Hellebuyck for Vezina

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
$6.2M is pretty high but fair for Hellebuyck, way better than the $10M+ of Bobrovsky/Price who at best are comparable to Helle.
If Helle signed the contract 1 year later he'd be making 8.5 right now.

6.16 is in no way high for Helle.

Scheif, Helle, Connor, Morrissey, Ehlers all signed for 31 million. That's our #1C, #1D, #1G, 2 top line wingers.

That's amazing work by Chevy.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Helle signed the contract 1 year later he'd be making 8.5 right now.

6.16 is in no way high for Helle.

Scheif, Helle, Connor, Morrissey, Ehlers all signed for 31 million. That's our #1C, #1D, #1G, 2 top line wingers.

That's amazing work by Chevy.
Now let’s hope Laine doesn’t get greedy and ask for 10.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The fact people think Rask should get the Vezina is such a joke. Rask had much more of a supporting cast than Hellebuyck had, even no Hart nomination pisses me off!

I swear Bettman loves the Boston Bruins too much...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. GM’s vote for this award and I am not sure if they give a shit. There is zero chance Rask should win since he played on the top team and split starts for the most part. Compare that to Helle who was the workhorse and played on a team that leaked pretty much the most high danger chances in the NHL. This should be a no brainer but Rask is the name brand on a great team so who knows.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. GM’s vote for this award and I am not sure if they give a shit. There is zero chance Rask should win since he played on the top team and split starts for the most part. Compare that to Helle who was the workhorse and played on a team that leaked pretty much the most high danger chances in the NHL. This should be a no brainer but Rask is the name brand on a great team so who knows.

Rask deserves a nomination, but it should be Hellebuyck's to win. You basically stated some of the facts as to why I don't believe Rask shouldn't win it.

But without Hellebuyck we might've been bound for the basement, but who knows who our goalie would be if not him. Likely Comrie or Hutchinson, or worse a goalie that's desperate for an NHL job.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Rask deserves a nomination, but it should be Hellebuyck's to win. You basically stated some of the facts as to why I don't believe Rask shouldn't win it.

But without Hellebuyck we might've been bound for the basement, but who knows who our goalie would be if not him. Likely Comrie or Hutchinson, or worse a goalie that's desperate for an NHL job.

Rask had a heck of a season but he played 41 games and Halak played 31 games. That is pretty close to splitting the net. I agree without Helle we were a bottom 5 team this past season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chris Thorburn could demand 3 million per. That would mean he's greedy and undeserving since he was worth 700k. Laine is no different

Like I said, it all depends on what he does. You don't know what Laine is going to do before his next contract.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Like I said, it all depends on what he does. You don't know what Laine is going to do before his next contract.

Sure, if he morphs into a 110 point
player. But we all know now that he doesn't have that potential like we all used to 4 years ago.

If he continues around the 70-82 point range which is most likely then there's no way he deserves 10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure, if he morphs into a 110 point
player. But we all know now that he doesn't have that potential like we all used to 4 years ago.

If he continues around the 70-82 point range which is most likely then there's no way he deserves 10

Uhhhh, no. We don't know that at all. If he fails to grow beyond the level he was at at 21 YO, no he won't deserve 10. If this year is his peak he won't get 10. I don't know why you would assume that he has peaked after the big improvement of this year.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Uhhhh, no. We don't know that at all. If he fails to grow beyond the level he was at at 21 YO, no he won't deserve 10. If this year is his peak he won't get 10. I don't know why you would assume that he has peaked after the big improvement of this year.
If you still believe that Laine is Ovi 2.0 and going to score 50 and 110 points then fine, but you're going to be waiting a while. The guy's 22 now, not 18.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you still believe that Laine is Ovi 2.0 and going to score 50 and 110 points then fine, but you're going to be waiting a while. The guy's 22 now, not 18.

Right. He just turned 22. This was his 21 YO season. He is still on a steep growth curve.

I don't believe he is Ovi 2.0. I don't believe he is not. I'm not saying he is or is not worth 10 million. I'm saying he might be. Or not. Mostly, I'm saying that you don't know what he is going to be worth until you see what he does next.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Right. He just turned 22. This was his 21 YO season. He is still on a steep growth curve.

I don't believe he is Ovi 2.0. I don't believe he is not. I'm not saying he is or is not worth 10 million. I'm saying he might be. Or not. Mostly, I'm saying that you don't know what he is going to be worth until you see what he does next.
For reference Mitch Marner has already had a 96 pt season before asking for slightly more than 10 mil for 6 years. Laine’s best season to this point is 76 pts. That puts him closer to 8-9 than 10 +

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For reference Mitch Marner has already had a 96 pt season before asking for slightly more than 10 mil for 6 years. Laine’s best season to this point is 76 pts. That puts him closer to 8-9 than 10 +

Yup. But IIRC Marner started by asking for more than what he got. Also, Marner gets about 2.5 A's for every G. He plays with either Tavares or Matthews, not Little.

That said, that is why Laine got a bridge deal after his ELC and Marner went straight to the big money. His actual pay this year was 16 mil, compared to Laine's 6 mil.

Lets see what Laine does in his next season before deciding what his next contract should or shouldn't be.

BTW, JMO but I wouldn't trade Marner for Laine straight up. Call me crazy if you like. Marner has scored 83 G in 300 games. Laine has scored 138 G in 305 games. I will take goals over assists anyday. Marner has also played more minutes in his fewer games 5535 to Laine's 5393. Laine is a big, physical presence who plays a 200' game. Marner? Not so much.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yup. But IIRC Marner started by asking for more than what he got. Also, Marner gets about 2.5 A's for every G. He plays with either Tavares or Matthews, not Little.

That said, that is why Laine got a bridge deal after his ELC and Marner went straight to the big money. His actual pay this year was 16 mil, compared to Laine's 6 mil.

Lets see what Laine does in his next season before deciding what his next contract should or shouldn't be.

BTW, JMO but I wouldn't trade Marner for Laine straight up. Call me crazy if you like. Marner has scored 83 G in 300 games. Laine has scored 138 G in 305 games. I will take goals over assists anyday. Marner has also played more minutes in his fewer games 5535 to Laine's 5393. Laine is a big, physical presence who plays a 200' game. Marner? Not so much.
Laine this season played with Schief and Connor and Ehlers. Hyman Mathews, vs Connor Schief.
Marner also pks so how bad can his d be? Those pk minutes add up to more minutes.
I’ll take goals over assist if they are an equal number. If someone has 20 more points and they are assists I’m giving my nod to mr. assist.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

Unfortunately we have the wrong coach for that. Doesn’t see the merit in pushing his offensive game. Rather he emphasizes defence first. Blows my mind how anyone could have such a potential gem right under his nose and choose to bang a square peg into a round hole until it’s dull!!!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Unfortunately we have the wrong coach for that. Doesn’t see the merit in pushing his offensive game. Rather he emphasizes defence first. Blows my mind how anyone could have such a potential gem right under his nose and choose to bang a square peg into a round hole until it’s dull!!!
That seems like one of those arguments where if Laine reaches potential it’s all his doing and if he doesn’t it’s all the coach’s fault.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine this season played with Schief and Connor and Ehlers. Hyman Mathews, vs Connor Schief.
Marner also pks so how bad can his d be? Those pk minutes add up to more minutes.
I’ll take goals over assist if they are an equal number. If someone has 20 more points and they are assists I’m giving my nod to mr. assist.

They give 2 A's on most goals, so I'll take Mr. Goals. :)

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
It has nothing to do with Maurice. Laine is spoonfed top PP time, and has very capable linemates. 50 goal scorers drive their lines, something Laine cannot do.
His lack of ability to pot 50 is on him and him alone.
A point per game physical winger with improving (albeit still poor) defense is still awesome though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
They give 2 A's on most goals, so I'll take Mr. Goals. :)
But that also means that the line is scoring when you are on the ice. Assists are so easy to come by, Laine should have more. And it’s not like it’s one or two more points, one season it was closer to 20.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But that also means that the line is scoring when you are on the ice. Assists are so easy to come by, Laine should have more. And it’s not like it’s one or two more points, one season it was closer to 20.

Laine is a goal scorer. He shoots first. When he doesn't have a good shot, he is also a very good playmaker. But he is more likely to shoot. Scoring goals is the object of the game, not making pretty plays. Playmakers help the goal scorers score but a goal scorer is the most valuable player in the game. And it isn't like Laine doesn't get any assists. He has 35 this year, to 28 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->