Hellebuyck for Vezina

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Matthews has the best wrister in the league at this point imo.

His ability to get his shot off in traffic is just unbelievable. Changing his angles, quick release. It's something that I notice he is just miles better at than Laine. Laine struggles to get shots off unless he has a lot of space.

I agree with what Valiquette is saying though, goalies are so good at stopping what they see. Unless there is a screen or significant puck movement before the shot they are likely to make the save.

Interesting side note as far as bombers go.

Matthews scored on 4 of 41 clear-sight shots from the slot so less than 10%

Eichel scored on 7 of 29 shots from the slot so which is 24% and led the league.

Now those sample sizes are not huge and it would be interesting to see if they persist but there is allot to be said for being able to drag and shoot through the triangle.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea these are so many nuances to this. If you take a guy like Austin Matthews he has one of the best releases in the league and he also led the league in high danger shots from the slot with 41 and one would assume he would have made hey. Here is the rub out of his 41 clear sighted shots out of the slot he only got 4 goals. Valiquette watched all 41 shots just to be sure why. Valiquette also watched all the goals he does score from and it ends up he scores shooting through a defenders triangle. He has the great drag and release that comes off quickly and surprises goalies. So that ends up being a much higher danger chance than his clear-sighted slot shots.

So cool that Valiquette and his team go through all the shots in their data base for context.

Incredible amount of work involved in this kind of study. I wonder how many people are involved?

Reactions: ps241

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Opened a thread about Hellebuyck's Vezina chances and encountered a discussion about Matthews' wrist shot :huh: :laugh:
Still pretty interesting though

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Opened a thread about Hellebuyck's Vezina chances and encountered a discussion about Matthews' wrist shot :huh: :laugh:
Still pretty interesting though

it’s just morphing off the Expected goals model data which is still fruit of the poison tree of goaltending and Vezina within reason I believe ;). X goals is a big proponent of Helle so exhibit A fir the good guys...... but...... yes I sense I might stray so thanks for the waning.

Reactions: jetsforever

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Incredible amount of work involved in this kind of study. I wonder how many people are involved?
I wonder who pays for this work? Does knowing this benefit/ actionable information or do all teams kind of this information already just don’t have numbers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wonder who pays for this work? Does knowing this benefit/ actionable information or do all teams kind of this information already just don’t have numbers.

If it is being made freely available, then it is most likely done by dedicated hobbyists. On this scale, I think it is more likely being done by professionals who sell their expertise on a contract basis. The information that comes out publicly is just a sample.

Reactions: ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If it is being made freely available, then it is most likely done by dedicated hobbyists. On this scale, I think it is more likely being done by professionals who sell their expertise on a contract basis. The information that comes out publicly is just a sample.
But do you think it has value or something they kind of know where their like huh that makes sense. That's why I was already doing that. Or is it like oh I gotta change this stuff up.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But do you think it has value or something they kind of know where their like huh that makes sense. That's why I was already doing that. Or is it like oh I gotta change this stuff up.

It appears to correct some misperceptions - so it certainly has value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad