Player Discussion Henrik Lundqvist: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Wow, end of an era if true. What a bummer. He was a great competitor for us.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sounds a lot like Favre when Rodgers got drafted.

he was a dick to him and was clearly threatened by his presence

I'm not a huge football guy but didn't Favre tell the Packers not to draft him and they did it anyway or something? I'm sure Hank struggled a bit with having someone challenge his status but I don't think we should interpret this as he was hostile to the kids or anything.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well I know that I got a rep (not an entirely unfair one) for being a Hank hater but this is sad. Between his buyout and Eli's retirement my whole childhood is gone. I still remember his rookie season fondly and then he was the best player on many teams after that. I still say in 2014, he was a couple of bad calls away from making it at least interesting.

Edit: I was 18 during Eli's first game and 19 during Hank's. So I guess my childhood isn't gone, but my young adulthood. I'm just an old-ass man right now.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm not a huge football guy but didn't Favre tell the Packers not to draft him and they did it anyway or something? I'm sure Hank struggled a bit with having someone challenge his status but I don't think we should interpret this as he was hostile to the kids or anything.
I sincerely doubt Hank was a jerk about it, but I’m mostly comparing the palpable tension that was apparent in that situation. I would say that palpable tension was obviously there in this situation, even if Hank wasnt intentionally being moody about it.

Reactions: egelband

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
For months, a lot of fans were hoping for a Lundqvist buyout and said they can't blame him for wanting to start elsewhere.

Now that it's actually happening, the reaction is "omg what a selfish a-hole." Lundqvist can't do anything right in the eyes of some fans, whether it be his on-ice play or his exit from the team. He's gone, no need to trash him on the way out for doing something that plenty of fans were clamoring for.

Reactions: resting buch face

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City

Hank probably stayed up all night telling Igor that his fashion sense was trash, and didn't let him win the Hank wine lottery.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
God, every Lundqvist take of yours is off.
I’ll admit I flat out don’t give a f*** about the buyout or Lundqvist being gone, and that I was never a big fan of his. He was great at his peak but he’s done and our team will be better than it was yesterday after we buy him out. At this point I’ve been done with seeing Hank on this team for about 2 years.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I sincerely doubt Hank was a jerk about it, but I’m mostly comparing the palpable tension that was apparent in that situation. I would say that palpable tension was obviously there in this situation, even if Hank wasnt intentionally being moody about it.

That I can see being the case. I mean one look at Lundqvist riding the bench and you can see it all over his face that he's not happy sitting there. Which is really the point of all of it. You don't want that festering for a whole year. Especially when you have a young kid trying to solidify himself as the future #1 of the franchise.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I’ll admit I flat out don’t give a f*** about the buyout or Lundqvist being gone, and that I was never a big fan of his. He was great at his peak but he’s done and our team will be better than it was yesterday after we buy him out. At this point I’ve been done with seeing Hank on this team for about 2 years.

Fair enough. As a big time fav of mine. This is tough, despite it being telegraphed.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
A tough day for sure. Selfishly I was hoping he would retire a Ranger and obviously cap wise it would help us tremendously but I understand how fierce of a competitor he is and wants to keep playing

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Despite how unhappy he apparently was with the situation, I don’t recall him complaining. Haven’t seen any reports of it.

I'll die on my conspiracy theory hill that the Zuccarello's "no loyalty" rant was at least inspired by Lundqvist if not completely from his mouth

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You don’t become the hall of famer hank will be without an ego.

that ego works against you when you’re no longer that hall of fame level player.

I cannot see him backing anyone up. I think he’s going to see how things shake out but inevitably will retire if there isn’t a clear opportunity with and I’d be shocked if there is one at least not with a good team

Reactions: Leetch3

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That I can see being the case. I mean one look at Lundqvist riding the bench and you can see it all over his face that he's not happy sitting there. Which is really the point of all of it. You don't want that festering for a whole year. Especially when you have a young kid trying to solidify himself as the future #1 of the franchise.

Not to mention how completley f***ed his practice routine was with the 3 man rotation.

Imagine his entire career the Rangers entire practice and morning skate was dedicated to getting Lundqvist ready for that night's start, now he had to fight for the backup rep scraps.

These guys are such creatures of habit and live and die by their routine. Having it thrown into complete flux must have torn him up inside. Especially considering how mental goalies are, especially Hank who is real emotional even for a goalie.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
Washington is close enough to NYR that he would not have to move, Caps have still at least an outside Cup chance and he would be a backup/1b to Samsonov.

IMO if he is not too expensive Lundqvist to Washington for 1-2 seasons seems like a perfect fit.

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
I'm sad. I only started watching the Rangers when Lundqvist (and Jagr) joined the team. He was my first jersey I bought. I only went to games if #30 was starting. I've watched nearly every single game since then, and of course those magical playoff runs and even watched all the all-star games, world cup games, Sweden olympic games to watch our king. I watched his mask show, Beginnings, random videos on youtube to get a glimpse more into HL off the ice. He's the closest thing to a celebrity that I "follow", and the main reason I was ever so invested into the Rangers.

I don't feel any type of way about ex-Rangers winning the cup... I think if I ever see Lundqvist lift Lord Stanley, I might shed a tear or two. Long live the king:(

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Washington is close enough to NYR that he would not have to move, Caps have still at least an outside Cup chance and he would be a backup/1b to Samsonov.

IMO if he is not too expensive Lundqvist to Washington for 1-2 seasons seems like a perfect fit.

Could definitely be an option. Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad