Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

What didn't? The starter (Shesterkin) played most of the games as you would expect and the team went 11-4 (2/5-2/22 and 3/7-3/10). Maybe they didn't like how practices went but it did not cause any sort of drop off in play or anything. So why was having three goalies a problem? Seems like purely a narrative to me.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It's the right move. I'm happy we have a GM who cares more about the team than about individuals. Sather coddled players too much. Gorton is all about winning a Cup, whatever it takes
Indeed. This is sad though. I'm simultaneously more confident in management but also unhappy the Henrik Era is officially over. (I suppose it was figuratively over for about a year already)

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
What didn't? The starter (Shesterkin) played most of the games as you would expect and the team went 11-4 (2/5-2/22 and 3/7-3/10). Maybe they didn't like how practices went but it did not cause any sort of drop off in play or anything. So why was having three goalies a problem? Seems like purely a narrative to me.
It wasted a roster spot. They had Hank sulking on the bench and Georgie in street clothes. It throws off practice routines.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Damn, I really wished we could have traded him for something. Or that he'd just retire to Europe.
Hello $13M dead cap space
In the right move/hate it camp. I'm assuming JD and JG exhausted every other possibility with trades and such.

Reactions: egelband

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Bringing back the icon to be a backup for this coming season was never a serious option for either party. It would be one thing for Lundqvist to back up somewhere else, quite another for him to be relegated to that assignment here. The months following Shesterkin’s Jan. 6 promotion created a series of uncomfortable moments when the Man of the Hour for 15 years became little more than an afterthought and an object of curiosity. It was not easy.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/29/rangers-buying-out-henrik-lundqvist-in-bittersweet-end-of-an-era/

Read. Understand. Stop acting as if Hank being the backup was ever an option, let alone rotating two goalies ahead of him.

Reactions: Leetch3

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Seemed like it worked perfectly fine this year.

uhhhh do you not recall even when Shesty was hurt Georgiev got both starts of a back to back leaving the only start for an ice cold Lundqvist who hadn't played in a month to get sent out like a lamb for slaughter against the Flyers.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
https://nypost.com/2020/09/29/rangers-buying-out-henrik-lundqvist-in-bittersweet-end-of-an-era/

Read. Understand. Stop acting as if Hank being the backup was ever an option, let alone rotating two goalies ahead of him.

That is on him though and not the team. If the team told him they do not want to buy him because they don't want another dead cap hit on the books for next year (which is perfectly reasonable reasoning) and he didn't want to be the backup/third string goalie there is absolutely nothing stopping him from agreeing to mutually terminate the contract and become a FA. I would estimate that costs him somewhere around 1-1.5M if he were to give up the 4.5M and sign elsewhere for like 1.5M when you take into account escrow, taxes, and all else.

Reactions: egelband

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I mean I can't blame him. He's been the face of the franchise for 15 years. Nobody wants to be an afterthought after that kind of career. Especially if he still thinks he can win in this league.
Sounds a lot like Favre when Rodgers got drafted.

he was a dick to him and was clearly threatened by his presence

Reactions: Kovalev27

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That is on him though and not the team. If the team told him they do not want to buy him because they don't want another dead cap hit on the books for next year (which is perfectly reasonable reasoning) and he didn't want to be the backup/third string goalie there is absolutely nothing stopping him from agreeing to mutually terminate the contract and become a FA. I would estimate that costs him somewhere around 1-1.5M if he were to give up the 4.5M and sign elsewhere for like 1.5M when you take into account escrow, taxes, and all else.

I’m still real curious about what team wants him. No one will give him a starter job. So he’ll be the back up somewhere else? He’s a terrible back up. He doesn’t play well if he sits a couple days. Never has. Plus having that shadow over your starter isn’t healthy imo.

i still wonder about whether or not he retires at some point here.

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
Sounds a lot like Favre when Rodgers got drafted.

he was a dick to him and was clearly threatened by his presence

No evidence that henrik treated anyone on the team poorly.

It was a tough situation for him to deal with but we never heard a peep about him taking it out on his teammates.

Nothing wrong with still wanting to be a starter in the league. He didn’t complain about being on the bench, he just dealt with it internally, as difficult as that may have been. All class all the way.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
No evidence that henrik treated anyone on the team poorly.

It was a tough situation for him to deal with but we never heard a peep about him taking it out on his teammates.

Nothing wrong with still wanting to be a starter in the league. He didn’t complain about being on the bench, he just dealt with it internally, as difficult as that may have been. All class all the way.
I don’t think he was a dick to Igor but he clearly felt threatened by him

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Buy him out and wish him well or force everyone into an ugly situation so you can save $1.5m in cap space next year? Seems like an easy decision to me. Even with the buyout the team will have no problems with cap space next year. They clearly didn't see the buyout number being as much of an impact as fans seem to think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad