May 19, 2014
Zurich
What I expect the lineup to look like:
(1) Helm - Datsyuk - x
(2) Zetterberg - Weiss - x
(3) Tatar - Sheahan - Abdelkader
(4) Miller - Glendening - Cleary
(extra) Andersson, Jurco
x: fill w/ Franzen & Nyquist in whatever order.

Helm confirmed as 13's winger. Weiss WILL be our 2C, you dont pay that much to sit him or play him at 4C. He loves Glendening and will play him over Andersson. Tatar, Z, Mule, Nyquist are in the same spot as last season. Abby/Cleary.....I dont want them there, but they will play.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
What I want the lineup to look like:

first 9 games:
Helm - Datsyuk - Mantha
Z - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Franzen
Miller - Andersson - Abdelkader
Glendening, Cleary

rest of season:
Helm - Datsyuk - Franzen
Z - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Glendening, Cleary

Alfie is gone.
Mantha should get a look, then get sent down to let the contract slide another year.
I prefer Andersson over Glendening as our 4C, bc he's good at faceoffs and for PK situations. (Glendening for games where we need more grit)
That 4th line wont score a lot of goals, but at least is very solid defensively.

After 9 games, Mantha goes to GR, Jurco comes up and takes the 3rd line RW spot.
Still, Cleary sits out, Glendening and Joker play 4C depending on the type of game.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm 90% contracts only slide for Junior aged players & foreign players. Whether Mantha plays in Detroit or in the AHL the first year of his contract will be used. Now if we were to say keep Zack Nasty for 8 games and then send him back to the OHL, I think his contract would slide. I may be wrong on that though. I do know Mantha's contract won't slide though.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
I'm 90% contracts only slide for Junior aged players & foreign players. Whether Mantha plays in Detroit or in the AHL the first year of his contract will be used. Now if we were to say keep Zack Nasty for 8 games and then send him back to the OHL, I think his contract would slide. I may be wrong on that though. I do know Mantha's contract won't slide though.

Are you sure? That's not what people have been saying about Mantha's contract. I haven't read the rules myself, but from what people have said Mantha's contract shouldn't kick in until next season unless he plays 10 NHL games cause he's still 18 when the season starts or something like that.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Are you sure? That's not what people have been saying about Mantha's contract. I haven't read the rules myself, but from what people have said Mantha's contract shouldn't kick in until next season unless he plays 10 NHL games cause he's still 18 when the season starts or something like that.

Mantha turned 20 yesterday and his contract will not slide if he plays in the AHL.

Also, according to Khan Mantha will be the third person on the Helm-Datsyuk line

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Mantha turned 20 yesterday and his contract will not slide if he plays in the AHL.

Also, according to Khan Mantha will be the third person on the Helm-Datsyuk line

For the purposes of the "sliding" rule, Mantha's age is calculated to be 19. His contract will slide for another year if he doesn't play 10 games.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich

Mantha's contract WILL slide.

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games, the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.
Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.
CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)

Mantha was 19 when he signed the contract in October 2013. But due to the rule, he technically was 18 years old, so his contract can slide two seasons. Also, this rule only applies because he was born on Sept. 16, only one day after the deadline. I dont think they would waste a year of his contract, but thanks to this rule, we could send him down and let the contract slide.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

That is the old/other "9 game" rule. Under the new CBA, a player's contract can slide up to 2 years, regardless of whether they play in the AHL or not, so long as they don't play 10 or more NHL games.

If a player signs their ELC in X year, and if on Sept 15. of X year, that player is 18 years old, then he qualifies for the 2 year slide. So, even though Mantha signed his ELC in October of 2013 when he was 19 years old, he still signed the deal in 2013. And on Sept. 15 of 2013, Mantha was 18. Thus, for the purposes of that rule, Mantha signed his ELC as an 18 year old and thus qualifies for 2 consecutive years of his contract sliding, regardless of how old he is now and regardless of whether or not he plays in the AHL.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
That is the old/other "9 game" rule. Under the new CBA, a player's contract can slide up to 2 years, regardless of whether they play in the AHL or not, so long as they don't play 10 or more NHL games.

If a player signs their ELC in X year, and if on Sept 15. of X year, that player is 18 years old, then he qualifies for the 2 year slide. So, even though Mantha signed his ELC in October of 2013 when he was 19 years old, he still signed the deal in 2013. And on Sept. 15 of 2013, Mantha was 18. Thus, for the purposes of that rule, Mantha signed his ELC as an 18 year old and thus qualifies for 2 consecutive years of his contract sliding, regardless of how old he is now and regardless of whether or not he plays in the AHL.

There ya go. Me going off of old rules. Well if that is the case I think there is zero chance he makes the wings this year lol.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
well if part of their philosophy is keeping second contract small (which is stupid unless it's longer term), they'd give mantha exactly 10 games. ELC runs out sooner and he has less chance to put up big #s and they can sign him cheaper.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
What I want the lineup to look like:

first 9 games:
Helm - Datsyuk - Mantha
Z - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Franzen
Glendening, Cleary

rest of season:
Helm - Datsyuk - Franzen
Z - Weiss - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Glendening, Cleary

Alfie is gone.
Mantha should get a look, then get sent down to let the contract slide another year.
I prefer Andersson over Glendening as our 4C, bc he's good at faceoffs and for PK situations. (Glendening for games where we need more grit)
That 4th line wont score a lot of goals, but at least is very solid defensively.

After 9 games, Mantha goes to GR, Jurco comes up and takes the 3rd line RW spot.
Still, Cleary sits out, Glendening and Joker play 4C depending on the type of game.

Well that changes things now with Mantha out.

I'd like to see

Helm, Dats, Jurco
Z, Weiss, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Franzen
Miller, Glendening/Anderson, Abs
Anderson/Glendening and Cleary in the box

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Are playoff games counted also in the 9 game limit? If not, it would be perfect to bring Mantha in for the last 9 regular season games and full playoffs...

...and let the ELC slide for a one extra year.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Are playoff games counted also in the 9 game limit? If not, it would be perfect to bring Mantha in for the last 9 regular season games and full playoffs...

...and let the ELC slide for a one extra year.

I believe playoffs count. Chris kreider is a fairly recent example of this

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Well that changes things now with Mantha out.

I'd like to see

Helm, Dats, Jurco
Z, Weiss, Nyquist
Tatar, Sheahan, Franzen
Miller, Glendening/Anderson, Abs
Anderson/Glendening and Cleary in the box

I wouldn't mind either Tatar or Jurco with Dats and Helm.

I really want to see Zetterberg with Franzen and Nyquist though. It seems like a good mix and Nyquist and Franzen have always seemed to have some nice chemistry.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nyquist - Zetterberg - X
Franzen - Weiss - X
Tatar - Sheahan - X
Miller - X - X

Add missing pieces. There's still a top9, not top6.

Would make sense chemistry-wise, but I am fearful of who would be used as those x's.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Nyquist - Zetterberg - X
Franzen - Weiss - X
Tatar - Sheahan - X
Miller - X - X

Add missing pieces. There's still a top9, not top6.

Factoring in Helm, Jurco, Pulks (maybe), Abby, Andersson, Glendening, you can fill in those Xs reasonably enough. We have plenty of middle6 wingers to fill in.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should stick with Guz-Z-Mule and Jurco-Sheahan-Tats

Maybe 3rd line can be Helm-Weiss-Gator? Or you could always flip Sheahan and Weiss.

I think

Mule-Z-Gus
Tats-Riley-Jurco
Abby-Weiss-Pulkks

would give you 3 pretty legit scoring lines, any way you flip it.

But I expect Abby to get bumped to top 6, and Cleary to get 3rd line RW duties as a result of this injury.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Factoring in Helm, Jurco, Pulks (maybe), Abby, Andersson, Glendening, you can fill in those Xs reasonably enough. We have plenty of middle6 wingers to fill in.

Forgetting someone.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I think we will end up seeing:

Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Helm- Weiss - Abdelkader
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Cleary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad