Confirmed with Link: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin & Roberto Luongo are 2022 inductees for the Hockey Hall of Fame

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The NHL has nothing to do with Hall of Fame inductions.

The strongest thing that was in the twins favour is Brian Burke is on the selection committee. Cementing their legacy helps cement his legacy. Lord knows he spent years in the media mythologizing his part in drafting them and now he gets to swoop in and vote them into the Hall of Fame to seal the deal.

Now he gets to brag about how he drafted 1st Ballot Hall of Famers instead of just super stars.

Not that Henrik and Daniel don't deserve it. But this is the least useless Burke has been to us since he drafted them in the first place.
I guess Mike Keenan ain't getting into the HHOF anytime soon.:sarcasm:

Burke himself credits Thomas Gradin for pushing him hard to draft the Sedins.

The McLean thing does add a layer of it for me. I think Luongo played at a higher standard for a consistently longer time than McLean did as a Canuck, but I think they had similar highs as a Canuck, too. Both nominated multiple times for the Vezina, both easily the best goaltenders in team history, fairly close in games played and wins, both got their teams to Game 7 of the SCF...I don't really have a point here other than that I hold them both in pretty high esteem.
Both couldn't carry Brodeur's jockstrap.

:sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Ginger Papa

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Watching Button on Donnie and Dhali trying desperately to save face with mental gymnastics and random gibberish, when asked about his earlier comment about how Daniel should not be in HoF, is quite a hilarious sight.

Reactions: rypper

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
From watching the Sedins get drafted as shy young men. Pushing through the adversity and becoming superstars of the NHL, to Luongo getting traded to the Canucks on my wife's birthday "In which it made my birthday". I have nothing but respect for these 3 great athletes of the sport. Many, many fond memories of watching these 3 beauties in Vancouver. I couldn't be happier for these 3 gentlemen and all-time Vancouver Canuck greats.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
has anyone checked on y2k to see how he's doing...?
He probably knew it was just a matter of time when Hank would get in the Hall of Fame. Only THREE players that have won the Hart trophy in that last 90+ years of its existance hasn't gone in the Hall. And he has the Art Ross & a couple King Clancy wins on this resume. A bit less of lock on Daniel since he didn't win the Hart though he does have the Art Ross, King Clancy & Ted Lindsay award on his resume.

He's a Luongo fan so he's probably happy he was a first vote in winner in the Hall. It was only a matter of when rather than if he'd get into the Hall for him as well.

Reactions: Indiana

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Sedins were never that good defensively. They weren’t necessarily bad but it just didn’t fit their gameplan. They wanted to possess the puck for as long as they could and wear everyone wide out. There’s an interview from a while back where Burrows was asked why he fit with the Sedins. He didn’t fit the expected profile at all but he mentioned two key elements: get them the puck (so he was responsible for the defensive side of things) and get open. Since the Sedins were in constant motion, he knew that he too had to be in constant motion. Find the invisible seems, chip the puck back to them to keep the cycle going, and just get into the right spot at the right time instead of waiting for them to find him. Alfredsson could certainly do that offensively but I don’t think he could replicate Burrows extremely commitment to making sure the Sedins always had the puck.
This is not accurate. There was a period time when they were 70 point players who PK'd and were legitimately great defensively (maybe not quite prime Burrows, Kesler, or Malhotra level, but at least on par or better than Higgins, Cooke, or Raymond). Good enough to even be used as a passable shutdown line at times (although they were never really deployed that way), and they were actually the ones carrying their linemate defensively at the time. They sacrificed some defensive play to become 100 point players, IMO.

I agree that early on in their career and after they became 100 point players, it was more cycle/possession=defense for them (with struggles whenever pressured in their own end), though.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
He probably knew it was just a matter of time when Hank would get in the Hall of Fame. Only THREE players that have won the Hart trophy in that last 90+ years of its existance hasn't gone in the Hall. And he has the Art Ross & a couple King Clancy wins on this resume. A bit less of lock on Daniel since he didn't win the Hart though he does have the Art Ross, King Clancy & Ted Lindsay award on his resume.

He's a Luongo fan so he's probably happy he was a first vote in winner in the Hall. It was only a matter of when rather than if he'd get into the Hall for him as well.

We had an argument a number of years back about this very topic - would the Twins be 1st Ballot Hall of Famers or not. (sadly, the posts were lost in server migrations)

Like everything else to do with the Twins, he was incorrect.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
What a time to be in HFCanuck when those 3 were at their prime, as a Canuck fan you obviously like the current team with the young guns in Hughes, Pettersson, etc.. but that 2011 core, we loved them. There was the skill, the peskiness and cockiness that made us the best in the league, everybody hated them but we adored them. Well deserved to our childhood heroes :).

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Although I’m late to the party….

Thank you for the Thread announcing this news @vancityluongo

The Sedins are such special people and represented our Team so well, with all the Class a person could ask for from professional athletes.

I went to the last Sedin’s Game in Edmonton with my Wife at the time & our 2nd oldest Daughter & our Son in Law.

We traveled via transit & walked in to Rogers in our Canucks Jersey’s. We were not mocked, booed nor jeered once. Instead, we were greeted with cheers for , “1 more year!” It was an amazing, special night with our family and I’ll never forget the class demonstrated by a group of fans who understood hockey greatness.

I loved Bobby Lou as well while he wore the Orca, though I respect that he’ll go in as a Panther.

I support all 3 of course

70F92C60-10A0-41DB-8625-6F4CF77D486F.jpeg

Time to unload the LIke Gun on this Thread my friends….

986A30D0-0604-4585-A03A-9B7484558A6E.gif

Last edited:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I guess one of the cool things about getting old is watching an entire hall of fame career. I probably watched 99% of Henrik & Daniel's games. My take? They deserve it.

What a time to be in HFCanuck when those 3 were at their prime, as a Canuck fan you obviously like the current team with the young guns in Hughes, Pettersson, etc.. but that 2011 core, we loved them. There was the skill, the peskiness and cockiness that made us the best in the league, everybody hated them but we adored them. Well deserved to our childhood heroes :).

no doubt in my mind there will never be another canuck team that good in our lifetimes

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Hard to imagine ever caring about a hockey team the way I cared about these dudes, tbh. Just a fantastic group of hockey players and individuals.

Eleven years since our run to the finals and I still get a little emotional listening to any of the guys talk about it. Not in a sad way but just how much I enjoyed the team and almost everyone on the roster at the time. Hell, I was thrilled when we didn't trade Lu because he's still among my all time favourite goalies and players.

What does make me sad is how much of a shell the Canucks have been since all of them departed/retired. It happens to every team but how it happened to the Canucks...

We'd be so lucky as to have a team as good as the Sedins and Luongo helped build.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Just listened to all 3 of their 10 minute speeches.

All I’m gonna say in short is , my god I miss those guys (specifically the twins). NeverMind their hall of fame careers on the ice and some of the stuff they did …. Was literally magic.

I’m talking about them as people. I have never respected an athlete more than those 2. Just all class all the time. 2 of the best humans I’ve ever seen. They deserve all the accolades they have gotten. Not 1 player on this current roster is fit to tie their skates.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
All three deserving of the honour. Congrats!

And to think way back when some people (or person...you know who you are) wanted to trade both for Olli Jokinen.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I try not to compare that last dominant decade from WCE to Twin era to this mess we have this decade. But I realize I need to hang on to it to keep me going watching them through these floundering thin years. What three unmatched class acts they are, giants with mutual respect for each other, ...and now, from others too as their plaques are enshrined into the hall.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad