Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I'm in the same boat here. In my eyes, Geogiev has the same value as Cam Talbot, James Reimer, and Scott Darling were -- That's roughly a collection of 2nd/3rd round picks + throw in players/contracts... you can lump Martin Jones into this conversation if you want, as his costs was a 29th overall, so nearly a 2nd rounder.

There's absolutely no reason Geo can't pull this in... Also, people keep saying the goalie market is flooded?

View attachment 369534

It's 3 solid goalies (Lehner, Holtby, Markstrom) that will get paid a ton which is $8M or so -- that's a completely different market compared to what Georgiev is a target of... After those three goalies, it's approximately, 3 goalies that will be grossly overpaid (Murray, Crawford, Khudobin). Of the remaining 16 goalies, 8 of them were bondafide backups... The remaining 6 are are either journeymen, very bad backups, 3rd stringers that teams were forced to play, or *very old*... That leaves Georgiev as a very good option here.

Oh, another aside, 6 of those goalies are RFA's... So they are likely going nowhere. That leaves you with a starting UFA pool of 16 goalies

For those that say the goalie market is flooded, please tell me what team is signing Jimmy Howard at 36, Mike Smith at 38 , Craig Anderson or Ryan Miller at 39, as a *starter*? Why would any of those guys be signed over Georgiev who will a) likely get the same contract ($2-3M), b) is 24 years old (an average of 13 years younger), and is cost controlled as an RFA?
Great post

Reactions: Mrpuck

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Great post

Except those goalies were traded a few years ago and since then the goalie position has tanked in value. Look what Anton Khudobin as a backup just did. Boston won a series without Rask. The Islanders let a Vezina finalist walk out the door and made the ECF. Vegas traded a 2nd round pick for a goalie that was on the UFA market last summer that took them to the WCF, while their $7 million goalie watched from the bench.

Leave it to Florida to be behind the times and invest $70 million in cap and a top 15 pick in the position.

Who are the three greatest goalies of this generation? Lundqvist, Price and Rinne? They'll all most likely retire without a Cup between them.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Thanks for everything King. Sorry the Rangers couldn't put a team in front of you to give you more help in winning a Cup. I have to remember how to root for the Rangers without Henrik Lundqvist as their hoodie. Now, how do I tell a 4 year old that his favorite player is gone? #ParentingIsHard

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I mean word is coming out here from different writers that this was very much mutually decided and it’s because hank doesn’t want to be a backup. Look we KNOW he’s not a back up. He needs to play a lot. His worst hockey even in his prime was always after a day off. He can’t sit for a week on the bench and he knows it. But again what I can’t figure is where he thinks he’s going to be a starter that isn’t for a joke of a team. Could he start in San Jose? Sure. Could he split time in Minnesota maybe (I actually think this is his best bet with Zucc)

but is it worth it? If he really believes he’s still an nhl starter sure. Go have fun

Reactions: Leetch3

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

attended this one in person. this game right here is when I knew just how absolutely amazing he would be. the way he stifled Pittsburgh in OT was insane.

Last edited:

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Tragic seeing him leave, but hopefully he gets his number retired soon. My favorite Ranger ever and a top 10 goalie in NHL history

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
if the organization doesn't have this guy in an office role or....SOMETHING. when this super young core peaks?

get him that Cup.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Destination idea might be Dallas. Perry, Sekera, Khudobin, Hank might
I mean word is coming out here from different writers that this was very much mutually decided and it’s because hank doesn’t want to be a backup. Look we KNOW he’s not a back up. He needs to play a lot. His worst hockey even in his prime was always after a day off. He can’t sit for a week on the bench and he knows it. But again what I can’t figure is where he thinks he’s going to be a starter that isn’t for a joke of a team. Could he start in San Jose? Sure. Could he split time in Minnesota maybe (I actually think this is his best bet with Zucc)

but is it worth it? If he really believes he’s still an nhl starter sure. Go have fun

My guess is that a team makes room for him and already have a goalie like Demko or Kähkönen on their way up and that they might split duties. Or maybe Ottawa? Fellow countryman Nilsson and maybe with a Pietrangelo signing (if owner wakes up thinking he's Pierre Lacroix). Senator turnaround might go real fast now if they wanted to.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

He is a backup now though thats the issue and its not just that Shesterkin is better than him, so is Georgiev. I've heard he will retire and not move somewhere else but i still believe he should go to Colorado but maybe he knows himself he can't be the guy he once was. Great career, great guy and wondeful representative of the Rangers.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He is a backup now though thats the issue and its not just that Shesterkin is better than him, so is Georgiev. I've heard he will retire and not move somewhere else but i still believe he should go to Colorado but maybe he knows himself he can't be the guy he once was. Great career, great guy and wondeful representative of the Rangers.

everything I’ve heard and seen for months now publicly and behind the scenes tells me he’s going to retire. But we’ll see. Things change but I’ve yet to read or hear about an opportunity That makes sense.

Washington? What so he can sit behind another rising Russian star? That makes no sense.

No top end contender is running with Hank as the starter. Plenty of better younger options

dapowl

kaapo kakko.
Aug 22, 2017
Dresden
What a sad day, all good things must come to an end . No 30 the first Jersey I got, then the first ranger player signature I got live from him. What moments and games I stayed up till 4 AM to see him and the team compete. Unfortunately I could never see him in the garden. He will be missed and not hearing sam call his saves will be weird.
No. 30 and to his illustrious ranger career ends on no other day than the 30 day of September.
Now enjoy all the great memories he brought and look forward to our new sport heroes just growing right in front of our own eyes.

Thank you Henrik for defining the franchise the last decade!

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Sad today when a legend leaves. It’s a good day though . Time to celebrate his Rangers legacy and reflect.

Gretzky got out before the wheels fell off, Lawrence Taylor too. Dan Marino pushed it an extra year and it wasn’t pretty. Last year was not good for Hank so imo this is a good thing.

Time to celebrate and turn the page.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It kinda feels dirty, like we stabbed someone in the back. Its the right thing but man it seems wrong for some reaso

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

Funny, this one feels like there is nothing anyone can really say that properly describes just what Hank meant to this franchise. For those of us who watched 99.99% of his games, his saves, his compete level & professionalism, we were so lucky. This guy is a legend and I will always be sad about the fact that we never saw him raise the cup in a Rangers jersey. Hope he gets whatever he's looking for in the next stage of his life, and I hope he's back with the organization at some point in some capacity after he's done playing.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
One of the greatest of all time. The man deserves a cup and i truly hope he gets one. I will cry when we retire his number just like i cried when we retired my other all time favorite in Richter.

A moment of silence please for the great King of NY.

I love you and will miss you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad