (ie. pekka rinne) had left on better terms (ryan miller in buffalo) or won the cup (fleury in pittsburgh), i think he gets the bigger distinction.

They've never given #1 to anyone else since Luongo left 8 years ago.

I'm guessing they were waiting for the recapture stuff to be done with before looking at a number retirement, because - let's face it - that would have been a bit of a black cloud hanging over what is supposed to be a celebration.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Given the extremely low standard we've had for retiring numbers in the past, it would be weird to not have a guy's number retired who reached the HHOF primarily on his play as a Canuck.

Would also be a bit weird to have #1 both retired and in the ROH for McLean, though.

The McLean thing does add a layer of it for me. I think Luongo played at a higher standard for a consistently longer time than McLean did as a Canuck, but I think they had similar highs as a Canuck, too. Both nominated multiple times for the Vezina, both easily the best goaltenders in team history, fairly close in games played and wins, both got their teams to Game 7 of the SCF...I don't really have a point here other than that I hold them both in pretty high esteem.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and MS

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
They've never given #1 to anyone else since Luongo left 8 years ago.

I'm guessing they were waiting for the recapture stuff to be done with before looking at a number retirement, because - let's face it - that would have been a bit of a black cloud hanging over what is supposed to be a celebration.

Did any of the goalies over that time wear #1 before coming to Vancouver?

Just googling the goalies we've had since - Demko (#35), Markstrom (#25), DiPietro (#64 in junior), Halak (#41), Miller (#30), Holtby (#70 in WSH), Dominigue (#35 in PHX, #70 in PIT), Nilsson (#31), Lack (#31). If there was a guy like Brian Elliott who wore #1 for big chunks of his career that didn't get it here, maybe. But I don't think there was.

I'm surprised to learn this, but #1 actually isn't very common anymore: 2021-22 NHL Sweater Numbers | Hockey-Reference.com

Just 6 goalies had the number in 2019-20, and they played a combined 34 games that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad