Confirmed with Link: Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin & Roberto Luongo are 2022 inductees for the Hockey Hall of Fame

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

First set of brothers to be inducted in the same year - nice.

Random Luongo memory; I remember the day we traded for him. I had just got off the ice from a hockey game at Ice Sports North in North Van; we're in the dressing room when one of the guys drops the bomb that the Canucks dealt Bertuzzi for Luongo.

I don't know if a trade had ever excited me so much to that point. We'd gone through years of unstable goaltending post-Kirk McLean. The carousel during the Keenan years, "Goalie of the Future" Kevin Weekes, trading for Potvin only for him to be a dud, Cloutier going to pieces in multiple post-seasons - but hearing the news we'd just traded for Luongo was an absolute "holy shit" moment, knowing we'd just acquired possibly the best goaltender in the league.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
The Sedins are a very good example of not giving up on a player too early. Their first 4 years in the league there were so many fans that wanted them gone.
Because they were playing on the 3rd line and didn't bring toughness or grit. Also, this was the backend of the Deadpuck era. If the Sedin brothers weren't in your top 6, it was tough to keep them in the line-up.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

First set of brothers to be inducted in the same year - nice.

Random Luongo memory; I remember the day we traded for him. I had just got off the ice from a hockey game at Ice Sports North in North Van; we're in the dressing room when one of the guys drops the bomb that the Canucks dealt Bertuzzi for Luongo.

I remember waking up, late as a 13-year old in summer does and checking canucks.com (the old, old website). It was kind of a meme between me and my friends "if only the Canucks had a goalie like Luongo", or "Luongo is being wasted in Florida", it was very surreal as we were expecting to just play the next season with Auld and start a rebuild. That entire summer was fraught with anticipation, and when you are a kid every day is so long. Then finally, we had a good goalie. That 2007 miniature waltz to the playoffs was crazy. We weren't the best team to watch, but every game felt exciting because you felt like they could win it.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I also remember I didn't start watching hockey until the 2003 playoffs. Being very impressionable you heard a lot of "Sedin sisters" comments from a bunch old dudes my parents had over and how they were too soft, too slow, etc. You kinda just buy into it because you don't know all that much. Even when they had started to break out, they still didn't get respect. But they changed the way I thought about hockey. And then you watch them play, and realize they were as tough as any superstar out there. They weren't fast, they couldn't shoot all that great, but they are easily the 2 smartest players I've ever seen play. It wasn't til the 2009-10 season I finally gave them their due. God, we as fans of this team were incredibly privileged to have seen them evolve. The way they moved the puck, it was like an art form. It was truly beautiful to watch. They are the best two people and players this organization have had.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I wonder if there is a bit of a make up call by the nhl for them not getting a good clean shot at the cup.

It would be interesting to see if star players find it easier to get nominated when they have not got cups compared to if they have, especially if they were the nhls chosen team when they won

Oh please...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
For me the twins were no brainers but I am in the minority when it comes to Luongo who I think was very good but not quite good enough. Is there another goalie in the hall that never won an individual award in the NHL?

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
I wonder if it will take ESPN 36 hours to post to their website the Sedins being elected to the HHOF like it did when they announced their retirement.

Maybe Rick DiPietro can get Mike Milbury to come on his radio show to talk about his brilliance in trading Luongo so he could draft DiPietro.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
For me the twins were no brainers but I am in the minority when it comes to Luongo who I think was very good but not quite good enough. Is there another goalie in the hall that never won an individual award in the NHL?

Last time I checked, Luongo is second all time in games played as an NHL goaltender and fourth all time in wins. If he hadn't spent over a decade playing for a very poorly run FLA organization his numbers would guaranteed be a lot better and he'd be more recognizable. He's without a doubt HHoF deserving and is one of the best goalies of his generation. In his prime there were not many better.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It is not very often when one gets to watch someone's entire career...
To see all the trials and tribulations...
Only to see them gets the call...
And enter immortality.
That is why the Sedins' Hall-of-Fame induction truly feels special to me...
Because I have witnessed history in its entirety...
And they are probably the only ones I will be truly proud of.

Last time I checked, Luongo is second all time in games played as an NHL goaltender and fourth all time in wins. If he hadn't spent over a decade playing for a very poorly run FLA organization his numbers would guaranteed be a lot better and he'd be more recognizable. He's without a doubt HHoF deserving and is one of the best goalies of his generation. In his prime there were not many better.

Yep...
Luongo saw a lot of rubbers early on in his career...
And he still put up great numbers.
He lived up to his billing as one of the best goalies of his generation...
And the voters absolutely got it right.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In fairness, Luongo deserved to win the vezina in 2007.
-
I am very happy for the Sedins and glad they got their due. One of the most classiest, hardworking, toughest and underappreciated (and still are) players this organization ever had and were the best of the best. We will never see a pair of twins with this level of elite synchronized chemistry again. They really innovated the slap pass technique.

I'm also happy that they are part of this current management.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
2B311D9A-4056-4971-B8C3-DD18E6B3FEFC.png

He got robbed of a few Vezina’s and got second in hart voting his first year in Vancouver only losing to Crosby.

His credentials are better than the twins to be honest. Two Olympic gold medals, two world championship golds with the “Oilers and Yotes” , one silver with the “oilers and yotes”

His resume is very impressive.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In fairness, Luongo deserved to win the vezina in 2007.
-
I am very happy for the Sedins and glad they got their due. One of the most classiest, hardworking, toughest and underappreciated (and still are) players this organization ever had and were the best of the best. We will never see a pair of twins with this level of elite synchronized chemistry again. They really innovated the slap pass technique.

I'm also happy that they are part of this current management.

Luongo was absolutely jobbed of the 2007 Vezina. One of the worst award blunders of all time.

It was like one of those old MLB Cy Young votes where the 9 WAR guy who went 18-10 lost to the 4 WAR guy who went 21-8.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Luongo was absolutely jobbed of the 2007 Vezina. One of the worst award blunders of all time.

It was like one of those old MLB Cy Young votes where the 9 WAR guy who went 18-10 lost to the 4 WAR guy who went 21-8.
Brodeur winning that shit was pure reputation based. Much like Lidstrom winning the Norris in 2011.

2006-07 was basically Vancouver Luongos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad