Hellebuyck for Vezina

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Border ain’t open until the end of June so far?
Then training camp?
Then games?
This would essentially roll this season into next ....
If borders open...who knows
Personally I still think we should just prepare for the next one.
I’ll still cheer for but unlikely follow it closely.
$ talks

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just had some clown on Twitter say that the Jets won't win against Calgary because they will run Helle over and over again and he won't hold up

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Border ain’t open until the end of June so far?
Then training camp?
Then games?
This would essentially roll this season into next ....
If borders open...who knows
Personally I still think we should just prepare for the next one.
I’ll still cheer for but unlikely follow it closely.
$ talks
As I mentioned in another thread hockey players with valid work permits and normally live in Canada to perform that work easily fall under the Government of Canada's definition of essential travel.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Visitors, foreign workers and students - Canada.ca

Reactions: Jets 31

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I just had some clown on Twitter say that the Jets won't win against Calgary because they will run Helle over and over again and he won't hold up

I dont believe they will run him, but they will get in his grill and make him uncomfortable. You know, the thing we refused to do against Fleury a couple years ago. The thing that Washington did (well, they actually did run him too, in one game), and beat him easily. After all, that was the book an Fleury, the book our coaches didn't read.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I dont believe they will run him, but they will get in his grill and make him uncomfortable. You know, the thing we refused to do against Fleury a couple years ago. The thing that Washington did (well, they actually did run him too, in one game), and beat him easily. After all, that was the book an Fleury, the book our coaches didn't read.
But that one guy around here kept insisting we do that we just run Fleury. Isn't there like a gentlemen's agreement not to run each other's goalies because if you do it, you better believe the other team is going to come right back and run your goalie, also once that seal has been broken they are going to run other team's goalies as well. Better to beat the goalie the old fashioned way by having better shooters, getting deflections and rebounds etc.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
But that one guy around here kept insisting we do that we just run Fleury. Isn't there like a gentlemen's agreement not to run each other's goalies because if you do it, you better believe the other team is going to come right back and run your goalie, also once that seal has been broken they are going to run other team's goalies as well. Better to beat the goalie the old fashioned way by having better shooters, getting deflections and rebounds etc.
You dont have to run the other keeper, but you can crowd the crease and time pucks to the net with bodies. But it is very different than the perimeter game we play.

Washington ran Fleury once in the series. Someone crashed him and took a penalty, cant recall who.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They will - that's a standard strategy - but I don't think I've seen Helle get rattled by that.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
They will - that's a standard strategy - but I don't think I've seen Helle get rattled by that.
I agree with you. The day Helle took a full on two hander, break the stick across the face, and hardly flinched, that's a warrior. Yeah they scored, and the refs blew the call, but the guy didn't miss a minute of the game. And his game didn't change.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The challenge is if it was really that easy why wouldn’t every team do that throughout the season on every goalie to rattle them? It sounds good on paper but it doesn’t happen that often in the NHL anymore.

Realistically a 5 game series is so short Helle could be cold anyways especially after months off.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As I mentioned in another thread hockey players with valid work permits and normally live in Canada to perform that work easily fall under the Government of Canada's definition of essential travel.

Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Visitors, foreign workers and students - Canada.ca

But hockey is entertainment which is considered non-essential.

I think the NHL will be able to negotiate permission. I won't call it exemption because that is a grey area. Exemption from what exactly and why? But they will need to provide some guarantees of isolation, testing, etc.

As the possible restart time gets closer, it would be wise to get the players to re-assemble in their home cities to simplify that process. Jets could begin by self-isolating for 14 days and then begin skating. Then it would be 1 move, as a unit, to the hub city they are assigned.

I understand players not wanting to leave their families at this time, but I don't see any other way.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The challenge is if it was really that easy why wouldn’t every team do that throughout the season on every goalie to rattle them? It sounds good on paper but it doesn’t happen that often in the NHL anymore.

Realistically a 5 game series is so short Helle could be cold anyways especially after months off.

As could Rittich. As could every goalie.

Who's likelier to have a bad 5 game stretch: a .925 goalie or a .910 goalie?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Now that this season is done, and playoffs are looking highly unlikely, I think Helle deserves the Vezina Trophy for the 2019-20 season. Helly was the Jets MVP, and despite losing much of our defense in the offseason, held the fort, and allowed the Jets to compete for a playoff spot. If the NHL awards the trophy to any other goalie, it would be a tragedy.

Three cheers for Helly! The greatest goalie to ever play for the Winnipeg Jets.

So with today's announcement by the NHL that the 2019-2020 regular season is CLOSED, what % chance does Helle have to win the Vezina? And when will the NHL Awards winners be announced?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck MUST win the Vezina. If he's not nominated for the Hart, doesn't have to win it either, I'm gonna be pissed.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Man, really could go either way between him or Rask
Hope Helle wins though, he deserves it (and either way let's enjoy finally having a good goalie after all those Pavelec years)

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Man, really could go either way between him or Rask
Hope Helle wins though, he deserves it (and either way let's enjoy finally having a good goalie after all those Pavelec years)
Not as close when you consider the garbage D we had in front of him all season.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As could Rittich. As could every goalie.

Who's likelier to have a bad 5 game stretch: a .925 goalie or a .910 goalie?

Yea at the end of the day I am thrilled with our goalie but also very leary of micro sample sizes. On balance I would always side with the better goalie because all effects are in play for both tenders.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Saw a tweet (barstool, bar down, can't remember) with a 'who will win the Vezina title?' and the picture had Bishop, Vasy and Rask.

OK.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Saw a tweet (barstool, bar down, can't remember) with a 'who will win the Vezina title?' and the picture had Bishop, Vasy and Rask.

OK.

:laugh: Would be interesting if Helle did not win the Vezina - but won the Hart.

Reactions: Jet

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck should've been nominated for the Hart trophy. Giving Pastrnak that nomination is such a joke, the Bruins have Bergeron, Marchand, Chara and co.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad