Confirmed with Link: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin & Roberto Luongo are 2022 inductees for the Hockey Hall of Fame

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I wouldnt have started watching hockey if it werent for bobby lou and the twins.
What great achievement, and well deserved.

Congrats to the three of them, great hockey players and even better people.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Brodeur winning that shit was pure reputation based. Much like Lidstrom winning the Norris in 2011.

2006-07 was basically Vancouver Luongos.

The two had very similar numbers, with Brodeur getting 1 more win and being .01 ahead of save %.

But anyone who knew anything about hockey should have realized that Brodeur did that behind the easiest team to play behind in hockey and Luongo did it for an extremely mediocre team that was not easy to play behind at all.

Luongo had the highest save % in the NHL at ES, on the PP, and SH ... but because Brodeur's team was never shorthanded he managed to slighly pip Luongo overall.

Luongo playing how he did that season would have put up a .940 on the Devils.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Luongo was absolutely jobbed of the 2007 Vezina. One of the worst award blunders of all time.

It was like one of those old MLB Cy Young votes where the 9 WAR guy who went 18-10 lost to the 4 WAR guy who went 21-8.

I still think he should've got the Hart, but I understand why he didn't.

No clue to this day how he didn't win either the 2004 or 2007 Vezinas. Brodeur's reputation won out, but those should have been his, and quite easily.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

No clue to this day how he didn't win either the 2004 or 2007 Vezinas. Brodeur's reputation won out, but those should have been his, and quite easily.

In 03-04 he should have won, but I can at least understand why a guy with a losing record on a non-playoff team didn't get the attention he deserved. Especially as a young guy having a breakout year in a league where it normally takes perception a year or two to catch up.

06-07 was just a robbery. A joke.

Nov 1, 2011
It's kind of crazy that on one day, 52 years into the history of this franchise, the number of players who reached the HHOF based primarily on what they did as a Canuck just went from 1 to 4.

It's also crazy that a team with 3 HOFers in their prime got robbed of the Cup by complete f***housery from the refs.

Edited: fixed typo on number of HOFers.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Yup, 2004 and 2007 were Luongo’s to win. Brodeur was owes those Vezinas due to Hasek, Kolzig and Theodore winning during that time frame.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
If there were no rule changes...
Would the Sedins still make the Hall-of-Fame?
Before the lockout...
The Sedins really struggled with all the pulls and bearhugs...
And although they showed promise...
They look like 2nd liners...
At best.
Then the game got faster...
And they became bonafide superstars.

Personally...
That just means they define the era...
And they were made for the modern game.
Most people in the new era succeeded because of their skating abilities...
But the Sedins never were burners.
Instead...
They use their sense of space...
And puck control...
To succeed.
A lot of what they did...
With the short passes...
And the use of teammates as decoys and picks...
Are copied by other teams...
Especially on the power play.
Of course...
Nobody did it better than them...
Because they have this innate ability to know where everyone is...
But it has become a blueprint of right hockey plays.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If there were no rule changes...
Would the Sedins still make the Hall-of-Fame?
Before the lockout...
The Sedins really struggled with all the pulls and bearhugs...
And although they showed promise...
They look like 2nd liners...
At best.
Then the game got faster...
And they became bonafide superstars.

Personally...
That just means they define the era...
And they were made for the modern game.
Most people in the new era succeeded because of their skating abilities...
But the Sedins never were burners.
Instead...
They use their sense of space...
And puck control...
To succeed.
A lot of what they did...
With the short passes...
And the use of teammates as decoys and picks...
Are copied by other teams...
Especially on the power play.
Of course...
Nobody did it better than them...
Because they have this innate ability to know where everyone is...
But it has become a blueprint of right hockey plays.

The biggest, best thing that ever happened to them was Marc Crawford getting fired.

Crawford never believed in them and spent the first several years of their careers putting them in positions to fail. Like, they had a multi-game stretch at one point with Wade Brookbank as their linemate - and this was in a season where Daniel scored 54 points.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Forgot to add, Mike Johnson thinks neither twin should be in HoF.

I wish I can get paid big bucks for talking out of my ass but, like Rick said, life is full of little concessions.

The whining from clowns like Johnson and Button is just more delicious now.

Guess what guys? The Twins are in the Hall of Fame.

You don’t think they deserve to be there? Guess what? They are.

And no amount of opining and whining will change that.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The biggest, best thing that ever happened to them was Marc Crawford getting fired.

Crawford never believed in them and spent the first several years of their careers putting them in positions to fail. Like, they had a multi-game stretch at one point with Wade Brookbank as their linemate - and this was in a season where Daniel scored 54 points.

Crawford was fired in 2006...
After both broke the 70 point mark.
He might not have believed in them before...
But he definitely changed his mind after the lockout...
And they finally started to produce.

Some of it had to do with Burke too...
Because despite how he says all the right things...
He never acquired the right linemate for them.
Nonis is an idiot...
But he recognized that Carter was the perfect linemate for them...
And it really helped them click.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Sedins also rarely had any sort of consistency in their linemates. Jason King, Trent Klatt, Anson Carter, Taylor Pyatt, and Steve Bernier, before Burrows forced his way there. It’s like the entire organization, across multiple GMs and coaches all were convinced that only one type of player could play with them before another high IQ guy was eventually given a chance because he was too good to play anywhere else.

Even with Burrows (and right after) on the roster they still had Samuelsson, Eriksson, Sutter, and Gagner all rotating onto their wing.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Sedins also rarely had any sort of consistency in their liberates. Jason King, Trent Klatt, Anson Carter, Taylor Pyatt, and Steve Bernier, before Burrows forced his way there. It’s like the entire organization, across multiple GMs and coaches all were convinced that only one type of player could play with them before another high IQ guy was eventually given a chance because he was too good to play anywhere else.

Even with Burrows (and right after) on the roster they still had Samuelsson, Eriksson, Sutter, and Gagner all rotating onto their wing.

gets me to thinking, the perfect sedin linemate would have been daniel alfredsson. slightly lesser burrows on the defensive side but a dirty work guy with a motor that didn’t stop who made every linemate better and obviously an elite offensive talent.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Gotta believe that Burke had a lot to do with them getting in. I was a little surprised they did to be honest but not because they don't deserve it.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
The whining from clowns like Johnson and Button is just more delicious now.

Guess what guys? The Twins are in the Hall of Fame.

You don’t think they deserve to be there? Guess what? They are.

And no amount of opining and whining will change that.

Yeah...
I never understood the bias against the Sedins.
Sure...
They do not have the numbers...
But they did dominate for a time...
Proven by the Hart...
Lester...
And Art Ross shared between them.
It can be argued that they added to in-game strategies too...
So their impact goes beyond the box score.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
gets me to thinking, the perfect sedin linemate would have been daniel alfredsson. slightly lesser burrows on the defensive side but a dirty work guy with a motor that didn’t stop who made every linemate better and obviously an elite offensive talent.

Would have definitely been a nightmare offensively but that defensive element was such an important part of the Sedins elevation from top-line scorers to Hall of Famers. In many ways Burrows was already a perfect partner and you’d just need to identify someone with an even higher offensive ceiling without losing the defense.

The Sedins were never that good defensively. They weren’t necessarily bad but it just didn’t fit their gameplan. They wanted to possess the puck for as long as they could and wear everyone wide out. There’s an interview from a while back where Burrows was asked why he fit with the Sedins. He didn’t fit the expected profile at all but he mentioned two key elements: get them the puck (so he was responsible for the defensive side of things) and get open. Since the Sedins were in constant motion, he knew that he too had to be in constant motion. Find the invisible seems, chip the puck back to them to keep the cycle going, and just get into the right spot at the right time instead of waiting for them to find him. Alfredsson could certainly do that offensively but I don’t think he could replicate Burrows extremely commitment to making sure the Sedins always had the puck.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Would have definitely been a nightmare offensively but that defensive element was such an important part of the Sedins elevation from top-line scorers to Hall of Famers. In many ways Burrows was already a perfect partner and you’d just need to identify someone with an even higher offensive ceiling without losing the defense.

The Sedins were never that good defensively. They weren’t necessarily bad but it just didn’t fit their gameplan. They wanted to possess the puck for as long as they could and wear everyone wide out. There’s an interview from a while back where Burrows was asked why he fit with the Sedins. He didn’t fit the expected profile at all but he mentioned two key elements: get them the puck (so he was responsible for the defensive side of things) and get open. Since the Sedins were in constant motion, he knew that he too had to be in constant motion. Find the invisible seems, chip the puck back to them to keep the cycle going, and just get into the right spot at the right time instead of waiting for them to find him. Alfredsson could certainly do that offensively but I don’t think he could replicate Burrows extremely commitment to making sure the Sedins always had the puck.

Burrows was the perfect linemate...
But a lot of credit has to go to Anson Carter too.
He really helped them click...
As they realized what they needed to do to succeed.

Reactions: David71

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah...
I never understood the bias against the Sedins.
Sure...
They do not have the numbers...
But they did dominate for a time...
Proven by the Hart...
Lester...
And Art Ross shared between them.
It can be argued that they added to in-game strategies too...
So their impact goes beyond the box score.

I don’t remember seeing you around for a while! Good to see you posting. :)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
In other words, Alex Burrows was the hockey version of the archetypal '80s movie girl-next-door who the hunky lead never thinks of romantically until he has a late epiphany and realizes she was the right one after all (usually because she lets her hair down and turns out to be Beautiful All Along.™)

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the most underrated accomplishments from the Sedins is the fact that they won back-to-back Art Ross trophies against prime Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin. Between the three of those young superstars they had just won the last 3 Art Ross trophies in a row and finished #1, #2, #3 in scoring in 08-09. It looked like they had a complete lock on the Art Ross for the foreseeable future and everyone else in the league would be competing for spots in the top 5 at best.

And out of nowhere comes 30 year old Henrik and Daniel Sedin to win it in back-to-back years, proving that it was no fluke. You would have been locked up in an asylum if you told people the twins would win that trophy twice against that level of competition.

The fact they're still underrated to this day is mindboggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad