Player Discussion Henri Jokiharju

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Looks like he started last year with Chicago then was sent back down for the second half of the year. Wouldn't be super shocked if he starts the year in Rochester. Probably depends on what the defense looks like in training camp, he has a lot of competition right now.

Reactions: Franson

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
- Good trade
- He managed to rob the mafia
- I hope he starts in NHL

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Guy was an NHL player last year and fell out of favor for no really good reason, then got pushed out by vet signings which will be worse than him.

I hope the plan is to move Risto if the right deal is there and put this kid in the top 6 if not the top 4.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Looks like he started last year with Chicago then was sent back down for the second half of the year. Wouldn't be super shocked if he starts the year in Rochester. Probably depends on what the defense looks like in training camp, he has a lot of competition right now.

Henri Jokiharju believes joining Sabres 'a great opportunity' - Buffalo Hockey Beat

Jokiharju experienced an interesting rookie season. He logged big minutes early beside defenseman Duncan Keith under former coach Joel Quenneville.

But after Jeremy Colliton replaced Quenneville in November, Jokiharju’s ice time dwindled. In late January, shortly after returning from World Juniors, the Blackhawks sent him to the AHL, where he compiled two goals and 17 points in 30 outings.

I know one of the Chicago writers for the Athletic mentioned asking Colliton repeatedly why Joker fell out of favor after the coaching change. He said he never got an answer.

It could be as simple as slowing things down with his development.

Reactions: Chainshot

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Doubt it, but were there any financial benefits to keeping him in the AHL after January? Or anything roster slot or cap related?

Doubtful....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Henri Jokiharju believes joining Sabres 'a great opportunity' - Buffalo Hockey Beat

Jokiharju experienced an interesting rookie season. He logged big minutes early beside defenseman Duncan Keith under former coach Joel Quenneville.

But after Jeremy Colliton replaced Quenneville in November, Jokiharju’s ice time dwindled. In late January, shortly after returning from World Juniors, the Blackhawks sent him to the AHL, where he compiled two goals and 17 points in 30 outings.

I know one of the Chicago writers for the Athletic mentioned asking Colliton repeatedly why Joker fell out of favor after the coaching change. He said he never got an answer.

It could be as simple as slowing things down with his development.

The year-end article on Henri -

Henri Jokiharju's season is over in Rockford. Will he stick...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Doubt it, but were there any financial benefits to keeping him in the AHL after January? Or anything roster slot or cap related?

Doubtful....
If they had sent him down earlier they could have stopped him from getting an accrued season towards unrestricted free agency.

Reactions: jBuds

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
A lot will depend on who is still on the roster by then, unfortunately.

If Risto (and/or Bogo) doesn’t get traded, I bet he starts in Rochester with Montour, Miller, Risto, Bogo, and Nelson also in the mix. Joker gets sent down until a D or two get hurt.
This is the stupidest approach towards roster building. I really hope they dont think in this way.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I’m on the fence regarding his status opening night. He’s one of the few defensemen that is waiver exempt (I think Pilut is the only other) with our plethora of dmen right now. With Bogo and Pilut out to start the season and a looming Risto trade a roster spot could open quickly.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is the stupidest approach towards roster building. I really hope they dont think in this way.

How is it stupid? If they haven't worked out a trade for decent value for either, then they would move the waiver exempt player if they need to. That seems like standard operating procedure for most NHL teams.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Retaining depth by sending players who don’t have to clear waivers to the AHL is an age old approach that lots of teams use to maintain quality depth throughout the organization.

Giving away depth and having lesser players available when injuries inevitably strike is how teams get to the point where fans and media complain about a lack of depth.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Retaining depth by sending players who don’t have to clear waivers to the AHL is an age old approach that lots of teams use to maintain quality depth throughout the organization.

Giving away depth and having lesser players available when injuries inevitably strike is how teams get to the point where fans and media complain about a lack of depth.
I want the best players on the roster. Dont care about the sort of depth Nelson and Bogo provide if there is a better player to play. Also we will not lose Bogo...so what exactly are you worried about? Losing Casey Nelson??? Lol

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I want the best players on the roster. Dont care about the sort of depth Nelson and Bogo provide if there is a better player to play. Also we will not lose Bogo...so what exactly are you worried about? Losing Casey Nelson??? Lol

I’d rather have Nelson as depth as opposed to a lot of the options the Sabres will be left with if they lose someone like Nelson on waivers.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

There is a cascading effect if you send veteran, waiver eligible players down. If they get claimed then you have to find another player to replace him on the AHL team. If you're waiver exempt player (or any vet starter), that you have in Buffalo, gets hurt, then you have to move a prospect up that probably isn't ready to play. Then you have to find another player to take those minutes in the AHL. On top of that, most owners simply don't want to pay veteran players full salary to play in the minors.

You can not like that all you want, but there are lots of practical reasons to take advantage of waiver exempt status, and it's not just millions of dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->