Confirmed with Link: Helle and Scheifele re-signed 7x8.5M each

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is no guarantee blowing it up would not work either.
And there is no guarantee that this will work.

These deals give us a 4-5 year window where it should work. But Chevy still needs to manage the rest of the pieces.

We need a top pairing RD. If he can somehow get that it puts the team in a great spot.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Honestly , this board will have the knives out in 2-3 years into the new contracts is my guess.
I don't think we had any choice so let's hope it goes well for 4 years hopefully anyways.
If people thought Wheeler had it bad as his contract went along ...hooooboy for Scheifele.

( whipping boys are essential on HF :sarcasm: )
To me the big difference between the Wheeler contract and Scheifele's is how much we need a good center and those are way tougher to come by than a winger.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly , this board will have the knives out in 2-3 years into the new contracts is my guess.
I don't think we had any choice so let's hope it goes well for 4 years hopefully anyways.
If people thought Wheeler had it bad as his contract went along ...hooooboy for Scheifele.

Brah this board has had knives out for scheifele for years when he was getting paid less

Some of it by his own doing for sure with the fall off of his overall game since the 17-18 season. But this team crumbles without him in the POs offensively. yet apparently to some we're better off without him 🤔

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Now that we know we have helle for the next 8 years, I think it's crucial that his number of starts is managed properly, which means a capable backup is a huge priority every season

I'm thinking 55ish starts at this point would be ideal.. as he ages maybe it turns into more of a tandem/mentorship with DD for the last few years of the contract

Brah this board has had knives out for scheifele for years when he was getting paid less

Some of it by his own doing for sure with the fall off of his overall game since the 17-18 season. But this team crumbles without him in the POs offensively. yet apparently to some we're better off without him 🤔
This board never puts their knives away lol

They just rotate who they carve up. Schief has been a favorite target recently along with wheeler

Why not just accept that as guys age, their performance will drop off. There aren't many chelios's and teemus out there

Nov 24, 2006

I think you're likely correct in a way, but I'd say it's more likely 4-5 years before things turn south.

Hopefully we get full value for 7 years, but honestly, if we don't, the last couple of years will hopefully be buyout / trade friendly if we need it, and the cap will have gone up substantially,

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope we're aggressive at the trade deadline now if there are any holes in the roster that become obvious. Gotta imagine it's all in on the cup for the next couple of years now that we have these guys locked up.

If Lindholm is still not signed and we're looking good imagine adding him for a run this year, would Lucius + 1st do it?

Still the wrong way to go. We still have only 1 young Dman in our top 6 and he is a LHD. Two of our top 6 are still pending UFA, including our only RHS Dman who can actually play D. Our other 2 RD will be gone a year later. Morrissey won't last forever. Those TD assets need to be spent on acquiring replacement/better Dmen - with term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We need a top pairing RD. If he can somehow get that it puts the team in a great spot.

We need to replace 4 of our top 6. 2 after this season and 2 more after next. One way or another. Extending DeMelo for 2-3 years helps a bit. Not sure I would want him for any longer than that. 3 might even be too much. Would Dillon sign a 1 year extension?

Heinola, Chisholm & Salomonsson need to all hit. All we have after them is Lundmark & Kuzmin. I agree we need to spend some assets on a top pair RHD. Then hope our prospect pool can fill in the rest.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
We need to replace 4 of our top 6. 2 after this season and 2 more after next. One way or another. Extending DeMelo for 2-3 years helps a bit. Not sure I would want him for any longer than that. 3 might even be too much. Would Dillon sign a 1 year extension?

Heinola, Chisholm & Salomonsson need to all hit. All we have after them is Lundmark & Kuzmin. I agree we need to spend some assets on a top pair RHD. Then hope our prospect pool can fill in the rest.

I see a pretty easy transition on D over the next few years. Next year Heinola replaces Dillon. Re-sign Demelo. The following year Salomonsson replaces Pionk.

In two years…

Morrissey-Heinola
Samberg-Salomonsson
Chisholm-Demelo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see a pretty easy transition on D over the next few years. Next year Heinola replaces Dillon. Re-sign Demelo. The following year Salomonsson replaces Pionk.

In two years…

Morrissey-Heinola
Samberg-Salomonsson
Chisholm-Demelo

That's a possibility. But it assumes a lot. Starting with being able to sign DeMelo to an acceptable contract. Then all 3 prospects need to succeed at those levels.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
If you're curious, here is the buyout cost of the final year of the deal. Puckpedia is reporting that Scheifele's contract structure is the same as Hellebuyck's, so I think this applies to both.

1696951190463.png

Here is the cost of buying out the final two years:

1696951639434.png

Presented without comment :sarcasm:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Supprised, but maybe Helle and Scheif relaised this summer, their longterm contracts did not excist on the market. Oh well, up to Milic or Divicentis now to see if they can beat Helle.
I'd be fairly certain that Hellebuyck's camp started pivoting the second Sorokin's long-term deal @ 8x8.25 was announced. They must have hoped for a better comparable, but with that not materialising and the league-wide cap hell restricting trade activity, that was it for the 10 million dollar dream.

Both deals are absolutely fair in my books. Cheveldayoff once again managed to avoid the worst possible scenario here: we might not win with 37 and 55 leading the pack, but we also won't lose them for nothing and be left wandering aimlessly around the bubble for years.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Absolutely stoked about the extensions. Cap rising, and likely expansion(s) during the course of the contracts, the AAV's wont be nearly as worrisome as it would be if the cap stayed stagnant.
Honestly thought that a contract for 55 started at around 9-9.5 and Helly a 9.5-10.5 (either with the Jets or another team) so both at 8.5 feels very team friendly already, even if the last 1-3 years of their deals are more than their contributions.
We go from an unstable timeline with 5 important UFAs to now a very stable situation. It takes the weight off of putting the hopes and future of the franchise on all of our top prospects needing to pan out, to now being able to let them develop on their timeline and or utilizing some as valuable assets to target areas of need through trade.
With where some of our prospects are now, I don't see all the other UFA's being resigned, maybe one or two, but that will also open up more cap space for Chevy to make an impactful addition that could vault us back into a strong cup contender status.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
7 years at $8.5 million seems like a lot for a one way player that starts over 60 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone and is still a combined -33 over the last 2 seasons.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be fairly certain that Hellebuyck's camp started pivoting the second Sorokin's long-term deal @ 8x8.25 was announced. They must have hoped for a better comparable, but with that not materialising and the league-wide cap hell restricting trade activity, that was it for the 10 million dollar dream.

Both deals are absolutely fair in my books. Cheveldayoff once again managed to avoid the worst possible scenario here: we might not win with 37 and 55 leading the pack, but we also won't lose them for nothing and be left wandering aimlessly around the bubble for years.
Yep. Once Sorokin dropped that's basically your template for Helle. I think both are fair deals.
7 years at $8.5 million seems like a lot for a one way player that starts over 60 percent of his shifts in the offensive zone and is still a combined -33 over the last 2 seasons
Goals and points get you paid. He does need to improve a defensively though.

-21 of that - 33 is composed of ENG against. He's a -2 at 5v5 the last two years. Still not good esp with playing in front of Helle, but better...... Some linemates that could score would've helped as well.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Despite being probably our best overall player, I never got around to getting a Hellebuyck jersey. When I finally realized this and planned to get one, Helle was less than two years away from being a free agent, so I decided against it because I was worried he would just move on right after.

Well, now I’m happy to say I just ordered a white heritage Hellebuyck jersey :)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Quite a big accomplishment by Chevy to lock these guys down before the season starts. Re Scheif - now it is up to Bones to get him to play a two way game again. Given the holes that would have been in our roster without a clear starting keeper and a clear #1 forward, this was very wise.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

If I was a betting man ... I would say it was because of Vegas winning the Cup that caused a drop in the goalie market and that's why Sorokin was only $8.25 M x 8 deal.
Vegas proved you don't need a top goalie to win the Cup.
A goalie is only as good as his defense.
How many goals are scored on Hellebuyck on rebounds or defections?
Now tell me how many goals were scored on Vegas in the playoffs on rebounds or defections?
When you have a big defense blocking out opposing players any average goalie can stop shots that they can see. Throw in not having to worry about rebounds and you have an average goalie with a top GAA ... see the difference?
Now if Bobrovsky would have won the Cup for the Panthers ... I'm pretty sure Helly would have got a bigger contract and be playing for a team not named the Jets.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If I was a betting man ... I would say it was because of Vegas winning the Cup that caused a drop in the goalie market and that's why Sorokin was only $8.25 M x 8 deal.
Vegas proved you don't need a top goalie to win the Cup.
A goalie is only as good as his defense.
How many goals are scored on Hellebuyck on rebounds or defections?
Now tell me how many goals were scored on Vegas in the playoffs on rebounds or defections?
When you have a big defense blocking out opposing players any average goalie can stop shots that they can see. Throw in not having to worry about rebounds and you have an average goalie with a top GAA ... see the difference?
Now if Bobrovsky would have won the Cup for the Panthers ... I'm pretty sure Helly would have got a bigger contract and be playing for a team not named the Jets.
A good rule of thumb for understanding hockey success is to ignore 99 % of what happens in the playoffs. Any goalie can win any team any series against any other team, if he puts up a good five-game streak of inhuman goaltending regardless of how badly the team on the ice is getting beaten down. We remember 2018.

That said, you're not necessarily wrong. It is just stupidly difficult to replicate the system that a team like Boston has had for years, consistently making their goalies' lives a walk in a rubber-filled park. That's why paying a goalie that can achieve comparable results behind a trash heap defense is justified.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad