Player Discussion Henri Jokiharju

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Considering the RD is set with Jokiharju at the beginning of the season or soon, Miller, and Montour, Risto is the odd guy out. Risto would be traded before one of 'Botterill's guys' would. The only way Ristolainen is on this roster by the 2021 season is if one of Miller, Montour, Jokiharju, Risto can play on the left side, (or totally sucks) I have no problem with Jokiharju starting in the AHL to develop him into an even better player long-term. It'd be really good for Rochester too. Risto will have more trade value at the deadline, if we want Jokiharju playing games that would be the ideal time to trade. I can see Risto with a 55 pt pace on a better team and one yr older as a then 25 yr old D-man that takes the next step, even better if he's a +. That is selling high, unfortunately I'm afraid if Botterill traded Risto now, especially considering the market value for D-men this off-season compared to what it'd be at the deadline, he'd be selling way too low.

Get Risto some PP1 with Dahlin on the left and Eichel up front, boost his value, and a return will be much greater. For all we know Miller may struggle and we may not want to sell Risto at all depending on how much he's improved as a 25 yr old. The odd guy could be Miller.

I said this before the ROR trade too, selling low NEVER works. I can totally see Risto figuring out his game more and be a 60 pt D man in his peak, he's only 24. He may have 4 yrs still until his theoretical 'D-man peak' (28)

Case in point, idiocy to trade him now, it'd be trading low, especially idiotic for a 50 ****ing point bubble middle six forward as a center-piece when Risto's putting nearly 50 up already as a 24 yr old RH d-man,

If he's traded, it HAS to be for the right player. Botterill CANNOT afford to screw this up, especially with the visions of ROR jubilantly dancing with the Conn Smythe fresh in mind.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think his style will mesh will with Dahlin. Seems to have a high IQ, good skater and can contribute on the rush, but can also be a guy who allows his partner to be “the guy”.

Long term, even if he’s not a “true #2” I think he could succeed as Dahlin’s partner in this roster.

Reactions: kundahlini

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Considering the RD is set with Jokiharju at the beginning of the season or soon, Miller, and Montour, Risto is the odd guy out. Risto would be traded before one of 'Botterill's guys' would. The only way Ristolainen is on this roster by the 2021 season is if one of Miller, Montour, Jokiharju, Risto can play on the left side, (or totally sucks) I have no problem with Jokiharju starting in the AHL to develop him into an even better player long-term. It'd be really good for Rochester too. Risto will have more trade value at the deadline, if we want Jokiharju playing games that would be the ideal time to trade. I can see Risto with a 55 pt pace on a better team and one yr older as a then 25 yr old D-man that takes the next step, even better if he's a +. That is selling high, unfortunately I'm afraid if Botterill traded Risto now, especially considering the market value for D-men this off-season compared to what it'd be at the deadline, he'd be selling way too low.

Get Risto some PP1 with Dahlin on the left and Eichel up front, boost his value, and a return will be much greater. For all we know Miller may struggle and we may not want to sell Risto at all depending on how much he's improved as a 25 yr old. The odd guy could be Miller.

I said this before the ROR trade too, selling low NEVER works. I can totally see Risto figuring out his game more and be a 60 pt D man in his peak, he's only 24. He may have 4 yrs still until his theoretical 'D-man peak' (28)

Case in point, idiocy to trade him now, it'd be trading low, especially idiotic for a 50 ****ing point bubble middle six forward as a center-piece when Risto's putting nearly 50 up already as a 24 yr old RH d-man,

If he's traded, it HAS to be for the right player. Botterill CANNOT afford to screw this up, especially with the visions of ROR jubilantly dancing with the Conn Smythe fresh in mind.
Exactly how I feel. Botts should not trade Risto unless he's getting a young top-6 center with term in return. Jokiharju is still very young. I doubt playing big minutes in Rochester will stunt his development. Though, if he shows well in training camp and preseason he may be tough to send down.

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Miller

That's a much improved unit. Also, signing Gardiner, then Trading McCabe+Sheary could get us a stop gap top-9 center. I do worry about the left side of the defense while Pilut is out. There's not much depth there. Hopefully Scandella or Hunwick can hold down the third pairing role until Pilut comes back.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Exactly how I feel. Botts should not trade Risto unless he's getting a young top-6 center with term in return. Jokiharju is still very young. I doubt playing big minutes in Rochester will stunt his development. Though, if he shows well in training camp and preseason he may be tough to send down.

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Risto
McCabe-Miller

That's a much improved unit. Also, signing Gardiner, then Trading McCabe+Sheary could get us a stop gap top-9 center. I do worry about the left side of the defense while Pilut is out. There's not much depth there. Hopefully Scandella or Hunwick can hold down the third pairing role until Pilut comes back.
I’m hopeful that John Gilmour can steal a LD spot in camp. At least till Pilut returns.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Joker looks like a stud. Got excited watching his highlight film. Also Gilmour looks like an excellent under the radar signing. Buffalo needs to offload some of this old vet dead weight, even if it’s for futures.

Reactions: Mitts888

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You are wrong, if Nelson gets claimed they should shut down the franchise as we apparently totally ****ed without him.

They sure would.

There are always teams who can't say goodbye to their depth guys that can be replaced so easily to make room for kids and allow them to develop in an enviroment they should be.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
67698297_10156334997047466_7463421561396002816_n.jpg

Hurts just looking at this

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Hey guys, what are the plans for Jokiharju? NHL, or back down to the A this year?

With Montour being out injured to start the season there is a good chance he makes it (but not guaranteed).

However, once Montour comes back it becomes a little less clear. We would have Montour, Miller and Risto all at RD so they may rather give him some time in the A.

So really this question depends a lot on two things. 1) How he performs and 2) If Risto is traded. Still really up in the air at this point but I assume he will spend most of the year with the Sabres.

Reactions: slip

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What are people's thoughts on Joker's dzone turnovers? He threw the puck to an opposing forward on more than one occasion in the dzone this preseason. Not enough to say it's a pattern, but enough to notice.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
What are people's thoughts on Joker's dzone turnovers? He threw the puck to an opposing forward on more than one occasion in the dzone this preseason. Not enough to say it's a pattern, but enough to notice.
He’s not making a good case for himself to make the team, that’s for sure.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
good to hear. rooting for henri. nylander on our end looks as advertised. doesnt play away from the puck, has a bunch of skill, looks disinterested, good play every now and then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad