Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
What an incredibly sad moment. This one hurts. It’s time to move forward. He gave me personally so many fond moments that I’ll remember for the rest of my life. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. Now it’s time to move forward and get this team into our next phase.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s an end of an era, this one is going to sting. It’s the right move but it still sucks, but it has to happen this way.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is the right move for Lundqvist and the wrong move for the Rangers. Adds a 1.5M hit next year in exchange for 3M this year that we almost certainly will not need.

THIS.. This might be the stupidest move Gorton's made (which I guess, is a good thing, but whatever)...

Unless there's another $9M player coming here there is NO way we need the $3M in space so badly... and then what about Geo? Just........ like, we give him $2M for whaat? so we could save $1M on cap space this year and then spend it again next year?

Ugh, awful way to end the King's tenure

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
THIS.. This might be the stupidest move Gorton's made (which I guess, is a good thing, but whatever)...

Unless there's another $9M player coming here there is NO way we need the $3M in space so badly... and then what about Geo? Just........ like, we give him $2M for whaat? so we could save $1M on cap space this year and then spend it again next year?

it sucks but its not a stupid move

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
No one should be bummed about it. He wasn’t going to win Here. He wasn’t going to help us win. He’s had an amazing career but it’s time for Shesterkin to take over and for our team to be back in the picture. Everyone should be thrilled. Celebrate the career look forward to the jersey retirement but everyone should be happy. We wanted a management team willing to make tough decisions and our guys have done so. I watched every Lundqvist game. I was at his first game. I was 22 23 just out of school moved to NYC goalie my whole life I felt very tied to him. Felt like we started our journeys together in a way. And I’d never seen anyone like him from the first minutes I watched of his presseason warmups. But that time has come and gone. Everyone should be excited about the future

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

He doesn't want to be the backup. He's not going to be the starter. If you love something, set it free or however the saying goes. I will say this. You can bash Dolan but the man will swing his check book without a second thought. To eat 11m in dead space in a year that could have limited revenue is not something alot of owners would do, and I'm proud that we are a team that pays what it owes and doesn't play stupid LTIR fraud games to get out from under its obligations like some of these other fake ass organizations do.

Reactions: jas and TheTakedown

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Gorton's stupidest move was moving 2 2nd round picks to bring in Eric Staal to help that core go on another playoff run only to get their teeth kicked down their throat by Pittsburgh.

Oh and then the same thing next year to bring in Smith only to have that core choke away that series in Ottawa, like an actual crime against humanity we lost that series. And yet instead of going scorched Earth, Gorton made another huge splash to try and keep it going even though it was clear the jig was up by signing Shattenkirk.

How quickly everyone forgets how bad things were looking after that Penguins series even though it was only 4 years ago. We had the worst prospect pool in hockey, an aging core locked into expensive contracts, and went into that draft with no 1st OR 2nd round pick.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Buy him out and wish him well or force everyone into an ugly situation so you can save $1.5m in cap space next year? Seems like an easy decision to me. Even with the buyout the team will have no problems with cap space next year. They clearly didn't see the buyout number being as much of an impact as fans seem to think it is.
The other thing is, given the situation, I can easily see this being Hank's preferred resolution.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The other thing is, given the situation, I can easily see this being Hank's preferred resolution.

Yeah he get some of the money owed to him, has the freedom to find a new team, and doesn't look like the bad guy to the vast majority of fans. Pretty good outcome for him, all things considered.

The only way it could go sideways is if he retires before testing the FA market. Then I would imagine a few fans might turn on him in the short term but all will be forgiven once his jersey is in the rafters.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So interesting to me to read everyone's reactions to this move. From my perspective, it was obvious as far back as two years ago that the team would need to part ways with Hank sooner rather than later. Then, things went downhill from there, and this season, watching the situation play out became increasingly more painful. I don't meant his callously: to me, more than anything the end is a relief. I prefer to remember the first dozen or so years of his career, rather than these last twenty-four months.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sounds a lot like Favre when Rodgers got drafted.

he was a dick to him and was clearly threatened by his presence

Ironically, Rodgers has the same thing happening to him now

I’m still real curious about what team wants him. No one will give him a starter job. So he’ll be the back up somewhere else? He’s a terrible back up. He doesn’t play well if he sits a couple days. Never has. Plus having that shadow over your starter isn’t healthy imo.

i still wonder about whether or not he retires at some point here.
You don’t become the hall of famer hank will be without an ego.

that ego works against you when you’re no longer that hall of fame level player.

I cannot see him backing anyone up. I think he’s going to see how things shake out but inevitably will retire if there isn’t a clear opportunity with and I’d be shocked if there is one at least not with a good team

This is the thing I can't quite figure out... I get being very driven and wanting to keep playing, I just don't really see a scenario where he a) plays as a starter, and b) gets more than 30 games

Kreids and Fast are the only ones left from the Contender days of 2014/15.

Man, simpler times. I miss those days

Washington is close enough to NYR that he would not have to move, Caps have still at least an outside Cup chance and he would be a backup/1b to Samsonov.

IMO if he is not too expensive Lundqvist to Washington for 1-2 seasons seems like a perfect fit.

This is probably his only legitimate option

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am not upset, I respect the relationship between the Rangers and Lundqvist. Both can and should be able to do whatever they want under the rules of the CBA.

I think Lundqvist was the best Rangers goalie I have every seen and that goes back to the the early-mid 80s. I wish him luck in whatever he does from here.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad